Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

OBD2 Canada vs USA 2000

I have been told that it appears that the Boxster has a separate ECU program for the US
which doesn't seem to include Canada. The Durametric tool
uses Porsche specific diagnostic functions, it would seem that the
non-US version may not support standard OBD2 functions.

Is this the case? My US bought OBD 2 gauge is not working!!

I had always thought the ME 7.2 for US and Canada were the same!

The ROW would be a different story

Last edited by jaykay; 07-24-2013 at 10:59 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I have been told that it appears that the Boxster has a separate ECU program for the US
which doesn't seem to include Canada. The Durametric tool
uses Porsche specific diagnostic functions, it would seem that the
non-US version may not support standard OBD2 functions.

Is this the case? My US bought OBD 2 gauge is not working!!

I had always thought the ME 7.2 for US and Canada were the same!

The ROW would be a different story
To my knowledge, the only difference between the US and Canada DME programs had to do with daytime running lights, otherwise they are the same.

When you say you Durametric software "is not working", what are you referring to?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #3

Durametric works fine of course but my OBD 2 based dash gauge does not as apparently it was made to work with US cars. This does not make sense to me. I do have a Softronic flash loaded but it should not affect anything.....Stumped!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Durametric works fine of course but my OBD 2 based dash gauge does not as apparently it was made to work with US cars. This does not make sense to me. I do have a Softronic flash loaded but it should not affect anything.....Stumped!
I'm not; some aftermarket DME "flashes" keep from throwing codes by shutting down sensors and flat out lying to the DME (creating a bogus signal). We recently had a 996TT that could not pass state emissions inspection because the DME could not properly read the O2 sensors, as soon as the car was reflashed back to stock, everything read fine and it passed. Interestingly, the car did not run any different on the stock DME program.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #5

perhaps your obd dash unit is looking for info in imperial and you are producing metric info; might be as simple as a switch back.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #6

Good thought. I will check it out ....it may be an intialization time error where comm is not established in time for the dash to initialize...sooo it shuts down. I am just going by the display response
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I'm not; some aftermarket DME "flashes" keep from throwing codes by shutting down sensors and flat out lying to the DME (creating a bogus signal). We recently had a 996TT that could not pass state emissions inspection because the DME could not properly read the O2 sensors, as soon as the car was reflashed back to stock, everything read fine and it passed. Interestingly, the car did not run any different on the stock DME program.
Yes I am hoping mine is not doing this. I would image the Soft flash would be reasonable quality.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes I am hoping mine is not doing this. I would image the Soft flash would be reasonable quality.
Quality and price does not enter into it, a lot of them use these tricks.