Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

URO Parts AOS

Looking for similiar experience with an unusual AOS problem. ?

I bought the URO Parts air oil separator to replace my original one about 3 months ago. It seemed to work fine for a short while, but now it isn't. The problem is NOT the usual membrane failure however. Usually with a worn AOS there is TOO much vacuum pulled on the crankcase, and you have all the usual worn AOS symptoms.

The membrane/diaphragm is supposed to modulate the vacuum, allowing a small part of the intake vacuum to pull on the crankcase so you have negative pressure.

In my case, the new one I installed is not pulling ANY vacuum on the crankcase. Zero. It is like the diaphragm is stuck closed. I checked both ventilation hoses (from the driver side head, and from the AOS to the throttle body), both are fine. But I definitely have slight positive crankcase pressure. When I open the oil cap in the trunk I can see that. And the AOS vent valve/pressure relief over on the driver side head is popping off, getting oil all over everything. That's how I figured out that I had a problem - trying to find where the oil leak was coming from.

So, I ordered the Porsche AOS and I'll install it over the holidays. While I'm in there I will try to diagnose why the URO parts AOS failed.

One more strike against the URO parts AOS...

ksboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

Now you know why we never use aftermarket AOS units; we have even has them fail right out of the box.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

URO = U Replace Often !!!
Avoid
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

Yeah it looks like I'm just adding one more data point to the evidence on this opinion
ksboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelbster View Post
uro = u replace often !!!
Avoid
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksboxster View Post
Yeah it looks like I'm just adding one more data point to the evidence on this opinion
I have a URO Control arm I installed on my Box for about 5,000 miles, when I noticed the rear track arm was contacting the URO control arm due to it's bushing slipping out. Pelican refused to exchange it because more than a year had passed since I bought it.
Had to buy a new control arm & track arm.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I have a URO Control arm I installed on my Box for about 5,000 miles, when I noticed the rear track arm was contacting the URO control arm due to it's bushing slipping out. Pelican refused to exchange it because more than a year had passed since I bought it.
Had to buy a new control arm & track arm.
Please tell us who you bought the replacement Control Arm from.
Hopefully Pelican take note and dump URO.
Even the Vertex 'remanufactured' hack part does not separate like yours did !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Please tell us who you bought the replacement Control Arm from.
Hopefully Pelican take note and dump URO.
Even the Vertex 'remanufactured' hack part does not separate like yours did !
EBS in Reno NV gave me credit towards the TRW parts. EBS said the URO part had a 2 year warranty
Old 12-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
EBS in Reno NV gave me credit towards the TRW parts. EBS said the URO part had a 2 year warranty
Bill, in the past I had very good experiences with FPC Euro with their warranty, they offer one year (no questions asked and after that they offer store credit. They offet a "lifetime warranty" on parts as long as you own your car..

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote