Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Thermostat question

Hello,

i have a 2003 (2004 in the US) 986S MT.

The PET says that there is a thermostat with a separate housing available. Part number is 996 106 125 52.

The after market thermostats seems always to come as a unit with housing and insert. For example the Wahler ones.

Can somebody confirm that the OEM thermostat is 2 separate parts - thermostat housing and thermostat insert itself. And that the thermostat insert part is swappable while you keep the old housing.

Thanks & regards
Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

Yes, they are two separate parts, but here comes the rub: The thermostat is a bayonet mount type that requires a special tool to insert it. Porsche gets over $100 (US) for the tool, but you can either fabricate one out of some plastic pipe, or buy one from LN for less than $15:

Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Or just use a couple of screw drivers to push down on the thermosstat and then twist it to get it out.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

Knowing Markus, he'll make the tool himself from depleted uranium :-).
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #5

Hi,

thanks guys. I have an old Mercedes thermostat which is made the same way. Housing and insert. So i had the opportunity to test if i could change the insert without rocket science tools made from depleted uranium.

Well, first i searched something that fits over the cap of the thermostat, just to press the two flaps down that hold the insert. Found a plastic cap in the bathroom and it was pretty easy to get the insert out.

But how to get it in? The plastic cap didn't work. Too flexible, couldn't generate enough pressure to fit it in. Tested the 2 screwdriver method with two bigger flat blade ones. Nope, that didn't work. Went to the cellar to look for a metal tube that might fit – unsuccessful. Also no other tools in that big toolbox that might solve the problem.

Decided not to drive to the hardware store, because in the end a complete Wahler thermostat incl. seal is only 11 Euros more than an insert without seal. Doesn't make sense from a ecological point of view, but if i add time for fabricating the tool myself and driving and buying stuff at the hardware store it seems to be cheaper than to buy a complete unit. So i ordered the complete one.

Conclusion: you can change the insert but you need to have a special tool made from metal.

Thanks & regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

thanks guys. I have an old Mercedes thermostat which is made the same way. Housing and insert. So i had the opportunity to test if i could change the insert without rocket science tools made from depleted uranium.

Well, first i searched something that fits over the cap of the thermostat, just to press the two flaps down that hold the insert. Found a plastic cap in the bathroom and it was pretty easy to get the insert out.

But how to get it in? The plastic cap didn't work. Too flexible, couldn't generate enough pressure to fit it in. Tested the 2 screwdriver method with two bigger flat blade ones. Nope, that didn't work. Went to the cellar to look for a metal tube that might fit – unsuccessful. Also no other tools in that big toolbox that might solve the problem.

Decided not to drive to the hardware store, because in the end a complete Wahler thermostat incl. seal is only 11 Euros more than an insert without seal. Doesn't make sense from a ecological point of view, but if i add time for fabricating the tool myself and driving and buying stuff at the hardware store it seems to be cheaper than to buy a complete unit. So i ordered the complete one.

Conclusion: you can change the insert but you need to have a special tool made from metal.

Thanks & regards
Markus
You are correct that it needs to be stiff, but it can be fabricated from PVC plastic pipe or a hunk of metal pipe using a file in about 10min. Or you can purchase LN's version for $15, which is a copy of the factory tool and works perfectly.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

cardboard tool

NAPA sells a Motorad thermostat (insert) part number 462180 that comes with a cardboard tool that I have used successfully.
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #8

Will be doing WP & t'stat soon (waiting for parts).
I didn't order the t'stat removal tool because I thought I still had one from the last time
I did this job. (I actually probably do have it...I just have no idea where)

Anybody got one laying around where they could shoot me a diameter of the tool? Let's say OD.

TIA
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #9

ID 35 MM
OD 40 MM

Notches at 12 and 6 O'clock position: 15 MM wide, 10 MM deep

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-02-2022 at 11:13 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:25 PM   #10

Perfect! Thank you sir. I'll get right to work on that!

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote