Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

Garage
Brand New (Used) Owner...CEL...Help appreciated

Hey guys,

Just bought the car I've dreamed of since I was 9 or 10...a Porsche Boxster. Got a great deal on an 02 Lapis Blue (with tip because I had to frame it as "our" car to get her approval). Gorgeous car, had 83k on it, had the CD changer and a nice looking interior.

I know I need to do a passenger side regulator eventually, along with an eventual starter rebuild as I get the grind once every 9 or 10 starts, especially when its cold (think its a solenoid going bad).

Just had the CEL come on yesterday. The previous owner had a fuel leak fixed just before selling it as he made sure it passed smog tests and since it failed, he found there was a small fuel leak that he had fixed. I went to AZ and had them pull the codes, and they advised there were three: P1128, P1130 and P0455. I know that 455 is often related to a gas cap leak or something along those lines, but hadnt found them related to 1128 and 1130. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to clean the MAF and try a new gas cap. When I filled it up, I was also only able to get the needle to 3/4 if that matters (I assumed I needed to try the 45 degree trick next fill up.) My fill up was two days before the light went on, but Sunday was the first day I had driven the car more than 5 miles.

I also initially thought perhaps it may be the AOS. I cold started the car and removed the oil filler cap. It wasn't hard to remove, but it cause the engine idle to dip and start to sputter. However, after I warmed the car up and did it, no idle drop with the cap removed.

Is this an AOS, a MAF continuance of a fuel leak? Or did I just not tighten the gas cap properly (or does it need replacing?) Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated guys (or gals).

Jake

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Hey guys,

Just bought the car I've dreamed of since I was 9 or 10...a Porsche Boxster. Got a great deal on an 02 Lapis Blue (with tip because I had to frame it as "our" car to get her approval). Gorgeous car, had 83k on it, had the CD changer and a nice looking interior.

I know I need to do a passenger side regulator eventually, along with an eventual starter rebuild as I get the grind once every 9 or 10 starts, especially when its cold (think its a solenoid going bad).

Just had the CEL come on yesterday. The previous owner had a fuel leak fixed just before selling it as he made sure it passed smog tests and since it failed, he found there was a small fuel leak that he had fixed. I went to AZ and had them pull the codes, and they advised there were three: P1128, P1130 and P0455. I know that 455 is often related to a gas cap leak or something along those lines, but hadnt found them related to 1128 and 1130. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to clean the MAF and try a new gas cap. When I filled it up, I was also only able to get the needle to 3/4 if that matters (I assumed I needed to try the 45 degree trick next fill up.) My fill up was two days before the light went on, but Sunday was the first day I had driven the car more than 5 miles.

I also initially thought perhaps it may be the AOS. I cold started the car and removed the oil filler cap. It wasn't hard to remove, but it cause the engine idle to dip and start to sputter. However, after I warmed the car up and did it, no idle drop with the cap removed.

Is this an AOS, a MAF continuance of a fuel leak? Or did I just not tighten the gas cap properly (or does it need replacing?) Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated guys (or gals).

Jake
Take off your gas cap and look around it to see if the o ring seal is cracked or torn. if it is, get a new one.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Garage
1128 & 1130 for me were directly related to a vacuum leak in the intake system(AOS hose to throttle body) after the MAF.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I got 1128 and 1130 shortly after I bought mine (used). Then came the blast of white smoke out the exhaust on startup. That's the AOS, an easy fix.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks for the responses guys. I ordered a new gas cap to try that first. I believe mine has some kind of after market cap so I bought an oem cap from pelican.

Anyone done the aos by themselves? Is it difficult? Read the pedros garage article but always helpful to hear tips from those who have diyd it. Or if you took it to a shop what was the cost?

Thanks guys
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
2002 Boxster S

Garage
pelicanparts.com Tech articles Air_Oil_Separator

Doesn't look too hard, if you can get your car on jack stands.

Last edited by silver-S; 11-04-2013 at 05:09 PM.
silver-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #7

Garage
New gas cap arrived and confirmed that mine was aftermarket l'm going to replace that and get the codes cleared and see if that does anything.

I priced out shop repair prices on aos swap and was appalled. Found one guy who's local that was reasonable (336) two other shops wanted over 750...also both local. How is that possible? 350 seems right on a 130 dollar part and a couple hours of labor...for a local guy. 400 extra in labor is ridiculous. Anyone else have ideas as to why this is like this?

Jake