Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 05:35 AM   #1

Composition of the exhaust manifold catalytic converters

Does anyone know the construction composition of the primary catalytic converters, the one integral to the exhaust manifolds, as shown?

Specifically, are they metallic or are they ceramic?

Thanks - DM

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #2

They are a ceramic honey comb which is coated or impregnated with metals such as platinum which fosters the desired chemical reaction to reduce pollutants in the exhaust stream.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

Interesting, thank you!

So the manifold cats are made of ceramic, while the secondary cats further back are metallic-core based?
Old 02-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
So the manifold cats are made of ceramic, while the secondary cats further back are metallic-core based?
No, the are both ceramic with metal coating/impregnating.

Why are you asking?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:58 AM   #5

I recently cut open a secondary cat that some guy had tried to gut, apparently using something like a crow bar and a sledge hammer.

These cat cores are made of metal, so that his efforts to break up the core simply bent it all into a metallic lump. Presumably had the core been ceramic, it is brittle enough so to break up into small chunks under such crow bar force.

My original question was out of curiosity, simply to wonder if the manifold cats were also made of the same metallic construction.

Seems to me that a ceramic core would hold up better under the higher heat exposure so close to the engine.

Thanks - DM

Old 02-05-2017, 05:50 AM   #6

Stealth cat delete pipes
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #7

Funny, I just pulled mine.
Now I understand the "restriction" thing...
Next item on the list: high flow exhaust headers!
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
I recently cut open a secondary cat that some guy had tried to gut, apparently using something like a crow bar and a sledge hammer.

These cat cores are made of metal, so that his efforts to break up the core simply bent it all into a metallic lump. Presumably had the core been ceramic, it is brittle enough so to break up into small chunks under such crow bar force.

My original question was out of curiosity, simply to wonder if the manifold cats were also made of the same metallic construction.

Seems to me that a ceramic core would hold up better under the higher heat exposure so close to the engine.

Thanks - DM
Now able to answer my own question.

Both the manifold and the secondary cats are identical in construction materials, and both are made of a non-ceramic metallic honeycomb.

So you can't bust a thru hole via brute force, a crowbar, and a sledge hammer. Like someone - not me - tried to do, as shown in the picture which I posted here earlier.

DM