Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

Garage
Top Speed Rear Track Arm

I recently purchased the Top Speed Rear Track Arms . I got them off ebay for about $170. The pair was about $10 more than a single rear track arm anywhere else. Once the old arms were broken loose, the install was very easy. We took the old arm off, adjusted them to the correct size, and re-installed.

All in all, it was a simple and straight forward swap. Took the car for a test drive afterward and so far it appears to be a good product. Previously, the car rattled a bit, front and rear, over potholes, not I'm hearing suspension squeaks from the rear and some rattles from the front.

Here are some pictures of the track arms post-install. I must say, I'm glad the price was right, because the orange of the track arms goes with the orange highlights on my car.

http://986forum.com/forums/images/dto_garage/users/75416/3235.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/images/dto_garage/users/75416/3236.jpg

alex.rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #2

Useful find. Here is the Pelican alternative for comparison:
Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche • BMW • Mercedes • Volkswagen • Audi • Saab • Volvo • MINI
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=track+arm+
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

i've been running them for three years now with no issues. good product - i wish they made more suspension bits for the car (like adjustable control arms, front track arms, etc.).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Pelican should carry them !?
Maybe not - see #6 below !

Last edited by Gelbster; 01-26-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

Garage
Quick update after driving around for a few days. It's been a mix of city and highway driving with the top up and down, brand new roads and some bad potholes.

Before the replacement there was a lot of rattling over any imperfections in the pavement and it sounded like golf balls in the trunk when I stopped.

After installing the new arms there are no golf balls in the trunk and no rattles over bumps. Makes the car a lot more appealing to drive now.

Alex
alex.rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #6

Do keep an eye on the welds on them. I sold a pair after being on my car for 3 years and the new owner said one of them had an end piece that broke off when he was installing it. Fortunately, he has a welding machine and welded both of them up and they're better than new now, although not as pretty.

The other thing you must remember about Top Speed control arms is they are quite heavy in comparison to their factory counterparts due to the fact they're not made of aluminum but steel.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 PM   #7

Does anyone know if these are still available? I can't locate them on ebay.
PCinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

So, I reached out to Top Speed and it turns out these are discontinued and no longer available.

So - question guys, are there any suitable alternatives?
Old 12-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #9

Anyone? If these aren't available, what is the next best alternative?
Old 12-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCinDC View Post
Anyone? If these aren't available, what is the next best alternative?
If you want an adjustable arm like this, elephant makes very nice ones that have anti squat/dive adjustment, but they are $$$$

Otherwise the usual suspects, TRW (although I heard they are harder to get now, it's been a few years since I got mine) or used ones from Woody.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #11

Thanks for your reply. I see the front track arms at Elephant's site, but nothing for fitment on the rear of a 986. Seems as though almost no one is making these right now.

If not using the adjustable versions, are guys just running the stock arms with higher density bushings and relying upon the toe adjustment for the rear?
Old 12-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you want an adjustable arm like this, elephant makes very nice ones that have anti squat/dive adjustment, but they are $$$$

Otherwise the usual suspects, TRW (although I heard they are harder to get now, it's been a few years since I got mine) or used ones from Woody.
rear ones are no trouble to find. They are all over the internet. I got two for $190 so not pricey either.

OP, I would just run the stock ones.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
rear ones are no trouble to find. They are all over the internet. I got two for $190 so not pricey either.

OP, I would just run the stock ones.
+1 I got the OEM TRW track arms last year, prime for about $210 IIRC. Happy with them so far...

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote