Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #1

Dansk on a 986S

Hi guys, hope you can help. I'm struggling to get the answer I need on Youtube/forum search so thought I'd ask. I've got an 03 986S and looking at a Dansk exhaust for it.

I think Dansk split them into three...(?):

- Sport OE: Almost OEM
- Sport Sound: louder than OEM but not obnoxious...(?)
- Super Sound: Loud as hell (?)

... I think I want the middle one, does anyone have it? I need it fairly quiet at low revs / around town, and for it to sing when you go for it....but no annoying resonance at motorway speeds. Anyone have audio clips or experience with resonance levels?

I found this one on Youtube which is apparently the right one, but doesn't help with motorway drone.

(I have to replace whats on the carso bypass etc not an option)

Thanks!

BXSTR986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXSTR986S View Post
Hi guys, hope you can help. I'm struggling to get the answer I need on Youtube/forum search so thought I'd ask. I've got an 03 986S and looking at a Dansk exhaust for it.

I think Dansk split them into three...(?):

- Sport OE: Almost OEM
- Sport Sound: louder than OEM but not obnoxious...(?)
- Super Sound: Loud as hell (?)

... I think I want the middle one, does anyone have it? I need it fairly quiet at low revs / around town, and for it to sing when you go for it....but no annoying resonance at motorway speeds. Anyone have audio clips or experience with resonance levels?

I found this one on Youtube which is apparently the right one, but doesn't help with motorway drone.

(I have to replace whats on the carso bypass etc not an option)

Thanks!

This is the ideal 986 muffler:

Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
This is the ideal 986 muffler:

This really helps.
itskenallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itskenallen View Post
This really helps.
Looks like a nicely polished stock one.

Anyone got one they dont want?
onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I bought this....

...and it is PERFECT for a daily driver.

Just buy it.

You're welcome!

http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/2_7L__180_kW-13-41/-/-/item/item_details/VID_47503850-VCD_74671390-gid_0-sort_4-display_50-item_BES98605000S/BES98605000S_Sport_Muffler_`Brombacher`_986_S_Boxs ter__Sound_Version__Stainless_Steel__2x90mm.html
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 AM   #6

I had a dansk sausage muffler once and was NOT impressed. It was only 3 LBS lighter, wasn't much louder and the inner exhaust tubes were the same size as stock.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

Garage
[QUOTE=onaFLYer;531032]Looks like a nicely polished stock one.

That's how the Dansk Sport muffler comes, less internal sound absorbing packing material.

Lighter & louder with zero resonance
Old 03-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #8

The combination of the Dansk sausage muffler (bought used, dents courtesy of previous owner) and hollowed out secondary cats (painted high temp copper, just because) is a wonderful package. Slightly louder than stock, but a much lower growl frequency. Sounds great when you put your foot into it. Combo saved 20+ pounds.

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I don't really fancy spending $$$ on fitting a stock muffler (the car already has an aftermarket one I want rid of, so replacement necessary). I could, but seems a wasted opportunity....

It's the Dansk Sports `sound rather than the 'sausage' version I'm looking at I think?

Exhaust Muffler / Silencer Sports Exhaust. Porsche Boxster 986 - 98622094300SEXP | Design 911
Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I have this one below. It is throatier than the stock exhaust and has no drone at all. Really like the exhaust tips too. It's not as loud as a bypassed exhaust, but I'm fine with it.

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=3395

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 03-24-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #11

When I was shopping around for an exhaust alternative to the stock muffler I looked at Dansk, Fabspeed, and the cheap eBay mufflers. I couldn't justify spending the money for the Dansk or the Fabspeed, at least not with all the other more important items my car needed. And I heard a lot of complaints about drone from those that were using the eBay mufflers. In the end, I decided to just do the "Pedro" mod to my existing muffler, welding in bypass pipes much like the Fister. I've been riding with that for a year now, and I've decided to go back to stock. I have a used stock muffler being shipped to me now. Here's why: first, I'm just not crazy about the sound. It sounds great when you get on it, but for around town driving below 4k rpm, it's just a little too belchy and crude sounding. Very un-Porschelike. I hated it. I think the Fister has a modification that eliminates this issue. Additionally, the PSE, which also uses bypass pipes, has a set of valves that control the sound at lower RPMs.
As a side note, I was talking to a fellow PCA member who has been a Boxster guy for many years. He told me that the boat-anchor muffler system was designed that way for a reason -- it was the only way the engineers could eliminate the drone issue. The weight of the muffler kills the vibration harmonics that are a characteristic of these cars.
If you end up going with the Dansk, make sure you come back and post. I'd like to hear what you think. If your experience is positive, maybe I'll pick one up the next time I have a cool grand burning a hole in my pocket. I'd also encourage you to check out the Fister. A few members here have used their program and they seem pretty happy with the results.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #12

Garage
Getting someone else's perspective on exhaust note is as different as the number of exhausts on the market; I think you just have to go out and hear the note from others in real-time
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
When I was shopping around for an exhaust alternative to the stock muffler I looked at Dansk, Fabspeed, and the cheap eBay mufflers. I couldn't justify spending the money for the Dansk or the Fabspeed, at least not with all the other more important items my car needed. And I heard a lot of complaints about drone from those that were using the eBay mufflers. In the end, I decided to just do the "Pedro" mod to my existing muffler, welding in bypass pipes much like the Fister. I've been riding with that for a year now, and I've decided to go back to stock. I have a used stock muffler being shipped to me now. Here's why: first, I'm just not crazy about the sound. It sounds great when you get on it, but for around town driving below 4k rpm, it's just a little too belchy and crude sounding. Very un-Porschelike. I hated it. I think the Fister has a modification that eliminates this issue. Additionally, the PSE, which also uses bypass pipes, has a set of valves that control the sound at lower RPMs.
As a side note, I was talking to a fellow PCA member who has been a Boxster guy for many years. He told me that the boat-anchor muffler system was designed that way for a reason -- it was the only way the engineers could eliminate the drone issue. The weight of the muffler kills the vibration harmonics that are a characteristic of these cars.
If you end up going with the Dansk, make sure you come back and post. I'd like to hear what you think. If your experience is positive, maybe I'll pick one up the next time I have a cool grand burning a hole in my pocket. I'd also encourage you to check out the Fister. A few members here have used their program and they seem pretty happy with the results.
I think you'd like the Dansk then. I always thought the self hacked Pedro's exhausts sounded like mufflers with holes in them at low revs. The Dansk sounds similar to the stock exhaust but more of it (more loud and throatier) and still like a Porsche, but not too loud. I weighed it against the stock base muffler I had before it, and it was only 2 pounds lighter (perhaps some baffling removed), and no drone. I still think the GHL exhaust sounds the best for the 986, but the company doesn't exist anymore and they drone like heck.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #14

I would love to hear a sample of the Dansk on a 986. My father has a Dansk system on his 911SC and its absolutely glorious.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
itskenallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:10 AM   #15

Thanks again to all,

The exhaust on the car now is a EuroCup GT with EuroCup GT cats. It's too loud and the cats are knackered, hence the replacement http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/65506-droning-what-i-cant-hear-you.html was really useful though... I suspect the issue with mine is the 'twin set up' as described later in the thread. See image below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
I have this one below. It is throatier than the stock exhaust and has no drone at all. Really like the exhaust tips too. It's not as loud as a bypassed exhaust, but I'm fine with it.
Thats the 'next one up' on the loudness scale so now torn between the Sport Sound and yours Don't have a video do you?
Attached Images

Last edited by BXSTR986S; 03-25-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #16
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXSTR986S View Post
Thanks again to all,

The exhaust on the car now is a EuroCup GT with EuroCup GT cats. It's too loud and the cats are knackered, hence the replacement http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/65506-droning-what-i-cant-hear-you.html was really useful though... I suspect the issue with mine is the 'twin set up' as described later in the thread. See image below.

Thats the 'next one up' on the loudness scale so now torn between the Sport Sound and yours Don't have a video do you?
Ok, you'll be disappointed in the regular sound version if you think that one is less loud than mine. My super sound version sounds like the below at revs. There's a nice tone to the exhaust with less of that whine at wind down from revs that I don't like about the stock exhaust. It is not a loud exhaust though by any means compared to the bypassed ones at low revs. It won't be a good choice if you are looking for attention while driving through local neighborhoods. For me, it's a nice choice that I'm happy with because my wife doesn't complain about it (she did when she rode in my friend's Boxster with the GHL).

Dansk Video:

https://youtu.be/IGsbMhGsTKQ

Compare to stock exhaust which sounds like a washing machine IMO:

https://youtu.be/TK9Le_BiaLQ

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 03-25-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #17

Thanks for this,

Yup the one I have now is too loud / boomy / drones at speed - I just recorded it at start up and its 113DB. It sets car alarms off if I rev it in a multi storey. I don't want that.

Stock, on the other hand, is too quiet / dull, agreed. So I am looking for something with a decent growl, louder at idle but not obnoxious, and no annoying drone. Decided it will definitely be the Dansk, so now just too choose between a Sport Sound or Super Sound...
Old 03-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
It's hard to find a nice sounding exhaust without drone. The factory PSE works well, but very pricey and hard to find used. There are others out there without drone. You are in the UK, right, so I've heard there are some choices like the Oettle, Carnewal internally modified exhausts which will probably sound nice but without drone. FVD Brombacher puts out a nice exhaust. Also, there's Cargraphic for 986, but also very pricey. Good luck in your decision. Just know that the Dansks are not very loud, so if you still want loud and racy, you should look into other options.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #19

Hi guys, thanks for the help on this, a little update. I went ahead with the Dansk Sport Sound. Much happier with it. At first, it seemed just as loud, but the difference is at idle, around town and on motorways when you don't want to be creating a scene (the EuroCup GT set off alarms in multi storey car parks, for example). It DOES still drone at certain revs, but the good news for me is not at cruising speeds. Motorways, A-Roads and town driving drastically improved, as is idling....but under load its still loud enough for me and a bit throatier.

I'll try to get an audio clip of it soon as well.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #20

Not sure if anyone will still see this thread....

But my original Porsche Sport Exhaust, the one with the by pass pipes along the front is pretty bust. I've a 986 S 2001.

I enjoy the sound from it and the style so really not happy at having to change it

I'd like to know I'd the Danske Super Sound gives similar sound to the original PSE?

And what people's thoughts are on removing the by pass pipes from current exhaust and having them attached to a new danske super sound, would it be worth it?

Ianbadams is offline   Reply With Quote