Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Question Just bought a 1998 2.5L Boxster ----- Code issues - Help please

Hello all. first time poster here. be gentle!
98 Boxster 2.5L

currently, check engine light is on as well as Brake Wear!
have the following codes:

P0138 (O2 sensor)

P0410 (Primary Air pump injection)
P1411 (2ndary injection)

P1124 (Fuel Pump Relay)
P1126 (Fuel Pump Relay)

First off, how common are these issues? Worth repairing? Is it something i can go given limited mechanical experience (but willing to get my hands dirty)?

I bought the O2 sensor and it looks like by taking the wheel off, it's a 10 minute job.....i was also told that the paired codes above are related.

anyways, looking for some general guidance as to what to do and which to approach first.

1998Boxsterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:05 AM   #2

P0138 says the O2 sensor behind the cat on bank 1 is shorted.

P0410 and 0411 says that the SAI pump is not working. This requires further investigation to determine if it is the pump, wiring, fuse, relay, or the change over valve.

P1124 and 1126 says that your fuel mixture is so lean on both banks that the DME cannot compensate. Usually an intake leak or fuel delivery issue.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998Boxsterrr View Post
First off, how common are these issues?
Fairly common. Do a search and you should find several threads on each issue.

Quote:
Worth repairing?
Definitely.

Quote:
Is it something i can go given limited mechanical experience (but willing to get my hands dirty)?
Yes, but it will take patience. Some of these are not 15min fixes but they aren't rocket science either.

For example, you'll have to trouble shoot the SAI system to determine which component (pump, wiring, change over valve, etc) is causing the fault. The trouble shooting can be detailed and a bit tedious.

Quote:
anyways, looking for some general guidance as to what to do...
Buy the Bentley repair manual. This will help guide you through the repairs. Here is a used one for only $45: Porsche Boxster Service Shop Manual Bentley

Also, buy the 101 Projects book. This will walk you through many common projects. Here is one for $16: 101 Projects For Your Porsche Boxster

Quote:
... which to approach first.
I'd start with getting the car to run properly and then work on the secondary issues.

Thus, I'd start with the the O2 sensor first.

Next, move to the Fuel Pump Relay issue.

With the engine running well, then I'd address the brake light sensor. This could be a sensor issue (which is cheap and easy) or the brakes may be worn and in need of replacement. This should be fairly straightforward to inspect and diagnose.

I'd save the SAI issue for last (which is emissions related and generally doesn't affect the operation/performance of the car).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-30-2016 at 06:30 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Fairly common. Do a search and you should find several threads on each issue.
Definitely.
Yes, but it will take patience. Some of these are not 15min fixes but they aren't rocket science either.
For example, you'll have to trouble shoot the SAI system to determine which component (pump, wiring, change over valve, etc) is causing the fault. The trouble shooting can be detailed and a bit tedious.
Buy the Bentley repair manual. This will help guide you through the repairs. Here is a used one for only $45: Porsche Boxster Service Shop Manual Bentley
Also, buy the 101 Projects book. This will walk you through many common projects. Here is one for $16: 101 Projects For Your Porsche Boxster

I'd start with getting the car to run properly and then work on the secondary issues.

Thus, I'd start with the the O2 sensor first.

Next, move to the Fuel Pump Relay issue.

With the engine running well, then I'd address the brake light sensor. This could be a sensor issue (which is cheap and easy) or the brakes may be worn and in need of replacement. This should be fairly straightforward to inspect and diagnose.

I'd save the SAI issue for last (which is emissions related and generally doesn't affect the operation/performance of the car).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
P0138 says the O2 sensor behind the cat on bank 1 is shorted.

P0410 and 0411 says that the SAI pump is not working. This requires further investigation to determine if it is the pump, wiring, fuse, relay, or the change over valve.

P1124 and 1126 says that your fuel mixture is so lean on both banks that the DME cannot compensate. Usually an intake leak or fuel delivery issue.

Thanks very much guys!
ThStone, the car runs perfectly! including the engine and suspension and everything else. I bought the O2 sensor at 90$ and looking at youtube vids, it looks easy enough to replace. BUT, my goal is to get the engine light to go away, and i know that replacing just the O2 sensor isn't going to do that. So, if the other errors are going to cost a few thousand to fix and hours and hours of work, then i might just let them all be.
i'm most likely keeping the car only for 2 months, or until my crashed car is out of the shop. so i'm trying to find the most viable solution.

1998Boxsterrr is offline   Reply With Quote