Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

2004 550 SE anniversary tune - PWIS

It is this tune loaded on all PIWIS or PTS2 testers and accessible for use? How can this be verified ahead of connecting to a DME

Can it be pushed onto a 2000 S (7.2 DME I believe) for accommodating a 987 MAF housing and work?

The issues that I can see are Vario cam plus cam signals vs. regular Vario cam for the older cars (prior to 2003). Are the actual cam signals the same regardless of the variable vane actuator set up?

The 2003+ cars also have a 7.8 DME....

It does not sound good but I thought I would ask rather than making a modification to the MAF

Old 03-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
It is this tune loaded on all PIWIS or PTS2 testers and accessible for use? How can this be verified ahead of connecting to a DME

Can it be pushed onto a 2000 S (7.2 DME I believe) for accommodating a 987 MAF housing and work?

The issues that I can see are Vario cam plus cam signals vs. regular Vario cam for the older cars (prior to 2003). Are the actual cam signals the same regardless of the variable vane actuator set up?

The 2003+ cars also have a 7.8 DME....

It does not sound good but I thought I would ask rather than making a modification to the MAF
It would be on the PIWIS only, and would not work on earlier versions of the DME than the one it is intended for.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

It's on the PST-II as well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It would be on the PIWIS only, and would not work on earlier versions of the DME than the one it is intended for.
... but can only be uploaded onto a similar DME (same version).
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

Thank you gentlemen....
Old 03-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Are there no good custom software tuners who can download tweak then reload? I did that on my last 986 and will likely do the same again with my 550.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
Are there no good custom software tuners who can download tweak then reload? I did that on my last 986 and will likely do the same again with my 550.
All depends upon how much you are willing to spend. The reason you cannot just swap one for the other is the different versions of the DME had different control networks and sensors, and communicated differently; so someone would need to rewrite and then debug a lot of code, if it can even be done.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I get that. For my last 986 I had manifolds, 74mm TB exhaust etc and my remap was £350 and was a half day session on the rolling road. Probably did about 5 runs altogether with tweaks to the map each time.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #8

Garage
Is the 2004 550 SE anniversary tune any different than what would be found in a 2004 S?
Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #9
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I would think so as it has larger air box, rated for more power too.