Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #1

PSM and ABS failure after wheel bearing replacement..?

After replacing the rear wheel bearings I got on the dash a PSM and immediately after an ABS failure message, followed by a lightening sign (..!) saying to take the car for service..

While replacing the bearings I removed the sensors from the wheel bearing carrier but never disconnected them from their harness and after putting everything back together I slide them into their sockets and put the small bolt that keeps them in place.

When I got back home I connected the Durametric and at the Stability Module I saw the first two codes 4216 Rear left wheel speed sensor and 4211 for the right side.

I cleared the codes and kept moving down on the other systems and found these:
C127 "Communication front control unit (comfort)" This one seems unrelated
C202 (Cluster Module) "Fault PSM control unit (display)"
C152 (Airbag module) "Communication PSM control unit (drive)
8004 (Porsche Access system) "Terminal 50 and C127 (same as above)

NOTE: I cleared all the codes and went for a drive but the PSM and ABS messages on the dash appeared again right away (but without the lightening sign)…

Is there a possibility that I disrupted a main harness connector around the rear suspension that could had all these codes showing up..??

Completely puzzled, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by Gilles; 09-19-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 AM   #2

Garage
I would inspect both sensors, make sure that the exciter is visible in the hole and that everything is lined up properly. Are your stake nuts tightened to spec (250lbft)?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
After replacing the rear wheel bearings I got on the dash a PSM and immediately after an ABS failure message, followed by a lightening sign (..!) saying to take the car for service..

While replacing the bearings I removed the sensors from the wheel bearing carrier but never disconnected them from their harness and after putting everything back together I slide them into their sockets and put the small bolt that keeps them in place.

When I got back home I connected the Durametric and at the Stability Module I saw the first two codes 4216 Rear left wheel speed sensor and 4211 for the right side.

I cleared the codes and kept moving down on the other systems and found these:
C127 "Communication front control unit (comfort)" This one seems unrelated
C202 (Cluster Module) "Fault PSM control unit (display)"
C152 (Airbag module) "Communication PSM control unit (drive)
8004 (Porsche Access system) "Terminal 50 and C127 (same as above)

NOTE: I cleared all the codes and went for a drive but the PSM and ABS messages on the dash appeared again right away (but without the lightening sign)…

Is there a possibility that I disrupted a main harness connector around the rear suspension that could had all these codes showing up..??

Completely puzzled, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
What year is the car, and where did you source the replacement bearings from?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
What year is the car, and where did you source the replacement bearings from?
Hello JFP, the car It's an '07 Cayman S and bought the bearings from Pelican.

After reading your post ran to the garage where I kept one of the OEM bearing races that I removed and it's identical to the ones for the front wheels (also from Pelican) that I have not installed yet.

Note: After damaging one of the new ones on the rear (famous wrong moves..) I installed one that I found at the local NAPA (which I order by year & model) and it is the same bearing as the ones I got from Pelican (FAG P/N 805394C)

JFP, do you know if both of the rear speed sensors are connected into the same harness that somehow had a connector that got disturbed? Because once I installed the drive shafts but before installing the support braces and triangle I cleaned the passenger side suspension area because had a lot of nasty grim due to a previous AOS failure.
and on the base of the frame (where the suspension components and the braces attach) there was a fairly large connector that I covered with a plastic bag before spraying the surrounding area with engine degreaser, I was careful but if this is the only connector that I got close to during the bearing replacement…

I hope that I don't have to take the car to the dealer :-(

Thank you in advance for your comments!

Last edited by Gilles; 09-20-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
I would inspect both sensors, make sure that the exciter is visible in the hole and that everything is lined up properly. Are your stake nuts tightened to spec (250lbft)?
Landrovered, the sensors are attached to the carrier and can be only installed in one position because the shape of their base is machined into the carrier, I will remove them again to clean them and ensure that their connectors are tight.

Also the axle nut was torqued to about 350 ft/lb +/- using a long 3/4" breaker bar...
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Hello JFP, the car It's an '07 Cayman S and bought the bearings from Pelican.

After reading your post ran to the garage where I kept one of the OEM bearing races that I removed and it's identical to the ones for the front wheels (also from Pelican) that I have not installed yet.

Note: After damaging one of the new ones on the rear (famous wrong moves..) I installed one that I found at the local NAPA (which I order by year & model) and it is the same bearing as the ones I got from Pelican (FAG P/N 805394C)

JFP, do you know if both of the rear speed sensors are connected into the same harness that somehow had a connector that got disturbed? Because once I installed the drive shafts but before installing the support braces and triangle I cleaned the passenger side suspension area because had a lot of nasty grim due to a previous AOS failure.
and on the base of the frame (where the suspension components and the braces attach) there was a fairly large connector that I covered with a plastic bag before spraying the surrounding area with engine degreaser, I was careful but if this is the only connector that I got close to during the bearing replacement…

I hope that I don't have to take the car to the dealer :-(

Thank you in advance for your comments!
Reason I asked about the year and source is that 2005 and later bearings are not symmetrical (the can only be installed in one direction due to their use of internal speed sensor shutter wheels), and if they are installed wrong, you will get the exact codes you are seeing.

ATE makes a cheap tool used to test which side the shutter is on before installing the bearings:

Old 09-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Reason I asked about the year and source is that 2005 and later bearings are not symmetrical (the can only be installed in one direction due to their use of internal speed sensor shutter wheels), and if they are installed wrong, you will get the exact codes you are seeing.

ATE makes a cheap tool used to test which side the shutter is on before installing the bearings:
JFP, Thank you!

It makes sense, I already ordered the ATE tool from Pelican, hopefully the FAG bearings I bought from Pelican are the right ones as I still have the two front ones (on their boxes)

However, the rear will get destroyed upon removal and if Pelican shipped the wrong bearings hopefully they will give me credit towards the right bearings.. we'll see.

As soon as I receive the ATE tool I will check the two new ones to determine if they are the right ones…

Now I am running against the clock as I am planning to drive to Laguna Seca (Rennsport Reunion) on Thursday night and my wife just told me "don't worry, we can always take my Volvo (V70)"
:ah:

Thanks again JFP, as I would be completely lost without your valuable comments!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:

Yep. I made this mistake replacing a front wheel bearing on my Honda Ridgeline. I'll never make that mistake again. The shield on one side of the bearing is magnetized and the other side is not. If you don't know any better its a 50/50 shot of getting it right the first time.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
JFP, Thank you!

It makes sense, I already ordered the ATE tool from Pelican, hopefully the FAG bearings I bought from Pelican are the right ones as I still have the two front ones (on their boxes)

However, the rear will get destroyed upon removal and if Pelican shipped the wrong bearings hopefully they will give me credit towards the right bearings.. we'll see.

As soon as I receive the ATE tool I will check the two new ones to determine if they are the right ones…

Now I am running against the clock as I am planning to drive to Laguna Seca (Rennsport Reunion) on Thursday night and my wife just told me "don't worry, we can always take my Volvo (V70)"
:ah:

Thanks again JFP, as I would be completely lost without your valuable comments!
If I remember correctly, placing a non magnetized screw driver tip on one side and then the other, you will notice one shielded side of the bearing is magnetized and this is the side of the bearing that has to go towards the speed sensor.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
If I remember correctly, placing a non magnetized screw driver tip on one side and then the other, you will notice one shielded side of the bearing is magnetized and this is the side of the bearing that has to go towards the speed sensor.
Hello jdmodelt, you are right!

The "urgent package" that I ordered from Pelican on Sunday that was supposed to arrive Tuesday night (so far), has not arrived yet... and yes, I called them Monday early am, and also on Tuesday...

However, last night with the door on the fingers (I am driving tonight to Laguna Seca with my wife) I decided to check the bearings using a thin metal ruler and one side of the bearing (the one with black color seal) was magnetic and the one with the red color seal was not... after a burning the midnight oil (literally, since went to bed at 1:30am) cleared the failure messages again with the Durametric an this morning my car was again running fine!.

Thanks for JFP for mentioning the reason why my ABS/PSM had failed, and also to you for letting me know about checking the magnetic side with a metal strip!

Now I am ready to (safely) go and enjoy Rennsport on my CS instead of my wife's V70... LOL

This place rocks!

Now, all I need is a chiropractor...