Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Upgraded to stage 1 clutch and alluminum flywheel....CAR WONT START!!!! Please help!!

I recently did a clutch upgrade on my 97 Boxster.... went with clutch masters stage one kit and aluminum flywheel from Andy's auto sport. did the job as well as the IMS bearing replacement from pelican parts, and rear main seal. everything seemed to go smooth. put it all back together, and now the car just turns over but doesn't fire. sounds like it is trying to start but just sputters and dies.

Please help!! has anyone had this same problem?

Joelheston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

I have seen this before, check you crank position sensor as some aluminum flywheels do not have the correct spacing between the CPS and Hall Effect teeth on the back of the flywheel. This has sometimes caused actual wear on the end of the CPS.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

I bought a clutch/flywheel combo from clutchmasters and had an indy install them. They couldn't get the car to start with the new flywheel but it did with the old. I eventually had to get an another one direct from Aasco and it worked fine. I never followed up with aasco to see if they found anything wrong with the original one. I know they're made on a CNC machining center and as such, it's hard to imagine how one flywheel would differ from another, when intended for the same application. My indy also bent my valves while doing the IMSB replacement and didn't tighten all of the bolts on the clutch cover and crank sensor. Ask me how I know. ( see previous thread about 'strange clutch behaviour')
Is the check engine light on?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #4

hey thanks guys.... im going to put on the old flywheel tomorrow... ill let you all know.... wish me luck....
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #5

oh and woodsman... there is no check engine light.... I highly suspect the flywheel.... what is aasco? and are they the manufactures of the fly wheel for clutch masters?
Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelheston View Post
oh and woodsman... there is no check engine light.... I highly suspect the flywheel.... what is aasco? and are they the manufactures of the fly wheel for clutch masters?
Yes...they were 3 years ago.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #7

I installed the factory flywheel, and as suspected it started right up. The after market wheel ring on the back must be off just enough to distort the signal to the CKP. I contacted Andys auto sports and am still waiting for them to get back to me on replacement. Hopefully they just send me a new one like Woodsman. thanks for your help.... ill let you know when I get the new one installed and running.