Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 01:13 AM   #1

Base Boxster 986 Questions

Hey guys. I have a pretty good chance to buy a 98 base boxster for a good price from a friend. I currently own a 3000GT VR4 pushing 450awhp, but have always loved porsches. I have just a couple questions before I decide to jump the gun or decline the offer.

Thanks ahead for taking your time reading this. Any comment is appreciated. Hopefully you guys can help me make up my mind.

1. This particular boxster have 61k miles. 60k tune up is done, but is that considered high mileage for this car?

2. What mods are available for Boxster? I have googled / searched on here, but I have not found much for boxster. Basic bolt on, and a super charger kit to make 230ish RWHP. Nothing to get too excited about. There doesnt seem to be any one offering a "high HP boxster". With 11:1 compression ratio, I wonder if such a thing is even possible .. LOL .

3. If high HP application is possible, what are the weak points of the boxster? With my current car, the transfer case seems to be the gremlin in most high boost cars.

4. I have read some threads about blown engines on boxsters. A new engine install could cost ~ $10k when all is said and done. A 3.8 swap is WAY too expensive ($36K if i recall). Is there any companies out there selling stock or upgraded internals for rebuilds and such (hopefully to lower compression also)?

PS. I know that perhaps some of you think modifying porsches as sacrilegious, but to each his own I say. Also, if you are going to tell me that the best mod I can make is driving school, you can keep that comment to yourself also.

Last edited by vijen6; 07-31-2006 at 01:50 AM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
1. This particular boxster have 61k miles. 60k tune up is done, but is that considered high mileage for this car?

No it isnt high mileage. That is less then 10k per year. Ask him if the engine has been replaced or clutch has been changed before. You might want to check in on when the brakes were serviced as well. Ask if it has had any RMS failures.

2. What mods are available for Boxster? I have googled / searched on here, but I have not found much for boxster. Basic bolt on, and a super charger kit to make 230ish RWHP. Nothing to get too excited about. There doesnt seem to be any one offering a "high HP boxster". With 11:1 compression ratio, I wonder if such a thing is even possible .. LOL .

Don't underestimate 230 RWHP on any Porsche. I read somewhere that with the kit the car runs low 5 second 0-60,I dont know about the 1/4 mile though,thats only with a 5 speed and rear wheel drive. Boxsters are about being balanced,not all out speed. Drive the Boxster and compare it to your 300GT in handling and braking,tell me what you think. 3000 GT VR-4 are extremely fast cars,so it will faster then the Boxster. You can supercharge it,exhuast,intake,headers,by-pass cats,bore the engine and then I think it would keep up with your 3000 GT but you are talking almost $15k+ in engine work. Not worth the price.

Best mods in my opinoin are putting 18 inch wheels if you dont have them already. The steering is so so so much crisper then the standard 17 inch wheels.

Buying aviator glasses for all the cruising you will do,ITS A CONVERTIBLE,WHICH MEANS BUTTLOADS OF FUN DAILY,you dont have to gun it to have fun!

3. If high HP application is possible, what are the weak points of the boxster? With my current car, the transfer case seems to be the gremlin in most high boost cars.

Oh boy. There are RMS failures(mostly 97-99),linear wall issues(99's), the clutchs wear out easily if you dont treat them right. It is very easy for the MAF to get dirty due to ANY aftermarket intake filter/system. The o2 sensors seem to die early on these cars(60k-100k),and all 4 should be replaced at once,not when you feel like it. The coolant tanks have been known to leak and crack.

If you arent willing to put in some time maintaining it you better have a few grand laying around. Oil changes go for $180+,alignments $150+,spark plug change $150+,etc, you get the idea. The car has already had the 60k maintaince so your ahead of that,but you never known what could break. Bad MAF,$250 D.I.Y. or $600 for dealership. Bad o2 sensors,$450 D.I.Y. or $750 dealer.
Its your call in the end.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 AM   #3

Yeah. The 3000GT is a fast car despite its "hefty" weight, and no doubt the boxster being a convertible is more for cruising the strip. My concern is that because I am used to 450awhp on tap, the boxster will feel sluggish to me (150rwhp).

Porsches have always been at the top of my list of cars to own in my lifetime, but there are just those times when I want to be snapped back into my seat and I am just afraid the boxster is not capable of that .. within a reasonable budget.

And yes, I already have the aviators. Just gotta dust em off and cruise. =]
Old 07-31-2006, 05:46 AM   #4

Smile

"but there are just those times when I want to be snapped back into my seat and I am just afraid the boxster is not capable of that .. within a reasonable budget."

This is not gonna happen with the Boxster, it is just not that kind of car.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:11 AM   #5

There are some very high horsepower Boxsters out there (911 turbo conversions for example)- but they didn't get that way "bolt on" and they certainly weren't cheap. One of the concerns with adding too much more horsepower seems to be whether the car can actually handle it without replacing the entire drivetrain. Personally, I think it's the high potential cost of replacing an engine if it blows due to the modifications that keeps so many people away from supercharging or even engine swapping. It'd suck to spend $12k on a supercharger plus install only to blow an engine and have to come up with another $12k....

There have been a few discussions on nitrous and while I've "heard" of some doing it, I don't believe anyone on this forum has yet taken this route (despite some heavy prodding by yours truly).

I do wonder whether as the prices of '97-'99 Boxsters come down whether we'll see more engine swaps and horsepower modifications. I guess if you can pick up a Boxster for around $15k you can drop another $10-15k in it without too much concern.

Good luck.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:22 AM   #6

Thanks alot for the great replies guys.

I guess the boxster will never be a high hp rocket unless someone can make a low compression rebuild kit ... But if someone is building this kit already, might as well see if you can custom a stroker crank. hint hint .. LOL.

With the prices of getting a 911 3.4 block. Then add in the prices for a proper set of snails, you are approaching used 911 territories. Kinda like the guy that swapped an SLR engine into an SLK. It is most likely something I would never do.

My brain say to pass on boxster and get more mods for my VR4. But my heart says Boxster. LOL. The more that I research, the more I want a boxster. But knowing how limited the after market is for this car, I will pass on this offer. I want an Boxster S now.

A little out of budget ... but oh wells, the heart wants what the heart wants. Maybe in a few years, when I really crave that snap neck acceleration again, I can trade in for a Viper. =]

Thanks again guys.

Forgot to add. Can anyone explain to me .. why we can not simply rebuild blown porsche blocks? Its just the same piston / rods / crankshaft design as any other engine ... isnt it?

Last edited by vijen6; 07-31-2006 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #7

"I want an Boxster S now."

Yes, good move!

On the issue of rebuild, I defer to Doc Willen and Minnesota Jim to answer that question.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #8

ttt in hopes of getting one final answer

Why is it that porsche engine can not be rebuilt? Is it simply because its Porsche's policy to not allow its dealerships to open up the engine and perform rebuilds? Or is it for some technical reason?

Right now, to me it makes no sense. All 4 stroke engine should be basically the same. Operates using mostly the same parts. Thus all engine should be rebuildable.

Is it possible for someone to tear apart a boxster block, and from there build "aftermarket" upgrade parts such as low compression pistons, stroker cranks ect ect ??
Old 08-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
A little out of budget ... but oh wells, the heart wants what the heart wants. Maybe in a few years, when I really crave that snap neck acceleration again, I can trade in for a Viper. =]
It your ALL or 99% about acceleration then the Viper is for you,just not the early year Vipers(Boxster S can hang with them).
Old 08-01-2006, 06:14 AM   #10

Hi,

From what you've revealed about you and your driving in this thread, I don't think the Boxster (or the Boxster S ) is the right car for you. I think you'll be disappointed with it down the line.

The reason the engine is not rebuilt is that it is not cost-effective. The Man-hours, special tools and such make it a more expensive proposition than just swapping in a new one...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote