Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Carprog V5.94

Anyone tried this , it says it can clear and read codes on Porsche ?

It is certainly cheap enough

Carprog Full V5.94 Carprog Full Newest Version

Seems like its too good to be true

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Seems like its too good to be true
Which usually implies what?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #3

Oh I know, believe me at my age it is a well known fact.....I had just never seen this product before
Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #4

These things makes skeptics just because most of us just don't understand them. How they work, comm, or interfaced etc etc. It's harsh to come to a conclusion that the item is crap just because you've never tested, tried or even understood how one works :/

Porsche DME encoding and comm protocols aren't from another world lol. They use very common protocols same as all the other auto-makers. Tools like programmers, yes they work. All of them does and that on the most advanced Porsche ECUs/DMEs equally - being the norm at every reputable tunner's shop. You simply need to interface those comm devices with your favorite ECU flashing software ($100~$5,000 widely available softwares). Where is the too good to be true? Please let me know if there are any other ways to logically interface modern cars

Factory Porsche Motorsports' ECU chip utilities (software) are all over the place last time I've checked. Porsche utilizes mostly k-line and CAN comm.

Just saying this because.... if you want to reset your airbag, cutoff a set of O2, tweak your maf, boost/adv your turbos, air/ fuel remapping. etc etc etc. You can just buy yourself a cheap Alientech K-tag or similar programmer. Download "the entire" ECU file into your software, mod it to crazyness level, re-upload into your car and off you go.

You simply keep the original car file safe into a backup folder somewhere. In case "crap" happen. But nothing will "explode" like some may imagine

(teenager stuff mate)

So... yes, most of these little eboxes works. Given you got skills searching the internet RE how they work
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

Well I am looking for real hands on experience, the adapters alone seem worth the price. So with this I can monitor and edit codes/functions on my Boxster BMW and Audi ??

All for less than 100 bucks...you must admit it seems like too good of a deal. Im used to using INPA EBDIAS, Carsoft...ect on my old XP laptop.....so anyone really used this system ??
Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

Talk to your seller you found already. Believe me, they have all of the software bits and hardware you'll ever dream or could have imagine (factory stuff incl.). Their English is medium, but good enough for him to understand you and to cut a deal.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Which usually implies what?
Haha! I almost posted yesterday, "Uh-oh, here comes jfp!".

In this day and age, it doesn't necessarily imply a darn thing, jfp. I find deals that are "too good to be true" with regularity. As long as you are knowledgeable, not gullible and do your research, those deals are everywhere thanks to the competition created by the expansion of the global market in the last 2 decades (thanks interwebs).

All of that aside, programming is far from rocket science and I doubt that Porsche ECUs are made using fairy magic and pixie dust.
That said, I would never recommend someone purchase something that may cause them problems, but I would have no problem purchasing and trying it myself.

Would I recommend that you try it out? Heck no!
Would I try it out myself if I were interested? Heck yes!

Last edited by particlewave; 06-12-2014 at 08:43 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #8

There are code and then there are codes.

Go look at the Durametric site and see how their tool has progressed from version to version slowly but surely covering more and more of the hardware on a modern Porsche. I can buy code readers for $50 that will clear codes regarding emissions, those are public codes. It take years of investment to figure out where the proprietary codes are that Porsche doesn't document (security, transmission, etc).

So figure out what you want it to do and find out if it is guaranteed to do it.

Just because Porsche uses standard parts doesn't mean that all their features are accessible beyond what the auto-makers have been forced to reveal.

(BTW, I don't see the name Porsche in that ad anywhere.)

Last edited by mikefocke; 06-13-2014 at 03:06 PM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #9

Porsche

I emailed them and they said Porsche was included, however that is a vague statement....Porsche what...it could be just CEL codes....who knows. The discussion we are having is just want I was looking for. My BMW is pretty easy....tons of software and cables (I actually built my RS 232 one)available for it
Old 06-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #10
inveniam viam aut faciam

Yes, it is too good to be true. The only function that CarProg can do that is useful on Porsches is reading instrument cluster data via the diagnostic line. Even that can only be done with nothing else on the diagnostic line, which means out of the car. At that point you might as well just use a device programmer to do the same thing. It cannot read codes from any of the modules. So no, you cannot even read DTCs or turn off your CEL with it. I know this from first hand experience with a full, legitimate CarProg system.

Also remember that this $55 device is a clone with far out of date software and no support. The manufacturer of the actual tool will sell a license to "legalize" it for 400-1150 Euro, to actually make it useful and get updates, but I doubt they would support the clone hardware.

Bottom line, if you don't want to waste your money, put that $55 toward a Durametric package...

Last edited by Qmulus; 06-13-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Yes, it is too good to be true.
Ta-dah..................!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #12

Instruction please

Looking for a little tutorial on clearing error code with carprog V7.28, any ideas
Dave1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #13
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1987 View Post
Looking for a little tutorial on clearing error code with carprog V7.28, any ideas
Tutorial? That software has specific uses meant for people that know what they are doing, or are willing to figure it out and have the ability to fix things if it messes up. Yes, you can mess things up if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Like I said above, that tool doesn't clear codes on Porsches or doing much anything useful for Porsches for that matter. In fact, it really isn't a tool I would use for clearing fault codes in any car. That is not what it is for. It is good for a few functions, but even that is limited.

You will also find that even the full, legitimate version makes anti-malware software scream that it has password spyware on it. Hmmm.

Using ANY software on a car can have serious consequences, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Last week a shop called me with a car where a customer tried to "correct" his odometer reading with some software he found. It ended setting the mileage to 999999 and locking up the dash so that nothing could communicate with it. Oops.

My recommendation? If you are looking for useful software for a Porsche, CarProg isn't it. If you are looking for support for that tool, this site isn't the place.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish? I happen to have a little experience with vehicle diagnostic tools having owned a company that developed, manufactured and sold diagnostic tools for VAG group vehicles.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #14

Once you have read the code, the idea is to correct what is causing the code. Many emissions codes can be read and cleared by a OBD2 reader. Some codes will clear themselves after a certain number of good cycles after the cause has been found and fixed. And certain codes are specific to Porsche and Porsche attempts to hide them.

The Durametric folks have done research and found out most of the Porsche specific codes, invested over many years in continuing improvements to their product and support their product. Best diagnostic for a Porsche outside of the factory $tuff.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #15

Seems to be a airbag reset tool:

S5.33 - Porsche Airbag Reset Tool
guesswecan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #16

Its been sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Tutorial? That software has specific uses meant for people that know what they are doing, or are willing to figure it out and have the ability to fix things if it messes up. Yes, you can mess things up if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Like I said above, that tool doesn't clear codes on Porsches or doing much anything useful for Porsches for that matter. In fact, it really isn't a tool I would use for clearing fault codes in any car. That is not what it is for. It is good for a few functions, but even that is limited.

You will also find that even the full, legitimate version makes anti-malware software scream that it has password spyware on it. Hmmm.

Using ANY software on a car can have serious consequences, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Last week a shop called me with a car where a customer tried to "correct" his odometer reading with some software he found. It ended setting the mileage to 999999 and locking up the dash so that nothing could communicate with it. Oops.

My recommendation? If you are looking for useful software for a Porsche, CarProg isn't it. If you are looking for support for that tool, this site isn't the place.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish? I happen to have a little experience with vehicle diagnostic tools having owned a company that developed, manufactured and sold diagnostic tools for VAG group vehicles.
You're right. Carprog can not reset airbag error coeds for Porsche. But it still work good on others. I gave it up and got a piwis cable for replacement.
Dave1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #17

piwis software

I tried an aftermarket cable and software and found it to be money thrown away, I purchased a Durametric and am happy
Old 12-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #18

I had a similar experience to Pdwight - I bought a cheap clone cable before I knew any better and it never worked. The seller included a link to a very old (version 3.5 I think) copy of the Durametric software which only ran on Windows XP and which never recognized the clone cable.

I bought a Durametric Enthusiast level cable directly from Durametric (latest version) and it has worked flawlessly from Day 1. It allowed me to clear my airbag, a/c, and instrument cluster codes (caused by a dead battery). It also allowed me to diagnose variocam issues. It was money well spent and I would recommend it to anyone who owns a Porsche.