Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 03:30 AM   #1

Question Key won't go in!

Good morning,

I had a strange thing happen last night to my 00 Box. The key wouldn't go into the ignition. I thought the steering column was locked and adjusted that.... but it seems like something is stuck and won't allow me to put the key in. After I called for roadside service, I tried to put a smaller key in there just to see if something was stuck in there. Finally I was able to get my key to turn, but it seems like it's not making contact with the electrical system. I kind of jiggled the key around in the ignition switch so that I could get the lights to come on all the way - when I first put the key in and turned it on (which it turned over just fine) the lights were very dim until I shook the key around in the switch. Once I did that, the car was fine and I had no problems getting it home. I had a little trouble getting the key OUT of the ignition and getting the radio/etc to go off when I shut the door. Once the car is on, it's great and runs perfectly. Not sure if I have a loose connection or a bad solenoid..... anyone ever have this happen? I'm getting ready to sell my Box this weekend to a gentleman coming from out of town, and I'd love to be able to have it in perfect condition for him...... I've never had the first problem and this car has been extremely reliable and fun! Any thoughts? Thanks!!!!!!

Sunflower1975914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:07 AM   #2

Bad ignition switch. This is quite common.

Cheap part, maybe an hour of labor.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:25 AM   #3

Thanks Brucelee! That's always good news!!!

Many thanks!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:30 AM   #4

Sunflower, the dealership may try to sell you the whole assembly (big metal piece plus the plastic bit that's broken on your box), which is about $200 and takes about 2+ hours to install. Insist on getting the cheap, $17 plastic piece replaced as described by Brucelee above.

If they tell you they only have the whole part and not just the ignition switch, then go to a VW or Audi parts counter and get one. You'll have to do a search on this forum or renntech.org to find out the part number, or get ToolPants to give it to you (he knows everything about boxsters!)
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #5

Wow - okay - thank you! That's good to know, too.... I called a local Porsche shop here in No Va, but they advised that I'd have to get the part to bring to them or have the dealer do it. Hopefully the $17 part will do the trick -- and that I can get it to start up again so I can get it to the shop!!

Good info, much appreciated!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 AM   #6

My mechanic said that pushing the key in a bit and wiggling it while turning it back and forth should get it over to the start position with some fidgiting. Don't rely on this fix though as it's fallen apart and may only work once!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:49 AM   #7

btw,
its a well known fact that if you name your Porsche an effeminate name you will have many mechanical break downs.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #8

Randall - HAHAH! Yeah - how do you think I got home from Target last night!! Tried to wiggle and jiggle until the key would go in (the key, that is!!).

Next time I'll name my car after a guy. Maybe the mechanics won't try to take advantage of me..... (not that there's anything wrong with that, now!).
Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #9

similar

My car only has 250 miles on it and I have had trouble on a couple occasions getting the ignition switch to turn. Unlike you Sunflower, my key goes in, it just won't turn. By accident I discovered that pressing and releasing the clutch pedal frees it up. Odd?? My first guess was steering wheel lock but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #10

I am experiencing a "getting harder and harder to turn the key" thing right now.

Key goes in fine, its just with each week its getting harder to turn the key to start the beast.

I keep wanting to grab the WD40 to see if that helps

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:14 AM   #11

The good folks over at HBL Porsche told me last night that it was definitely the ignition switch.... but in the ignition switch's failing, it fried the battery. Nice!! I hadn't even thought about it, but HBL is covering the entire cost under my CPO warranty. Sweet!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower1975914
The good folks over at HBL Porsche told me last night that it was definitely the ignition switch.... but in the ignition switch's failing, it fried the battery. Nice!! I hadn't even thought about it, but HBL is covering the entire cost under my CPO warranty. Sweet!!!!

That is good news!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote