Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #1

Good news, bad news

Well I got the 2002 Boxster purchased and drove it through the rain 240 miles home yesterday. When I went out to it this morning I took a peak underneath and unfortunately there was a small oil spot. It is located just slightly in front of and to the right of the driver side rear wheel. Yesterday when I got home I thought I could smell the odor of oil burning on a hot engine. When I got home from driving it a bit ago I looked underneath again while the engine was running and noticed a little puff of smoke occassionally about where the leak would be dropping to the garage floor from.

Anyone have any thoughts an where it is coming from?

The good news is I'm still supposed to have about a month of factory warranty so I was going to take it to my local Porsche dealer and have them give it a once over before that runs out.

Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #2

probably a valve cover gasket or a spark plug tube

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #3

In discussing the oil leak issue with the dealership that sold me the car, they faxed me the results of the PPI that a Porsche dealership had done on May 23 and it indicates nothing about an oil leak. The car had about 600 more miles on it from when the PPI was done to when I picked it up (I think one of the dealership’s owners was driving it for awhile). There was an oil change done to it just before I picked it up by a non-porsche dealership garage but it was a garage that specializes in German autos. What would be the effect if they overfilled with oil a little? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #4

I would suggest getting the car in the air and finding our for sure what is up. Warranty is ticking, hurry up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote