Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #1

Overheating

Hey,

Sorry if this is in the incorrect section.

i've had some problems with my boxster, what I think has happened is a friend has gone to put some water in put didn't put the cap on properly and the boot was soaked. The car started over heating and now won't stop, you can probably drive for 5 mins on flat land until the temp goes to red.

I've been told it needs to be pressure tested to diagnose the problem but just checking if anybody on here can give me some insight

Thanks all

Bodzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodzah View Post
Hey,

Sorry if this is in the incorrect section.

i've had some problems with my boxster, what I think has happened is a friend has gone to put some water in put didn't put the cap on properly and the boot was soaked. The car started over heating and now won't stop, you can probably drive for 5 mins on flat land until the temp goes to red.

I've been told it needs to be pressure tested to diagnose the problem but just checking if anybody on here can give me some insight

Thanks all
More than likely you have gotten an air pocket trapped in the cooling system. Before doing a pressure test, I would pull a vacuum on the system to get the air out and refill the system air free.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
jakesbox

just curious...but how does one "pull a vacuum" I see that term a lot, but not sure really what it means or what procedures are out there...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
just curious...but how does one "pull a vacuum" I see that term a lot, but not sure really what it means or what procedures are out there...
The best way is using a Uview vacuum filling system:

This is the same tool that Porsche uses, only about $600 cheaper because it does not have a Porsche logo on it. You can find it on Amazon and other places for about $100.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Hey, JFP, I've seen you preach the benefits of the Uview on several threads, and I couldn't agree with you more. I'm really glad I bought one. It takes a lot of the hassle out of working on the cooling system.

The Uview and the Motive power bleeder are essential Boxster tools as far as I'm concerned. (I think it was you that put me on to that one as well!)