Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Code reader and paranoia.....

I have had my 2001 Boxster base for three years and it has a total of 42k miles.
It is running fine and I am wondering if the codes should be read. Of course I am concerned about the cam deviations being in tolerance and I believe that this has a bearing on the condition of the IMS? I think that I read this in another thread. Is that correct?

Second question. What does a typical indy shop charge to read the codes?
Does the code reader that I might buy pay for itself in the short term?
Thanks, Guy.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
I have had my 2001 Boxster base for three years and it has a total of 42k miles.
It is running fine and I am wondering if the codes should be read. Of course I am concerned about the cam deviations being in tolerance and I believe that this has a bearing on the condition of the IMS? I think that I read this in another thread. Is that correct?

Second question. What does a typical indy shop charge to read the codes?
Does the code reader that I might buy pay for itself in the short term?
Thanks, Guy.
If you are interested in reading the cam deviation values, which can show problems in the cam drive, including the IMS, you need a Porsche specific tool, which for most means the Durametric system.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

You need a Durametric or Chinese "PIWIS" for $30

They give you all those Porsche codes and readings, and have the drive links that can turn components off/on for testing.

It will also graph selectable parameters for live readings with the engine running and create logs so you can compare old vs new values.

Its an invaluable tool and can help you spot trends so you can see if things need some preemptive repairs.

The only shortfall with these tools is that they don't come with a good diagnostic interpretive book.
You will have to buy that seperate or go online to find out in detail how to use the tool to track down specific issues.

The error codes alone only give you a hint as to what is going on and the trick is to be able to evaluate all the hints to determine a true cause.

Its a great tool for those that like doing their own car care.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
You need a Durametric or Chinese "PIWIS" for $30
Don't buy one of these knock off systems, they are usually a clone of a no longer supported Durametric system, and some of them have even caused DME problems for users.

Durametric is the only aftermarket company that is supporting the Porsche DIY market with a quality diagnostic tool; return the favor. You can always resell the system later and recoup most of your expense, plus you can get free updates whenever they become available.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I wish that there was an equivalent of the Ross-Tech VCDS (for VW/Audi, aka VAG-Com) for Porsche. That tool is awesome, and doesn't limit how many cars it can be used on - plus there's more functionality and ability to do a wide variety of coding changes. Alas.

I also have a genuine Durametric, though, and it's already paid for itself on my Boxster and my parents' Porsches.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote