Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #1

Upgrading 2000 2.7

Does any one have experience with performance chips for 2.7 hp increase have a nice 2000 Boxster fixing a bunch of little problems and would like to tighten it up performance wise to the highest possible level.Any experience with super chargers and exhaust info would be helpful.Thanks am in Baltimore

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #2

One of the very last things I would ever suggest is adding either a turbo or blower to an M96/97 engine, they simply were not designed, or tuned for this, and it often goes very badly.

DME reflashes on normally aspirated engine's is a low return effort, typically resulting in small gains for big bucks. Unfortunately, it takes big $ to get big power out of these engines; bolt on gains tend to be small and only at the extremes of the engines operational ranges.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #3

Garage
you can spend lots of money in trying to upgrade your 2.7 engine. all your gonna get is maybe a better sound from your exhaust if you put it from the headers back and a very small hp increase. all the other improvements upgrades will give you small hp for the amount of money your gonna spend. I recommend saving your money if you want hp and changing your engine to a 3.2 0r 3.4 if your looking for hp.
flete25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Thanks would 3.4 bolt right in or a lot of changes needed.Would it require trans and suspension changes?This is first Porsche since a 911 Targa I had use of in 86 and loving it could trade up every year or make a project out of this one.Silver is pretty quick but would like to get all that is possible from him.Have a friend who is Porsche mechanic so have good help doing things but am trying to figure out what I want to do.He checked car out 68,000 miles and only problem was front right wheel bearing got that done and passed inspection fine.Been able to get it out a few times since winter hasn't been bad.Bought it New Years eve after having it for a couple of days.These chip people say they can add 60 hp immediately but am skeptical and do other things need to be changed if it does add this power or are there other side effects like too much pressure in IMS bearing.Though this problem seems overrated since my friend says in 20+ yrs he has only seen it once and I have seen that only about 1% of of 2.7 and 3.2 s have the problem figure if I replace clutch will upgrade bearing at that time.All in all at this point will always have a Porsche just like I will always have a dog.Thanks again for you input
Old 03-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

If the engine is a dual row bearing, around 1% or so failure rates would apply; but the problem is that many engines were single rows, where the failure rate is 8% or more (from Porsche's own data).

Physically, the 3.4 is a bolt in without any mechanical changes (assuming it comes from a similar year in terms of the fuel system). The DME is another issue entirely.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

60+ hp from a chip. You don't believe that? Try maybe 5 hp. Don't waste your money. Here's a hint that it's bull, no one calls it a "chip". They stopped chipping cars about 25 years ago.

For the most part it's really hard to get any extra extra horsepower out of these cars without a engine upgrade which is alot $$$$. Keep your money or spend it on maintaining the car properly so you can have it for a long time.
89 944 S2
78 911SC

Last edited by Porsche9; 03-04-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #7

I wrote this up maybe 5 years ago and not much has changed. It Isn't Fast Enough

Some $600 items for maybe 5HP each. Easiest big gains are added displacement with an engine from the same year 911.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:59 AM   #8

Thanks for the info have learned a lot,car is a lot of fun think I will check out the driving school that sounds like the way to play with it hard and have a good time maybe next go up to a newer S any of you guys are ever in Baltimore come by and say hi
Old 03-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Thanks for the info have learned a lot,car is a lot of fun think I will check out the driving school that sounds like the way to play with it hard and have a good time maybe next go up to a newer S any of you guys are ever in Baltimore come by and say hi
+1

The best and cheapest way to get more performance is to upgrade the driver

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote