Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #1

3.4L Engine Conversion

I was replying to a question regarding information on the 3.4L conversion when the forum magically reset to an earlier time.

A good thread on an engine conversion can be found here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4798&hl=

The quote I got last year for the conversion on a 98 Boxster goes as such:

"Price is usually about $6K for a decent motor, $1500 for reprogramming, $2000-2975 in exhaust and $1500 for installation and conversion parts."

Sadly, I have heard that a 97 Boxster requires a new DMU. For some reason, it can't be programmed for the conversion.

P.S. I was re-reading the renntech thread. My favorite part is when somebody brings up the idea a supercharger with the 3.4L conversion. More power, more power!

Last edited by 98Boxster98; 03-21-2006 at 12:38 PM.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #2

I'd take a 3.8L swap over a S/C 3.4L any day of the week. Swapping in a 3.4L and then supercharging it is just a more expensive and less reliable way to go just as fast.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #3

How feasible is swapping the 3.8 into the Box? I have a 2000 S with only 27k miles but am considering doing a swap to a 3.4. If the 3.8 would fit with little modification then that is the way to go. Any comments?
keepupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
bmussatti

RUF in Texas does the 3.8 swap for [are you sitting down]...$36,900!!

www.rufautocentre.com

It takes about 2-3 weeks for the 987. I don't know the price for the 986.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepupp
How feasible is swapping the 3.8 into the Box? I have a 2000 S with only 27k miles but am considering doing a swap to a 3.4. If the 3.8 would fit with little modification then that is the way to go. Any comments?
I guess almost anything carwise is feasible if you throw enough money at it. As bmussatti pointed out, the RUF site is a good place to check out. Here's how RUF divides out their conversions:

http://www.rufautocentre.com/conversions/Boxster.asp

One thing I notice is all of the conversions mentioned by RUF is for e-gas. MNBoxster has pointed out that it's no small task to go non e-gas to e-gas. So for pre-2000 Boxsters, it makes "sense" to go with a cable throttle body 3.4L.

I spoken with RUF in the past and they are quite helpful. They could probably point out why they put the 3.4, 3.6 and 3.8 in the model year Boxster that they do. You could search this site also. I know that engine conversions have been discussed.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #6

I was involved in a project that entailed a BoxsterS with a 997S 3.8L engine. The main problem on the market today is figuring out how to control the VarioCam PLUS which came on the 3.8S. After long hours, I was able to tune the car and control the VarioCam..
A Boxster with a 3.8L is awesome.. I'm a 911 guy, however after driving the 3.8, I'm looking for a Boxster to convert myself.

The conversion itself is VERY simple, you will be surprised! The electronics, well they are simple now
FastRide4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #7

If it were me, I would go with a SC Boxster S.

Seems simpler and cheaper, no?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #8

Cheaper yes, simpler maybe not. I have had many supercharged vehicles including a C5 vette and 2 350Z's. Tuning is key with a blown application and this is where things can get crazy on a high compression motor as I found out TWICE on EACH 350Z...2 blown head gaskets. Just my thoughts...and btw, the cars were tuned by professionals and only running 6lbs of boost.
keepupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #9

FVD is now doing 3.8L swaps for $24K total including labor. They are also doing it for all model years, despite the differences in electronics/wiring in pre-'02 cars. I wonder if post-'01 cars get a little discount.

FVD-USA

These 3.8L swaps seem to be in the back of everyone's mind, and I'm dying to see a forum member go through with it and do a good write-up for everyone.
ljd-924se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:19 AM   #10

Sheesh guys if you want more power take the 20-30k add it to your 30k boxster S and buy a 996 turbo.

or keep your boxster and buy a used z06 haha 2 cars then.
l8braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:15 AM   #11

Wink

"keep your boxster and buy a used z06 haha 2 cars then."

Not a bad idea!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:42 AM   #12

Here is where I'm slightly confused. Egas is drive by wire as it's commonly called. Basically a motor that controlls the throttle vs. a cable like the 97-99 cars have.

I swap 1.8T motors into older VW's often and they have drive by wire throttle bodies. The older VW's run a regular throttle cable. So we pull off the drive by wire throttle body and put the original throttle body that was on the old motor on to the new motor and hook the wire back up with a custom mounting bracket to hold the cable. Big deal. Hell I used an Integra GSR throttle body on a 1.8T motor into a Rabbit to make it work (and it does quite well, low 12's in the 1/4) with a small adaptor plate.

Why would we convert the car to drive by wire instead of just swapping out the throttle body to a normal style that will hook upto the cable we already have? Will the 2.5 and 2.7 TB not fit on a 3.4L motor? Why not just machine an adaptor plate then that will make it fit? An hour on a mill can whip that up sort of like hub adaptors to use wheels that have a different bolt pattern on your car (say 5x100 to 5x112 conversion) type of thing?
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Cheaper yes, simpler maybe not. I have had many supercharged vehicles including a C5 vette and 2 350Z's. Tuning is key with a blown application and this is where things can get crazy on a high compression motor as I found out TWICE on EACH 350Z...2 blown head gaskets. Just my thoughts...and btw, the cars were tuned by professionals and only running 6lbs of boost.
OOOH you are right there. A high compression engine with aftermarket FI needs to be rebuilt - at least with lower compression piston and a different cam, then the best seals you can find - OEM won't cut it unless it was spec'd out for FI.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #14

Where can you get a decent 996 turbo for $50-$60k???
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #15

$63,900

$58,995

There are tons of them less than 70k on autotrader right now....... these are just two of them. I like the silver one!
l8braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Tuning is key with a blown application and this is where things can get crazy on a high compression motor as I found out TWICE on EACH 350Z...2 blown head gaskets. Just my thoughts...and btw, the cars were tuned by professionals and only running 6lbs of boost.
Sorry dude, gotta call BS on you here. 6psi will not pop the HG on a VQ35 no way. The tuning is negligable on the motor espically with a superchager that makes less power on the top end than a turbo does by far. CFM of even a centrifugal charger will be way less than a full frame T04 by far.

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/ts_applications.htm

Turbonetics kit runs a full frame T40S which is a fairly large turbo and runs 8psi of boost. They lay 385hp all day without failure. The VQ35 has entured 15psi on pump gas on quite a few cars making almost 450whp and not suffered from HG failure.

I would love to know what kit you were running and see some pics of the install. Also what professionals tuned the setup and what were they using for tuning? Were you running full standalone or emanage or what?

I do what your talking about for a living and 6psi on a VQ35 espically from a supercharger wouldn't blow up the motor, they simply just don't make enough power.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0307tur_350z/

This car was in turbo mag a while back. Runs twin 18G mitsu turbo's. At 5.6 psi it layed 334whp and thats a bolt on greddy kit with a pre-programmed emanage that is not tuned to once specific car, its a generic bolt on kit. Those kits run all day long with no problems.

6psi from a charger poped the HG? Unelss you were not adding fuel and had some serious detonation issues it's not gonna happen.

Last edited by 986Jim; 03-23-2006 at 11:47 AM.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Here is where I'm slightly confused. Egas is drive by wire as it's commonly called. Basically a motor that controlls the throttle vs. a cable like the 97-99 cars have.

I swap 1.8T motors into older VW's often and they have drive by wire throttle bodies. The older VW's run a regular throttle cable. So we pull off the drive by wire throttle body and put the original throttle body that was on the old motor on to the new motor and hook the wire back up with a custom mounting bracket to hold the cable. Big deal. Hell I used an Integra GSR throttle body on a 1.8T motor into a Rabbit to make it work (and it does quite well, low 12's in the 1/4) with a small adaptor plate.

Why would we convert the car to drive by wire instead of just swapping out the throttle body to a normal style that will hook upto the cable we already have? Will the 2.5 and 2.7 TB not fit on a 3.4L motor? Why not just machine an adaptor plate then that will make it fit? An hour on a mill can whip that up sort of like hub adaptors to use wheels that have a different bolt pattern on your car (say 5x100 to 5x112 conversion) type of thing?
Apparently, the work lies in getting the wiring and DME (DMU) working right with the 3.6L and pre-2002 Boxsters.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6162&hl=
Old 03-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8braker
$63,900

$58,995

There are tons of them less than 70k on autotrader right now....... these are just two of them. I like the silver one!
That's more in the $60k-$70k range still but they have come down quite a bit. I may have to save up for when you can get one for $40k-$50k with decent mileage... I can dream.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8braker
Sheesh guys if you want more power take the 20-30k add it to your 30k boxster S and buy a 996 turbo.

or keep your boxster and buy a used z06 haha 2 cars then.

It's called the 'sleeper effect".... and mid-engine handling.

Good call on FVD whoever mentioned them. They seem to be alot more reasonable than RUF and at the same level as far as professionalism and expertise.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #20

Everyone in the forum seems to be on HP race. Where on Earth are we going to unleash the full potential of the car, witout losing your license car etc?
In NY don't even bother because you are going to get nailed eventually. Boxster handles like no other car in the market and is super quick. Top speed over 160 miles and hour. Only the newer 911 can top that and again not by much. The 986-987 will outhandle everything thats out there. I my assesment spending over 20K for an engine conversion is rediculous and insane. I have a 2003 S. Its fast, looks great and handles superbly what else do we need? Yes I know more power!