Thread: Dansk on a 986S
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
When I was shopping around for an exhaust alternative to the stock muffler I looked at Dansk, Fabspeed, and the cheap eBay mufflers. I couldn't justify spending the money for the Dansk or the Fabspeed, at least not with all the other more important items my car needed. And I heard a lot of complaints about drone from those that were using the eBay mufflers. In the end, I decided to just do the "Pedro" mod to my existing muffler, welding in bypass pipes much like the Fister. I've been riding with that for a year now, and I've decided to go back to stock. I have a used stock muffler being shipped to me now. Here's why: first, I'm just not crazy about the sound. It sounds great when you get on it, but for around town driving below 4k rpm, it's just a little too belchy and crude sounding. Very un-Porschelike. I hated it. I think the Fister has a modification that eliminates this issue. Additionally, the PSE, which also uses bypass pipes, has a set of valves that control the sound at lower RPMs.
As a side note, I was talking to a fellow PCA member who has been a Boxster guy for many years. He told me that the boat-anchor muffler system was designed that way for a reason -- it was the only way the engineers could eliminate the drone issue. The weight of the muffler kills the vibration harmonics that are a characteristic of these cars.
If you end up going with the Dansk, make sure you come back and post. I'd like to hear what you think. If your experience is positive, maybe I'll pick one up the next time I have a cool grand burning a hole in my pocket. I'd also encourage you to check out the Fister. A few members here have used their program and they seem pretty happy with the results.
I think you'd like the Dansk then. I always thought the self hacked Pedro's exhausts sounded like mufflers with holes in them at low revs. The Dansk sounds similar to the stock exhaust but more of it (more loud and throatier) and still like a Porsche, but not too loud. I weighed it against the stock base muffler I had before it, and it was only 2 pounds lighter (perhaps some baffling removed), and no drone. I still think the GHL exhaust sounds the best for the 986, but the company doesn't exist anymore and they drone like heck.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote