Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #1

Opinions on 986 Header design

Hello all,

I've been researching on headers for awhile as I want to complete my exhaust (long awaited). Years ago TTP where the headers to get but since then Ebay has flooded the market with cheaper alternatives. I plan to pull the trigger on a deal I have on the table but I'd like some opinions on Topspeed-pro1-performance (formally know as delubozparts). Quite a few members have purchase from this seller. The new design look like the collector is different. Kind of odd looking. Those in the know, please give your opinions! Thanks!

Porsche Boxster 2.5L 2.7L & Boxster S 3.2L 97-04 Performance Exhaust Headers | eBay

Attached Images

djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Headers are a complete waste of money with no noticeable benefits...my opinion.
You may as well spend your money on magical horsepower pixie dust.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Last edited by particlewave; 10-26-2016 at 12:53 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #3

I would say particlewave is wrong, because there is a difference. All headers are used in the test were headers with tubes that had the same length and volume before they come together.

The stock 986 header is just something else. And it is quite heavy.

But for shure one main aspect is the overall diameter of the exhaust system. And the 986 stock exhaust system is just a joke when it comes to diameters.

So in general a complete exhaust stainless steel system with an overall diameter of 3,5" would be much better i think. Also should only take as much catalytic converter cells as you really need to reach emissions. That combined with a optimized intake and a individual ecu tune will give noticable results.

But some shiny new headers on their own - i don't know.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 10-26-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
An opinion can't be wrong, "Smallblock".

You can say whatever you'd like, but that doesn't make it true. I linked just one video.
It's been shown many times by independent testing that any gains by headers are negligible to non-existent.

Complete waste of money.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

I think particlewave's opinion is not quite 100% correct - it all depends on how good the original header design is & where you want the power delivery. If we are talking specifically Porsche M96, I'm sure the engineers put a lot of design effort into the final product, however initial fabrication / material costs, spacing & engine "drivability" all came into consideration way back in 1995.
My own experience with the Topspeed headers are mixed. They have been on the car since 2010 with no problems.

1) Running just the headers with the standard exhaust system, the sound is definitely different, especially above 4,000 rpm.
2) The torque spread has moved up the rev range about 500 rpm (probably due to the larger diameter), not a problem with my 3.2 S engine, but maybe it would with a 2.5 base. I measured each exhaust pipe - they are equal length, the original is not.
3) The fit was OK, but in hindsight I would enlarge the bolt holes for easier fitment. I also had to clean off internal weld to match the manifold gasket - a laborious job....
4) They don't tell you but you cannot fit the plastic undertray with the headers fitted.
5) Mine does not have that cheap looking crimped collector, which may negate any (?) power gain.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

The whole 986 exhaust system is a joke. Compare it the 996 and you'll see how tiny the exhaust is on our 986's. The 987 came with the same motor but bigger exhaust(along with a better air box) and it has more power. I wouldn't consider replacing just the headers a waste of money, but you probably won't feel any difference unless you do something about the rest of the system too.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

Exactly - the issue for a Boxster is diameter of the tubing and the restrictions/contortions of the flow path. 200 cell cats ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #8

Thanks guys for the input! I'm aware of just the headers are not going to make a huge difference. As of now I have on my 2002 S, an EVO intake (the first design with full 3" tube to throttle body), GHL exhaust, by-pass pipes, 4" underdrive pulley and Softronics software. Car feels and sounds fantastic but I want to complete it with headers. I also have a 997 Plenum and 74mm TB with all the hardware so it should be running real nice when I get it all hooked up.

Steve, thanks for the detailed response on the headers. I knew these header look like crap but I wanted to hear it from someone else lol.

I also appreciate you going over your experience with these headers. What stands out is the fact that they are holding up..VERY important for me!
Thanks for the heads up with the fitment. I’ve been poking around in the header area and I was thinking the cover wouldn’t fit and you confirmed that. One good thing is I have new bolts installed on my factory headers as I had a recent rebuild. So that is a good thing! I want to get this done now before these bolts start rusting!

Your description of the sound and performance is just what I’m looking for. I cannot wait!

I’ve attached a picture of the headers that I plan to install. I have a few questions. I have the Softronic software, should I put the two 02 sensor in or just disconnect them and plug the holes? Do these primaries look 1 5/8? I actually missed an opportunity for some Dansk headers because they didn’t have 02 bungs. I wasn’t sure if they were for a 2.5L. Turns out they were for an S. European version.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

One of the best "Header" mods is to fit stainless steel studs(not bolts) in the cylinder heads. Inexpensive kits on EBay.
Like this but check correct size first !!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacement-Exhaust-Manifold-Stud-Kit-Stainless-Steel-Header-10-3196-001-/361793626713?hash=item543c94a259:g:APIAAOSwMVdYEPe b&vxp=mtr
and use appropriate threadlocker in the cylinder head and a removable high-heat version for the nuts.
The exhaust flanges benefit from a s/s +Nordlock retrofit if you are in a climate with lots of salt. The triangular flanges have press-fit hardened bolts which rust and are extremely tedious to drill out when they break.

Last edited by Gelbster; 10-27-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #10

Thanks Gelbster! Awesome tip!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

I own a set of those headers which I never installed. I'll make you a deal on them.

They're made well enough and I test fit them when I put my engine back in. I had emissions testing coming up and I didn't want to fart around with O2 sensor extensions and all that, so I just put the stock headers on. The right one was also a little close to that coolant hose with the T in it. I would have had to come up with a heat shield to be happy about it.

I've since put on the secondary cat delete pipes and their muffler. All of it fit well and is welded nicely. No complaints other than being even louder than I like (and that's saying something).
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #12

Hey flaps 10. I wish I would of known earlier about your headers.. How much were you looking to let them go for? Pics??
Old 10-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #13

A related issue is the huge weight of the stock system.And dangling beyond the axle line is another problem. A Maxflo system saves 30 pounds.Ask the Track guys.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #14

Any opinions on what's the better overall design.. Dansk or Topspeed (old design)?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #15

Cast Manifolds vs. Headers

Cast = stock
Manifold 2.5"
Manifold long tube 3"

The stock 986 manifold is around funny 2".

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw8282 View Post
Any opinions on what's the better overall design.. Dansk or Topspeed (old design)?
I had an old Dansk sausage muffler and the diameter of the tubes used inside it were the same size as the 986 secondary pipes and the muffler was only 3 lbs lighter. I didn't cut it open to see how they controlled flow, but I'd imagine it was built for sound and looks more than performance.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #17

Interesting...Thanks Smallblock
Old 11-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #18

Hmm.. The Dansk look like they are a longer tube
Attached Images