Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #1

Oil under the car

Came back from a quick morning drive this morning and noticed oil stains on the garage floor where the boxster sits. Definitely oil, definitely no good

5thtonbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #2

Ouch. What year? How many miles?
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #3

Hi,

It could be any number of things, but it definitely isn't the way it should be. Where in relation to the longitudinal centerline of the Car are the stains? Amount of Oil? Have you been under the Car to determine where approx. the Oil is coming from?

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #4

2000 S, 20,670 miles

The stains are about dead center with the car, right underneath where the convertible top sits. I could try to get under the car, but thats not easy for a guy like me on this type of car

I just hate to go to the stealership to find out something was loose. I need to find a porsche shop in the DC area

When this notorious main seal goes, where should I be looking for the oil leaks? Im surprised I have not smelled any oil burning, so the leak must not be somewhere ultra-close to the engine...

Thanks in advance for the concern and help This has me more frustrated than anything, because last week a little hole formed itself in my rear-window, and now the oil. Porsche is self destructing just in time for summer
Old 04-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thtonbench
2000 S, 20,670 miles

The stains are about dead center with the car, right underneath where the convertible top sits. I could try to get under the car, but thats not easy for a guy like me on this type of car

I just hate to go to the stealership to find out something was loose. I need to find a porsche shop in the DC area

When this notorious main seal goes, where should I be looking for the oil leaks? Im surprised I have not smelled any oil burning, so the leak must not be somewhere ultra-close to the engine...

Thanks in advance for the concern and help This has me more frustrated than anything, because last week a little hole formed itself in my rear-window, and now the oil. Porsche is self destructing just in time for summer
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The RMS is a center leak, but to start your heart again, so is a leaky Oil Drain Plug. When was the last time you had the Oil changed? DIY? What I'm getting at was the Crush Washer replaced as well? If not, this could explain some seepage from the Plug or it could have been improperly tightened, same result.

Next question is this Motor Oil or Tranny Fluid/ATF? These too can leak, especially the Tip S Pan Seal. You'd notice a Rotten Egg smell if Tranny Fluid.

Unfortunately, if you're not getting under the Car, it's hard to diagnose. But, in any event, there should be no leaks and they don't go away, they always get worse with time, so it will need to be addressed at some point...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:33 AM   #6

Thanks for the response. For me, Any fluid other than condensation under the car is a sign that something needs to be addresses quickly. It may not be the approach for everyone but Im not everyone.

Im going to see about getting under the car this evening when I get home. Where are the so-called "jack points" that will actually lift the car without ripping something off of it If I can get under there I can get some more info before taking a next step.

I dont think it is tranny because it really doesnt have an odor and has the consistency of oil to the touch. It is very thin, however. I have the 6spd, but if that is whats leaking, its long past the overdue reddish brown indications, and is in serious need for a change. Color is oil-black. I wish there was a better way to test. The dealership did the last oil change, so who knows. I think maybe I will do it myself this time, that way I know its done and done right. I'll let ya know what I find.

Last edited by 5thtonbench; 05-01-2006 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:45 AM   #7

Smile

I suggest you bite the bullet and get the car into a skilled Porsche mechanic.

The car really needs to be on a lift with adequate lighting to find the leak in most cases.

Go for it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote