Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
2002 Boxster S

Power windows not working after wet electronic immobilzer

Hello everyone. I hope someone can help with this issue. Water got into my 2002 Boxster S during a heavy rain and soaked the carpet as well as the immobilizer module under the driver's seat.

At first, the car doors were emitting a rapid tapping sound and the windows would work intermittently. Then the car wouldn't start at all. After getting the water out of the car and drying the carpet, i immersed the module in 91% isopropyl alcohol and scrubbed lightly with a soft brush. When I put everything back together, the car started normally (after a quick jump) but the interior lights won't go on and the power windows don't work. I took the car out for a 20 minute spin to charge up the battery but nothing changed with respect to the windows or lights issues. The windows will go down a notch as normal when the door is opened then return to position. I checked the fuses in C3 and D1 positions and both were good but I changed them anyway to eliminate that possibility. I've read in other threads that there may be a window reset that needs to be done.

Has anyone run into this problem that can help in how to get the windows and lights working again? If i Have to change the module, can I do it at home or will the car not start with a new immobilizer module?

john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Most likely you will need to fix or replace the module.
The problem is that the body control modul (BCM), is programmed with the imobilaizer located on the ignition switch, transmitter inside your key, and with the ECU located in the trunk.
So you have few options (in order of what I whould do if I had that prablem)
1. You can find a set on eBay for 400-600 from a dismantled car, and replace the components yourself.
porsche boxster computer | eBay
2. Send the module for repair. There is a company here in Florida that can do that.
Not sure how much it cost and I do not remember their name at the moment, but I'll find out for you.
3. Buy new BCM at the dealership and have them program it to the car.

Hope it helps.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Here is the link to the company in Florida. They make a retro fit box to seal up the controller that looks pretty good. A lot of good info in the videos.

Porsche Boxster & 996 Immobilizer Waterproof Case Enclosure
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Project Addicted

May be wet a bit still? If you have a vacuum pump or can borrow one, you can place the unit in a thick zip lock bag and pump the air out. This will allow the water to boil off at room temp.

Corrosion is also your enemy. Spray all plugs with Deoxit and stop the corrosion there too.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
inveniam viam aut faciam

Yes, the alarm/immobilizer module is damaged. If you have as much function as it sounds, you probaby just have an open trace on the circuit board or damaged relay. This type of damage can generally be easily fixed. I have done about a half dozen myself. Repairs with relay replacements and circuit repair should be less than $250.

In the worst case, you can buy a good used alarm/immobilizer module and have the data transferred from the damaged module to the replacement. This cannot be done with the factory diagnostics, but rather going directly from the electronics in the module. On my car I had to do this as the corrosion was just too extensive to ensure a reliable result and I got a good deal on a used module that made it cheap enough not to bother trying to repair the original. You can also buy a new module (they are less than $400 if my memory serves me) and either have it programmed at the dealer ($$$) or do the same as a used module and have the data transferred from the original.

You DO NOT need to buy a complete used set of keys/alarm module/ECU as some recommend. That actually ends up being more complicated if you want to have those modules match the VIN of your car.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
2002 Boxster S

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I think I'm going to try the module repair route even though it's a little costly at $750 as the FL shop quotes on their site.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
2002 Boxster S

Hello Qmulus, Do you have or can you provide any details on how you repaired the module/board? So I can buy a new module and get it programed without having to change any other components? Any idea what the dealer will charge to transfer the data?

Last edited by john12312; 12-01-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Yes, the alarm/immobilizer module is damaged. If you have as much function as it sounds, you probaby just have an open trace on the circuit board or damaged relay. This type of damage can generally be easily fixed. I have done about a half dozen myself. Repairs with relay replacements and circuit repair should be less than $250.

In the worst case, you can buy a good used alarm/immobilizer module and have the data transferred from the damaged module to the replacement. This cannot be done with the factory diagnostics, but rather going directly from the electronics in the module. On my car I had to do this as the corrosion was just too extensive to ensure a reliable result and I got a good deal on a used module that made it cheap enough not to bother trying to repair the original. You can also buy a new module (they are less than $400 if my memory serves me) and either have it programmed at the dealer ($$$) or do the same as a used module and have the data transferred from the original.

You DO NOT need to buy a complete used set of keys/alarm module/ECU as some recommend. That actually ends up being more complicated if you want to have those modules match the VIN of your car.
Qmulus: Thanks for the great job on the repair work. The module looks like new and all the lights and windows are working again. Appreciate the quick turnaround.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #9

Need my immobilizer repaired as well. Windows are not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post

Any chance I can get your info you send you my immobilizer as well. Opened it up and see a little damage, I'm guessing it's an open circuit due to water
Sauces986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #10
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
FYI, you asked a question of a 4 1/2 year old thread.

I have not used them, several people have spoken well of this company. https://www.ecudoctors.com/

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wet immobilizer module , windows not working