Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #1

Bearing replacement question

This is as far as I got with the disassembly of the right rear as part of the bearing replacement. Is that cable (yellow arrow) the speedometer cable (MY 1997) - I thought it came off the transmission? I can find no bolt securing it to the carrier, and pulling on it seems to separate it from the sleeve, but does not come apart.

I've searched, but found no reference to this cable. My search-fu may be off, may not be asking the question in the right way. Any advice on how to disassemble from here?

ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #2

That looks like your handbrake cable - if it is you have another one on the opposite brake caliper.

To loosen the cable, you have to get into the centre consol between the seats & just behind the handbrake lever there is the cable adjuster.

If you need it to come apart and you have the Bentley manual its under "brakes mechanical" IIRC or try this.....

http://www.986faq.com/7-0/handbrake.asp

or this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment.htm

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 08-08-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

Thanks Steve, now that you say that I feel a very big "duh" coming on.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

Not really - easy mistake...
If you use the search function at the top of page (handbrake / e-brake or whatever) there are quite few people who fell into the same trap and had difficulty .....
Old 08-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #5

I'm happy to see you didn't use a hammer on the upright to remove it from the ball joint
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

I did my rear bearings in the car to not have to mess with those.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

I had the same difficulty. I also did not realize that once I loosened the brake cable and disconnected the pin that the metal part in the hub pulled out. Makes for a longer than necessary job.
rocartfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Well, I did get the rear bearing replacement completed tonight. Not too shabby for my first foray into Boxster maintenance. There were a few moments of "wow, those German engineers are pretty sharp," and a few of "did someone actually think this was ideal?"

Unfortunately it didn't heal the symptom, so the CV joint is up next.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #9

What was the original issue?? and I'll be in town Thursday during the day for the race this weekend (if you want/need any help) I carry a LOT of spares and tools with us.

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote