Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Pilot bearing removal

I'm in the middle of a clutch job and I was just wondering if the pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel? If so what is the best way to remove this and install the new one.

tdamlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamlo View Post
I'm in the middle of a clutch job and I was just wondering if the pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel? If so what is the best way to remove this and install the new one.
Pilot bearing pulling tool:

Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
1999 base

Garage
or use this method:

assuming you are about to remove the flywheel in order to inspect/replace the IMSB
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #4

Garage
If your torn down that far replace the Fly Wheel. Most come shipped with a new pilot bearing.Check your back lash if over 10 degrees between mount plate and friction plate, replace it. If yours showns that spotted discoloration like in Meir's photos replace it those are hot spot that will have hardened the surface and cuase premature disc wear.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 03-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #5

I rented a pilot bearing puller but it was too big so I ended up using the socket method. I bought a sachs clutch kit which has a new pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot bearing and throw out bearing. I'm also replacing my rms and any other seal etc. that goes with this job. Thanks for tips!
tdamlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #6

What is a used Aansco light weight flywheel worth? Has new pilot bearing, looks perfect to me