Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Capri Tools 1/2 in. Drive 16 mm XZN Triple Square Bit Socket-CP30055 - The Home Depot

IS this the socket used to remove the drain plug in the 5 spd transmission?
Vidyashankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidyashankara View Post
Capri Tools 1/2 in. Drive 16 mm XZN Triple Square Bit Socket-CP30055 - The Home Depot

IS this the socket used to remove the drain plug in the 5 spd transmission?
Is that same socket for 2003 Boxster 5 spd Trans.?

I'm newbie I just purchased this car 3 months ago has 71K miles no service record or one's manual. When do I replace the Trans. Fluid? at 100K ?
JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC IN IL View Post
Is that same socket for 2003 Boxster 5 spd Trans.?

I'm newbie I just purchased this car 3 months ago has 71K miles no service record or one's manual. When do I replace the Trans. Fluid? at 100K ?
According to Bentley should be the same socket.

On how frequently to change the transmission oil opinions vary. The Bentley manual (which I assume is based on Porsche recommendations) says only every 90k miles. Wayne, in his 101 Projects book, recommends every 30k miles. I tend toward somewhere in between.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
According to Bentley should be the same socket.

On how frequently to change the transmission oil opinions vary. The Bentley manual (which I assume is based on Porsche recommendations) says only every 90k miles. Wayne, in his 101 Projects book, recommends every 30k miles. I tend toward somewhere in between.

Great! Thank you for your replay. I appreciate it.

One more thing I know engine oil been extensively discussed in this forum but I'm still confused What oil weight I should use. Should I use 0w-40 Mobil? 15W-40 ? Can I use castrol or penzoil instead of Mobil one? I drive the car leisurely I don't track>
JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC IN IL View Post
What oil weight I should use. Should I use 0w-40 Mobil? 15W-40 ? Can I use castrol or penzoil instead of Mobil one? I drive the car leisurely I don't track>
People have discussed motor oil choices ad nauseum here and elsewhere online. If you want to hear all the opinions, you're gonna need to use the "Search" feature. You should do this when you have many hours at your disposal. Most people here have drifted away from the Mobil One---apparently the formulation changed a few years back (to something less desirable than previously). As far as weights, generally you can't go too wrong with 10w40 weight. Some in warmer climates I guess will go heavier, perhaps 15w50 or 20w50. I use Castrol 10w40 and it's been fine. I think it's pretty well agreed that regularity of oil changes is more important than what you use.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote