Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #1

Check your Oil Filter and MAF readings

Just got my Boxster running after 2 years languishing on the drive following an MOT failure. We did around 100 miles once fixed before changing the oil but when we got the oil filter out it looked crushed - see photos attached. It looks like it didn't have an internal cage or its been washed through the engine, but I didn't find any bits in the drained out oil so hopefully no damage caused.
Maybe it absorbed water whilst being laid-up and then collapsed when the pressure got up. The only symptom was that the oil light took a couple of seconds to go out when starting up from cold (fine when warm). I did a few WOT runs upto 6k rpm testing the MAF sensor using an ODBII reader before and after cleaning so this may have put a bit more pressure on it.
I think next time we will change the oil and filter before putting back on the road....

Just for info MAF readings for a 2.5 with 157k miles on once cleaned were 3.5 g/s at tickover, 2000rpm - 30g/s, 3000rpm - 45g/s, 4000rpm - 55g/s, 5000rpm - 75g/s, 6000rpm - 90g/s.

Straight after cleaning I saw nearly 100g/s at just over 5000
Before cleaning the most I ever saw was 60g/s

Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #2

This looks to me like the filter wasn't seated correctly when installed and got squished when re-installing the housing
Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Just got my Boxster running after 2 years languishing on the drive following an MOT failure. We did around 100 miles once fixed before changing the oil but when we got the oil filter out it looked crushed - see photos attached. It looks like it didn't have an internal cage or its been washed through the engine, but I didn't find any bits in the drained out oil so hopefully no damage caused.
Maybe it absorbed water whilst being laid-up and then collapsed when the pressure got up. The only symptom was that the oil light took a couple of seconds to go out when starting up from cold (fine when warm). I did a few WOT runs upto 6k rpm testing the MAF sensor using an ODBII reader before and after cleaning so this may have put a bit more pressure on it.
I think next time we will change the oil and filter before putting back on the road....

Just for info MAF readings for a 2.5 with 157k miles on once cleaned were 3.5 g/s at tickover, 2000rpm - 30g/s, 3000rpm - 45g/s, 4000rpm - 55g/s, 5000rpm - 75g/s, 6000rpm - 90g/s.

Straight after cleaning I saw nearly 100g/s at just over 5000
Before cleaning the most I ever saw was 60g/s

Or, more likely, it was the wrong filter.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #4

Garage
The filter may have bypassed as well - see how the media is lifted off the end cap in the side view photo. I'd replace the oil and filter, and then change the oil again fairly soon.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #5

Thanks everyone.....
I will check the oil and filter in another 100 miles to see if any damage. I didn't put the original one in so not sure where it came from but it does seem to have been ruined. I noticed the split in the paper so it can't have been filtering very well at all. The good thing is we didn't see any metallic silvering or grayness in the oil so probably the damage is limited.

Just worked out the MAF sensor is bad as well. Even though we have cleaned it we are still getting long term fuel trims of 32% both banks. The car runs well below 5000rpm on partial throttle but full throttle is a bit duff. I will be hunting a replacement if it gets really annoying.

Thanks again !!

Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote