Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Smile Desnorkeled my Boxster on the weekend!

Yes, dispite the negative things that can happen with desnorkeling I decided to do it anyway and i have only 3 words to say...F**K YEAH BABY! It sounds so freaken cool and awesome under acceleration. I also installed a K&N filter BUTTTTTTTT i know thats a no no because of the oils in the filter can screw up the MAS and O2's.....but i thought to myself (the oils in the filter CAN be washed out) so i washed the oils out and installed it....i feel alittle bit more ease of accelerate when the car gets moving in 1st gear and theres less jerking between shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd....In other words i have more throttle reponse which i wanted badly cause hate having to match the RPMs before letting off the clutch into 2nd to prevent jerking back and forth.

I dont smoke and i think im going to plug the airfilter box hole with a rag when i wash the car.

CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #2

CJ,

Not sure what you mean when you say you "washed the oil out". That oil on the K&N filter is necessary for the filter's correct operation... without the oil it won't catch the smaller particles.

Gary
Gary Gaukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I also installed a K&N filter BUTTTTTTTT i know thats a no no because of the oils in the filter can screw up the MAS and O2's.....but i thought to myself (the oils in the filter CAN be washed out) so i washed the oils out and installed it....
Can that cause any sort of issues?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #4

Yes you are correct, but it is the same thing as using one of those 300+ dollar intake systems. They dont use oil but they are also less restrictive like the K&N filters...without oil also. Im sure ill be fine without the oils in the filter than with them.

What i mean by "washed the oil out" is "washed the oil out" the oil can be removed by doing the first step of the K&N Recharge Kit...which cleans the oils and dirty/dust outta the filter...i just didnt do the 2nd step which is spray on new oil.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #5

Yes just like anyother performance intake filter that doesnt come with a coat of oil....you run the risk of microscopic dust particles from the air going past the air filter, into your intake, and out your exhaust but the particles will be so small that it shouldnt effect anything....The stock filter does also allow some dust to go through, Pretty much there isnt an airfilter that blocks all 100% of dust in the air.

The K&N filter (while dry and oil free) can block fine sand and small, medium and large paritcles of dust, which is good enough for me. Im ok with microscopic dust particle getting through cause they wont effect your cars performance....i probably wouldnt recommend for box owners in very dusty areas though. I live in San Pedro so theres alot of moister in the air and that knocks alot of dust down outta the air.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
bmussatti

CJ_Boxster, can you explain how you will keep dirt out of your engine now? Do you plan on changing you oil sooner than the normal interval? This may help.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #7

Well the K&N will block the dirt, If you ever look at the K&N, it is still a hardy airfilter, it isnt just a fish net stocking LOL. Well i always plan on changing my oils every 10k miles rather than the 15k the dealer recommends.....FYI, air from the intake doesnt go into the crankcase with the engine oil. Ill probably have 1-3% more dust particules that will settle on the cyclindar walls when the engine stops but once the engine is running and igniting that feul, the dust will run its course through the head, then the cyclindar, then back out the head, then out the exhaust....remember, we are talking particules, not rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
CJ_Boxster, can you explain how you will keep dirt out of your engine now? Do you plan on changing you oil sooner than the normal interval? This may help.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:26 PM   #8

we're talking smaller than skin cells and thinner than hair. You need to get a real good look at a K&N filter like i did....Its more than sufficent to block nearly all dust and it a highly superior design over the standard paper design.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #9

and BY NO MEANS am i just going to "set it and forget it" I will be checking on the airfilter every month in a half to clean and inspect it.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #10

Another person trying to defeat what the manufacturer intended.

Are you serious?!?!?! K & N placed oil on the filter FOR A REASON!!! Then you come by...and by looking at it you determine that it'll stop certain particles not big enough to hurt your motor?!?! And then you can estimate that "Only 1-3% more particles are entering your intake"?!?!

This thread is great!!! The dust will "settle on the cyclindar walls when the engine stops but once the engine is running and igniting that feul, the dust will run its course through the head, then the cyclindar, then back out the head, then out the exhaust".

HAHAHAHAHAH!

Don't complain to anyone when you have problems my friend!

BTW--
The filter oil on the K & N will mess up the MAF...not the O2 sensors.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #11

If you want real HP gains remove the air filter altogether.... Porsche was stupid for even putting one there in the first place.... it's obviously a reduntant part. The rest of the air box and MAS should keep out 70-73% of the rocks and small birds.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #12

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Rhosisoftheliver
If you want real HP gains remove the air filter altogether.... Porsche was stupid for even putting one there in the first place.... it's obviously a reduntant part. The rest of the air box and MAS should keep out 70-73% of the rocks and small birds.
Actually, without the air filter, it can swallow your first born!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #13

ok, haha to all that lol. Dont worry, if i have an issue related to installing the K&N filter. then Ill make sure to let you know so i can get an "I Told you so", but trust me, your alittle overvelous which isnt a bad thing....answer me a question will you: What do you all think of those $300+ intake kits? are they safer than using a oil free K&N filter?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
ok, haha to all that lol. Dont worry, if i have an issue related to installing the K&N filter. then Ill make sure to let you know so i can get an "I Told you so", but trust me, your alittle overvelous which isnt a bad thing....answer me a question will you: What do you all think of those $300+ intake kits? are they safer than using a oil free K&N filter?
For the most part, I think I am accurate in saying that the guys who have purchased the modified intake systems are NOT all that happy with them, ie, the money out vs the performance they have gotten.

It seems that Porsche has done a nice job on the stock breathing apparatus.

Others?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #15

I agree with that, But i always want more out of my porsche. Im sure my engine will not blow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

It seems that Porsche has done a nice job on the stock breathing apparatus.

Others?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #16

Bro, sweet Ron Popeil Quote...I like how you just slid it in there...no effort. Well played!

Quote:
and BY NO MEANS am i just going to "set it and forget it" I will be checking on the airfilter every month in a half to clean and inspect it.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Bro, sweet Ron Popeil Quote...I like how you just slid it in there...no effort. Well played!
But wait! There is more!! If you act now!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Well the K&N will block the dirt, If you ever look at the K&N, it is still a hardy airfilter, it isnt just a fish net stocking LOL. Well i always plan on changing my oils every 10k miles rather than the 15k the dealer recommends.....FYI, air from the intake doesnt go into the crankcase with the engine oil. Ill probably have 1-3% more dust particules that will settle on the cyclindar walls when the engine stops but once the engine is running and igniting that feul, the dust will run its course through the head, then the cyclindar, then back out the head, then out the exhaust....remember, we are talking particules, not rocks.
Hi,

Your information is uninformed and anecdotal. The K&N Filter will not filter anything smaller than 30 microns with no Oil as opposed to 5 microns for a paper filter. Also, most of the dust you refer to is composed of Silicates which are harder than the Alloy used in the engine and will cause premature wear.

You are also wrong about the dust not getting into the Oil, this WILL occur and will then circulate through the Oil Galleries and Bearing shells (which are again softer than the engine alloys). Using the K&N will be comparable to living in a High Dust environment and Oil s/b changed at 7500 mi. or less. This has been repeatedly shown in ISO 5011 Testing.

Also, the K&N will clog in 1/3 the time of a standard filter totally negating any supposed gains. The Filter has bigger holes in it, and so it admits more dirt/dust into the engine and the Oil - where do you think the dirt in your Oil comes from? Some are combustion by-products, but you'll find substantial silicate content which isn't such a byproduct.

You can do as you wish, but I hate to see anyone deliberately abusing fine machinery, especially due to ignorance and passing this misinformation on to others. Any way you look at it, it's a bad move...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:16 AM   #19

Garage
What intrigues me about the add on HP equipment..

for Porsches is that there seems to be a supposition that the Porsche engineers either don't have the time, money or smarts to get every last bit of HP out of their own power plant. That strikes me as just a bit presumptive.

Automotive engineers, I think, try to design a powerplant that will --hopefully-- provide maximum output over a range of operating conditions and operate reliably
for an extended period of time.

K&N's goal is a bit more modest; it markets a product that lets more air through an automotive intake system than a stock paper filter--but with the downside that it doesn't filter as well. Given that the HP increase is marginal, if any at all, this strikes me as the worst of all automotive bargains--paying more for less with a big potential downside.

Or to put it anyother way, if the product was so great that it could magically add 5-10HP with no downside, wouldn't you think porsche would make it the OE air filter? Seems like a much easier way to get that last 10HP out of a car rather going from vario cam to vario cam +.

Then again, it's your $
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #20

Welll... don't discount the fact that the engineers are trying to hit noise and emissions targets as well. There ARE things that the engineers have done that by nature suck up some of the power of the engine.

But, I haven't seen anything that provides real horsepower gains on these cars that is cost-effective in any way.