Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Suspension parts: 2003 Boxster S

I had some clanking noise coming from the rear of the car, so I got under it to see if I could find anything. I found some loose shields, but what got my attention was the tire wear. The inside of both rear tires are worn a lot more the the outside. Matter of fact I see some steel showing through on the driver's side tire. So I need to look into some suspension work and new tires.

Where would I find the best diagrams on the suspension parts for both rear and front? Recommended places to buy from? Possible suspension kits also, but I really don't want to lower the rear end any, some lowering on the front would be ok.

I'm in the US. Thanks!

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
One other question. Is there a way to find out what wheels originally came on my car? The current wheels look like they are off an older 911. How/why these wheels are on this car I have no idea, I bought the car with them already on it.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

A ROW M030 factory shock and spring kit (Suncoast has a special @ $ 1040 or so) that would do nicely as it would lower the fr-only about 0.75 inch, rr no change ( from m030 or factory sport suspension) At those prices I can't see how anything other than OEM is the way to go. Of course you may not need new everything.
As for tire wear, I found the exact same pattern, including metal!, shortly after buying my Boxster. I bought new tires and the pattern isn't returning-mercy sakes alive, I didn't even change a part!! The first set of tires were Pirelle Zero Nero's and now I've got Michelin Super Sports that are almost toast (on RR ).
How many miles? Base or S? Pelican has some good suspension details on their technical series of ' how-to's'

Last edited by woodsman; 06-08-2013 at 10:40 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
Thanks for the reply woodsman. The car is a Boxster S, Tiptronic trans with a little over 100k miles now. I assume you're referring to this kit?

Boxster Euro Suspension Kit (ROW M030):Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
One other question. Is there a way to find out what wheels originally came on my car? The current wheels look like they are off an older 911. How/why these wheels are on this car I have no idea, I bought the car with them already on it.
The sticker on the under side of the front hood will list what options originally came on the car.
391 -- 17" wheels Boxster design
396 -- 17" wheels Boxster design
413 -- 18" Turbo-look wheels
If it had the standard 16" wheels, there might not be anything listed. Since you have an S, it probably came with 17" or 18" wheels since the larger front rotors of the S require at least the 17" wheels.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #6

KRAM36- that's the one! I bought it and am installing it now. The code for the factory sport susp. is M030. If your car doesn't have it now, you have that much more to gain. With 100 000 mi I think your suspension's tired all round. My car has 80 000 and it feels excellent but I thought I'd take advantage of the 'sale'. I now THINK that sale may in fact exist a lot longer than I expected ( it's been on 2-3 months now) but of course the supply may truly be limited. Whoever installs it would then have an easier time determining what that clunking noise is. My guess is that there's a control arm bushing that's badly worn. It could cause more damage if not addressed now.
Do you have 'allseason' tires?

Last edited by woodsman; 06-09-2013 at 11:56 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
The sticker on the under side of the front hood will list what options originally came on the car.
If it had the standard 16" wheels, there might not be anything listed. Since you have an S, it probably came with 17" or 18" wheels since the larger front rotors of the S require at least the 17" wheels.
Thanks for the response, but I didn't see any of those numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
KRAM36- that's the one! I bought it and am installing it now. The code for the factory sport susp. is M030. If your car doesn't have it now, you have that much more to gain. With 100 000 mi I think your suspension's tired all round. My car has 80 000 and it feels excellent but I thought I'd take advantage of the 'sale'. I now THINK that sale may in fact exist a lot longer than I expected ( it's been on 2-3 months now) but of course the supply may truly be limited. Whoever installs it would then have an easier time determining what that clunking noise is. My guess is that there's a control arm bushing that's badly worn. It could cause more damage if not addressed now.
Do you have 'allseason' tires?
That is a good deal, but it says it does lower the rear end a bit. Will look into the bushings, thanks.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
TeamOxford posted this link for option codes.

Porsche Option Codes List: The Grandmother of all Porsche Options List. Decode your Options

I have the number 239, which on this list shows it to be a 18" alloy wheels option and also the number 411, which on this list shows it to be a 18" Carrera wheels option . Just as I suspected and someone swapped these older 911 17" wheels out for them. Grrrr!

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-28-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
TeamOxford posted this link for option codes.

Porsche Option Codes List: The Grandmother of all Porsche Options List. Decode your Options

I have the number 239, which on this list shows it to be a 18" alloy wheels option and also the number 411, which on this list shows it to be a 18" Carrera wheels option . Just as I suspected and someone swapped these older 911 17" wheels out for them. Grrrr!
Your wheels look like aftermarket Cup I wheels that were popular on the 964 and a direct fit for the Boxster. Decent wheels that are easy to clean but may bend easily if you hit a pothole. (don't ask me how I know)
Old 06-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
I wouldn't doubt they are easy to bend. When I was adjusting the parking brake, one of the back wheels fell over onto the driveway and pitted the wheel a pretty good amount while it wobbled around on the wheel face. I didn't realize that the wheel stuck out that much from the tire and that it would damage so easily or I would have made an effort to stop the wheel from falling over.

How would I check if these are aftermarket or original Porsche wheels? I would suspect the original 18" wheels that came on the car would be lighter as I believe the 2003 model 18" wheel were light weight wheels that Porsche started to offer in 2003.

I just don't care much for the cup wheel looks on the Boxster. The rear tires were shot on the car and I would venture to say someone swapped these out while the car was at the dealership.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
I wouldn't doubt they are easy to bend. When I was adjusting the parking brake, one of the back wheels fell over onto the driveway and pitted the wheel a pretty good amount while it wobbled around on the wheel face. I didn't realize that the wheel stuck out that much from the tire and that it would damage so easily or I would have made an effort to stop the wheel from falling over.

How would I check if these are aftermarket or original Porsche wheels? I would suspect the original 18" wheels that came on the car would be lighter as I believe the 2003 model 18" wheel were light weight wheels that Porsche started to offer in 2003.
Most Porsche wheels will get scratched or damaged if you lay then face down. Handle with care, always face up to preserve the finish.

An OEM wheel normally has the width and offset marked at the valve stem, aftermarket are marked on the inner hub. I think mine were marked "Mille Miglia Made in Italy" on the inner hub as well. There is still a market for those if you want to sell them. It's a classic 964 look.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Need For Speed

Garage
I don't see any marks by the valve stem. This pic isn't my wheel, found it on Google, but my wheels have the exact markings I circled in green on this picture.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #13

They are copies .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Maybe I'll just paint them black.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #15

I'm not a big fan of black wheels , but that looks rather good !!!
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

This link has a very good list of wheels and PN's. Sorry for the link, but there was too much info to re-post here. If your wheels do not have the factory PN's, then they are likely aftermarket copies.

964 vs 993, a systems analysis - Page 3 - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #17

those wheels suit the Boxster body shape well but are boring.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
This link has a very good list of wheels and PN's. Sorry for the link, but there was too much info to re-post here. If your wheels do not have the factory PN's, then they are likely aftermarket copies.

964 vs 993, a systems analysis - Page 3 - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Very nice, as you said, lots of info. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
those wheels suit the Boxster body shape well but are boring.
They don't look bad I guess, I think my issue is they are old style wheels on a newer car, plus these are 17" wheels. They do need some spicing up.

Just realized the Boxster concept car had a variation of this wheel. The two-tone color isn't bad.

What about painting them black and a red line around the wheel like these? Too much? Bad combo with the silver paint?

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-30-2013 at 04:28 PM.