Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Risky to drive with a leaky top?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but the plastic window in my top is ripping out, and i was just wondering if it will damage anything to drive it in the rain? Im going on a trip and wanna take my car, but rain can get in through the gap where the window is ripping out. Im already working with a shop to replace the top, but in case its not done, i just wanna be sure im not gonna fry something by getting wet.

Joe

Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #2

Garage
Get a car cover for the trip. While you are driving very little water gets to the rear window, even in rain. At least as long as you are moving. The trouble is when the car is sitting. I would also seal the window from the inside with duct tape.

If water does get in through the window it will make its way to the floor in the cabin.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #3

Great idea, i never thought of using my car cover.

Joe
Old 06-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

To clarify, the risk is that water gets into the cabin and under the seats which could damage the immobilizer (which is mounted under the driver's seat). If the immobilizer stops working, the car will not start (the engine won't even turn over) and you'll likely be stranded.

In regards to using a car cover, be sure that your car cover is water proof. Many car covers are not really water proof since often they rely on a chemical treatment to the fabric that will repel water when new but allows water to go thru the fabric once the treatment gets worn/weathered/aged.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #5

Out of curiosity, will the car start after it dries out if the immobilizer gets wet?

Joe
Old 06-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
I am No. 1348

Garage
Get some Flexseal! LOL
Old 06-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipershot View Post
Out of curiosity, will the car start after it dries out if the immobilizer gets wet?

Joe
Maybe. If not, You're looking at a decent bill (~$1K) to get another immobilizer (and associated parts).
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #8

These cars have a top?
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipershot View Post

Joe
If you're lucky it will but most of the time it won't. I wouldn't take the chance but that's me. 1/3 of the boxsters I buy at auction got written off because of a wet immobilizer. You also don't want your carpet getting wet because once it's wet, it doesn't dry out on it's own. The insulation is a sponge that soaks water in easily but doesn't let the water out.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
To clarify, the risk is that water gets into the cabin and under the seats which could damage the immobilizer (which is mounted under the driver's seat). If the immobilizer stops working, the car will not start (the engine won't even turn over) and you'll likely be stranded.

In regards to using a car cover, be sure that your car cover is water proof. Many car covers are not really water proof since often they rely on a chemical treatment to the fabric that will repel water when new but allows water to go thru the fabric once the treatment gets worn/weathered/aged.

This is true of the Porsche car cover made for a Boxster or any other cover I have ever had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk