Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Enthusiast

Garage
Exhaust help

I am looking for a new exhaust on my 986. I have looked at the M2 exhaust and the Top Speed Pro 1 exhaust. These are both in the price range I want to spend on a new exhaust. What do you guys recommend?? Do any of you guys have any of these exhaust systems?? Drone?? Also, if there is any other system you guys recommend please let me know. I want to spend under $600.
Thanks!!

FrostyNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNothing View Post
I am looking for a new exhaust on my 986. I have looked at the M2 exhaust and the Top Speed Pro 1 exhaust. These are both in the price range I want to spend on a new exhaust. What do you guys recommend?? Do any of you guys have any of these exhaust systems?? Drone?? Also, if there is any other system you guys recommend please let me know. I want to spend under $600.
Thanks!!
Type Charlie Chan muffler in the search bar and you'll find your answer.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
I am looking for a new exhaust on my 986. I want to spend under $600.
Thanks!!
Fully expect to move into the sea of drone.

Stock exhaust does not drone, expensive carefully tuned exhaust does not drone. Cheap (under $600) cans are guaranteed drone city. The Pedro mod is the only way I know to get more attitude from your exhaust without deafening 2-3k drone.

YMMV
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
SPB racer

Garage
It would be helpful to know why you want to change the exhaust and which model of 986 you drive. Welcome.

Last edited by Jittsl; 02-23-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Garage
Take a look at this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/41683-top-speeds-cat-back-system-installation.html
I added some clamps that got rid of the drone on mine. My problem was more of an air leak but I think the extra mass on the cat delete pipes helped the whole system. I'm happy with the sound and definitely with the extra little bit of performance.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Enthusiast

Garage
I drive a 98 boxster 2.5L. I just want a louder, more tuned, better sounding exhaust.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Garage
This exhaust-

Porsche 986 Boxster 2 5L 2 7L Boxster s 3 2L 97 04 Performance Exhaust System | eBay

This exhaust-

OBX Catback Exhaust System 97 04 Porsche 986 Boxster 2 5L 2 7L 3 2L | eBay

This exhaust-

Porsche 97 04 986 Boxster Boxster s 2 5L 2 7L 3 2L Performance Exhaust System | eBay

And this exhaust-

M2 Performance Stainless Axle Back Exhaust System 1997 2004 Porsche Boxster 986 | eBay

And I dont know if this Borla one will fit-

Borla 140115 Cat Back Exhaust System | eBay

Anyone have any experience with any of these??
Thanks!!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
I drive a 98 boxster 2.5L. I just want a louder, more tuned, better sounding exhaust.
Louder is easy. My Specbox has an open exhaust with no cats or mufflers - makes it much louder. Well It would if I could hear anything anymore.

By more tuned I presume you mean improved performance. Any freer flowing exhaust (which is just about any of them) will probably slightly improve the performance. Don't expect miracles, Porsche ain't stupid. Doing away with the cats may also improve performance but is socially irresponsible an probably illegal.

Better sounding is entirely subjective so can't advise here unless you mean louder.

For $600 you can easily find any number of possibilities that will make the car louder and may slightly improve horsepower and almost certainly will reduce the weight from the all important rear. Although I have had said plenty of rude things about the figment of Topspeed's cat bypass (or test pipes) in the past, my guess is that their mufflers can't go too far wrong as (provided the pipe diameter is correct) the rest of the systems can be adjusted to fit. From what I have read and experienced almost any freer muffler will give issues with a drone. Be prepared.

If performance is not a high priority (and in reality the gains from replacing the muffler alone are going to be minimal) then consider the drilling of 1/2" holes up the tail pipe into the muffler that you'll find discussed in other threads.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Enthusiast

Garage
Yea, I like the top speed pro 1 exhaust but idk how good it will be opposed to the M2
they look the same
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Yea, I like the top speed pro 1 exhaust but idk how good it will be opposed to the M2
they look the same
That's precisely the joke behind the Charlie Chan moniker. It's clearly a case of one Taiwanese factory that's manufacturing these mufflers, and subsequently selling them to a bunch of parallel dealers. Thus, the reason why they all look identical. Find the one that's cheapest and buy it.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Enthusiast

Garage
I messaged the guy from top speed pro 1 and this is what he said when I asked about the difference in the mufflers between the M2 and their brand is that
Their exhaust are made of 16 Gauge thick piping with perforated straight through chamber with fiberglass sheet and stainless steel wool packings to reduce the drone level compared to M2 exhausts.

So idk

I will probably order their exhaust as what he said makes sense. They also seem to be the bestquality and seems they are pretty popular company. I would also be ordering from an American company and not some Chinese one.

Last edited by FrostyNothing; 02-24-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #12

Reference buying a new muffler for your 986

1. I purchased a cheap muffler off Ebay for less than $300.00 including shipping for my 1999 Boxster.

2. A local muffler shop charged me $120.00 to put it on for me.

3. Yes, it has a little bit of a drone. But the interior is loud straight from the factory and the stereo & speakers are junk anyway.

4. The new muffler weighs alot less than the OEM part and the best part is that my rear trunk no longer operates like a large oven.

5. And the dual exhaust tips look great!

Just my two-cents.
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:

I will probably order their exhaust as what he said makes sense. They also seem to be the bestquality and seems they are pretty popular company. I would also be ordering from an American company and not some Chinese one.
Ummm. I think you would be mistaken in thinking there is anything American going on at Top speed. If you really care you might want to check the country of origin of the parts. If you don't then I suspect lull be happy.