Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #1

new to forum.. and yes I do have questions

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 1999 about a month ago and you guys have already been a great help. I used the search feature and found out how to trouble things such as, finding Radio codes, work my top, manually work my wing, and even trouble shoot my radiator leak. Now onto the questions. Over all it's a fun car to drive, but seems to lack a little in the HP dept. I had my Mech. have a look at it. First thing he found was a filthy air filter and oil in 2 spark plug chambers and (2) bad O2 sensors . He went to work and fixed all problems. I was anxious to drive the car and feel all the new horses that I would gain with the fixes, Nothing!!! We then pulled the codes and came up with P1117 (air fuel mixture). I've done a search in the forum and came up with a possible problem, the MAF. Could this really cause a drain in the HP? If so, by how much? I've also experienced a cut out in acceleration from 3rd to 4th gear around 4500-5000 RPM's when I'm really pushing her. Please Help me so she can be all that she can be

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

alohaincal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I have a 99 that had a bad MAF a couple of months back. It seemed as if the car was lagging some at times,almost like a hesitation to accelerate. The 2.5L is enough to have fun but not enough to make you think "Im king of the world". Another thing,is your car a tiptronic or manual, there is almost a full second 0-60 time differences between the two.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #3

Blinkwatt,

I have the 5 speed manual model. Is the trip faster? I guess when I bought the car I had a preconception of what the car could do. At roughly 220 HP and with it's current weight, this car should move. I'll clean the MAF over the next few days and hope this does the trick.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaincal
Blinkwatt,

I have the 5 speed manual model. Is the trip faster? I guess when I bought the car I had a preconception of what the car could do. At roughly 220 HP and with it's current weight, this car should move. I'll clean the MAF over the next few days and hope this does the trick.

Thanks
The 99s have 200hp and 180lbs,I may be one or two off but you get the point. No,no the manual is much faster then the tiptronic. You can get a few more ponnies out of it for $1k but not much(chip and intake),just enough to keep up with 2.7Ls(these have 220hp+). The car may not be the quickest to launch,but once you get into third it starts to pick up.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:02 AM   #5

First off - it's a 2.5L five speed. It's not fast. Period. 0-60 is in the mid 6s range. If you're interested in more speed, I would suggest an '03S or a 911. Otherwise, just enjoy the fact you have one of the best handling street vehicles on earth....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:51 AM   #6

Yes, the 2.5 is no drag queen.

If you really have a defective MAF replace it immed. You will likely feel the difference but again, this is no torque monster.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:11 PM   #7

Maf

I spent most of the day today cleaning the MAF and fixing a broken lift arm for the convertible. Has anyone else run into problems with the arms breaking? One of mine snapped and on further investigation, I found the other one to be cracked(I wonder what this will set me back?) So I was able to get the MAF cleaned and the CE light to clear(yeah!). The celebration was short lived, within 10 min. the CF light
returned and no noticeable HP improvements with the MAF cleaning.
I 'll do a little more trouble shooting on the forum to see what else might be causing the P1117 code.

Thanks for the HP feed back. I've never driven a Boxster before so I have nothing to compare it to other than other Cars of similar Horses and weight . Don't get me wrong, I do love the pull from 2nd to 3rd and the roar of the exhaust. I do wish there was more punch.

Thanks again
Old 06-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #8

All of the problems you have had really have nothing to do with "speed". You car may run smoother now or seem a bit more linear in how the engine goes about its business...but you most likely will not feel any more "power" after replacing what you have replaced. Boxsters are not "fast" in the sense you are trying to achieve. Especially your model. They are meant to be wholly enjoyed!

PS--DO NOT fall into the "performance upgrade" hole. LOTS of money for little, if any, performance gains with these cars. While some on this board disagree and love to spend huge sums of money on small performance gains, I believe you would be better off saving that money and buying the best car you can and go from there. Good Luck!