Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #1

s oil cooler on a non s?

I was considering doing a 986 s oil cooler on my base 986, but my mechanic told me he can't see there being much benefit in doing it on a 2.5 car. He said it makes more sense to change the thermostat to one that makes the fans kick in earlier, to help the engine and oil stay cooler, since the oil cooler has water coolant passing through it. Any opinions? Does anyone think that a bigger oil cooler on a base model still help cool oil better?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #2

Ignore your mechanic and install the S oil cooler. Even without the low temp stat, the S oil cooler has nearly twice the surface area for shedding heat to the coolant, which will lower your oils normal operating temps, improving the oil's life expectancy. Adding the low temp stat makes it that much better. These are two of the best low cost mods you can do for the car.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

Garage
So along those lines.
I replaced WP, low temp thermo, Flushed coolant and replace with Pink.
Last weekend I finally got to drive for several hours.
Using the Torque app:
I was seeing temps 10- 20 degrees cooler (Outside temps were in low 40's)
On the Hwy (1/2 hour at 75-80 mph) I use to see rock steady 193 degrees
I was now seeing rock solid 174 degrees
The gauge was always above the 180 mark, now it was running a bit under the 180 mark
Driving stop and go, low speeds, lots of shifting, higher RPMs - mid 180s
At stops, it would creep into low 190s. As soon as I started again back to mid 180s
It will be interesting to see how the temps behave when it 90s outside
Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
So along those lines.
I replaced WP, low temp thermo, Flushed coolant and replace with Pink.
Last weekend I finally got to drive for several hours.
Using the Torque app:
I was seeing temps 10- 20 degrees cooler (Outside temps were in low 40's)
On the Hwy (1/2 hour at 75-80 mph) I use to see rock steady 193 degrees
I was now seeing rock solid 174 degrees
The gauge was always above the 180 mark, now it was running a bit under the 180 mark
Driving stop and go, low speeds, lots of shifting, higher RPMs - mid 180s
At stops, it would creep into low 190s. As soon as I started again back to mid 180s
It will be interesting to see how the temps behave when it 90s outside
And you still have original oil cooler?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Ignore your mechanic and install the S oil cooler. Even without the low temp stat, the S oil cooler has nearly twice the surface area for shedding heat to the coolant, which will lower your oils normal operating temps, improving the oil's life expectancy. Adding the low temp stat makes it that much better. These are two of the best low cost mods you can do for the car.
If I had to get the S cooler, is there a specific year that will fit my car? Mine I a 99 model. I heard that some cars had a slightly different cooler than others.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster View Post
If I had to get the S cooler, is there a specific year that will fit my car? Mine I a 99 model. I heard that some cars had a slightly different cooler than others.
Only the very earliest 2.5L cars (1997 and early 1998) had an odd ball setup that used and adaptor plate between the oil cooler and the engine, and these also lack the small upper return line running from the top of the cooler to your surge tank in the trunk. Yours should not be that way, but you can easily check on it by looking at the existing cooler.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #7

Garage
S oil cooler

I just added a 'S' oil cooler to my base 2000 model this winter per JFP's recommendation. I can't wait to reap the benefits.

I am already running the low temp stat since my last water pump swap/maintenance three years ago.
rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
And you still have original oil cooler?
Yes but I have an S car, so larger version.
During my Coolant work I did go ahead and replace the 'O' rings for the cooler.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem503 View Post
I am already running the low temp stat since my last water pump swap/maintenance three years ago.
Did you notice significant running temp drops?
I'm just having a hard time accepting my preliminary observations
Old 04-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Only the very earliest 2.5L cars (1997 and early 1998) had an odd ball setup that used and adaptor plate between the oil cooler and the engine, and these also lack the small upper return line running from the top of the cooler to your surge tank in the trunk. Yours should not be that way, but you can easily check on it by looking at the existing cooler.
And are the o rings a PITA to get hold of?
Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Did you notice significant running temp drops?
I'm just having a hard time accepting my preliminary observations
I doubt you will notice any drop in temperature gauge, the temperature will surely be cooler by changing thermostat though.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #12

Garage
'o' rings

Advance Auto Parts carried both size 'O' rings for my 2000 base oil cooler.
rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
And are the o rings a PITA to get hold of?
No, any dealer can get them for you and they are not at all expensive.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:36 AM   #14

Quote:
No, any dealer can get them for you and they are not at all expensive.
Do you know the part number for the oil cooler? I found a behr/ hella model number 8MO376726-111 and it says its for Porsche part number 99610702557/1. Is this the right one please? Will it have same o rings as on the base model? Can I use my o rings with it or would they have to be new? Reason I'm asking is that the shop that has the oil cooler doesn't stock the o rings.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Do you know the part number for the oil cooler? I found a behr/ hella model number 8MO376726-111 and it says its for Porsche part number 99610702557/1. Is this the right one please? Will it have same o rings as on the base model? Can I use my o rings with it or would they have to be new? Reason I'm asking is that the shop that has the oil cooler doesn't stock the o rings.
Latest part number I have is 996-107-025-59 (retails for around $280) for the cooler. And never reuse the four O-rings, you will end up with leaks. We also have never used aftermarket versions of this cooler, only the OEM.

The 99610702557/1 part number is a discontinued item.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-09-2016 at 04:01 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:45 AM   #16

Garage
And be careful buying a used OEM as it may have metal particles in it from an IMS failure or some other engine catastrophe where metal particles are released.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Latest part number I have is 996-107-025-59 (retails for around $280) for the cooler. And never reuse the four O-rings, you will end up with leaks. We also have never used aftermarket versions of this cooler, only the OEM.

The 99610702557/1 part number is a discontinued item.
Ok thanks, ill try and buy an OEM version then, together with new o rings
Old 04-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
And be careful buying a used OEM as it may have metal particles in it from an IMS failure or some other engine catastrophe where metal particles are released.
No, I was looking at a new one from design 911. Funnily enough they stock the original for the base 986 but they only have aftermarket for the s
Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I would have any used, unknown cooler ultrasonicly cleaned & pressure tested before installing with new O-rings.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #20

so i bought the larger S cooler, but i have a problem, it wont fit. the reason being that i had enlarged the air intake hose, and the larger hose rests on the original oil cooler. if i install the larger oil cooler, the intake hose will be lifted up and then the engine cover wont close. stupid me i didnt check this before i bought the oil cooler. now i have a brand new larger oil cooler that i cant use, unless i fit the original intake hose, which i dont really want to do since i also have the enlarged throttle body and pedro's intake plenum!