Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Garage
Boxster S oil for Texas?

Hello everyone! I just bought my first Porsche ever and I'm about to do an oil change on it. I know the oem oil is mobil 1 0w40, but that seems a little thin for driving in the Texas summer. What would be the best weight to use to deal with the oppressive heat of Texas summers? I have the 2000 year model if that helps

Sdav86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Rotella T6 5W-40. Get the 2.5 Gallon jug. I'm not kidding.

There's an approved oil list. There's lots of posts/threads you can browse or search.

Casrtol Edge/Syntec 10W-40 or 5W-50 are good as is the Mobil 1 10W-40

Some say that Joe Gibbs DT40 'Driven Racing Oil' is the only oil they will put in their M96 (not on the approved list yet?).

Some people say it's not polite to talk about religion, politics, or another man's oil until you have been properly introduced.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Garage
Would the Mobil 1 5w40 be a good choice for an all year oil?
Sdav86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdav86 View Post
Would the Mobil 1 5w40 be a good choice for an all year oil?
My vote? ...Yes. Good. "Approved"

However the owners manual says 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50 for 50F/10C.

Oils change formulation over the years, and the reason manufacturers recommend a particular oil change over the years. The can of worms gets big.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

I'm one of those "I only use Joe Gibbs Racing Driven DT-40" people (because the guy who rebuilt my engine insisted that I use it), but all of the oils recommended here should be fine. The main thing is to change it often (every 3K to 5K miles), and don't put your car away for the winter (if you do) with dirty oil in it.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:52 AM   #6
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Birddog....

....and I are BOTH "I only use DT40" guys. Same reason.

Live it.

Love it.

Learn it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jgr-02406?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-driven-racing-oil&gclid=CIiGk6KDgdQCFZa4wAodPMUJ5g

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
Remember, in the oil viscosity rating, the first number relates to the oil's behavior when cold, the second number to it's behavior when hot. Think of a 0W40 oil as a somewhat-thick oil that doesn't thicken further when it is cold. It's a 'viscosity 0' at cold ambient temperatures, i.e. Winter, but a 40-viscosity at engine operating temperatures.
I run 0w40 Mobil 1 in Alabama with good oil pressures across the range of our temps, down to 20F on winter mornings, up to 103F on summer afternoons.
An alternative to the pricey Mobil 1 might be Shell Rotella T6,a full-synthetic oil, available in 5W40 for $135 for a 5-gallon bucket, sometimes on sale for $105. This oil is primarily intended for Diesel engines, but what makes the most difference in engine lubrication and resulting engine life is viscosity and CLEANLINESS. I've never seen an engine worn out by excessive oil changes.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

Your motor is going to run at the thermostat-controlled temperature whether you're driving in Texas or Maine. Maintain your cooling system, of course. Your engine generates most heat not in Texas, but when the motor is working hardest, e.g. on a top speed extended Autobahn run. You'll never do that, but your car's cooling system can handle that.

Porsche A40-spec oils are all synthetics, and with synthetics there are no temperature problems ... basically your only concern is starting a cold engine and how cold ambient temperature is at the time.

A few years back I read Mobil specs for all their synthetics ... there was no difference in cold pour point between 0W, 5W, and 10W. Iirc, all were -55 F. 15W-50 was a few degrees warmer.

40 is 40 no matter what the W number is. Etc.

Follow owners manual; don't worry, be happy.

2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote