Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #1

CAN bus in 2001 Boxster S?

Reading the 101 Project book, it suggests that my 2001 Boxster S has at a minimum the wires for the CAN bus installed, but is there any signal running on them?

I am installing a Racelogic data acquisition system into my Boxster racing car and collecting RPM and throttle position from the CAN bus, but now I am wondering if these signals are available on my car as it is not the 2002 model

Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #2

PM sent.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
1999 base

Garage
not sure i understand what is your intention, but this is what you can connect to the OBD connector (standard in all vehicles from 06 and up)
pin 16 - 12 volts power
pin 5 - ground
pin 6 - can high (j-2284)
pin 14 - can low (j-2284)
this is what most scanner use, and most of the information can be extracted from these wires.
in some cases you will need to connect the k-line (pin 7) but i'm not sure you will need it in your case.
does the equipment you are about to install has installation instructions?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

Thank you paulv, I will follow your recommendation.

Meir, you posted the issue in your post "standard in all vehicles from 06 and up" Porsche did not start to use the CAN bus in the Boxster until 2002, but the wires and some of the CAN support systems were installed in 2001 model cars.

I want to register RPM and throttle position whilst racing into the Racelogic system, and they want by default to get this from the CAN bus. I am trying to find out if this information is available to me in my 2001 Boxster via the CAN bus cables, or if I need to collect RPM (not CAN signal) from the OBD connector and the analog throttle position from the pedal cluster.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroggers View Post

Meir, you posted the issue in your post "standard in all vehicles from 06 and up" Porsche did not start to use the CAN bus in the Boxster until 2002, but the wires and some of the CAN support systems were installed in 2001 model cars.

I want to register RPM and throttle position whilst racing into the Racelogic system, and they want by default to get this from the CAN bus. I am trying to find out if this information is available to me in my 2001 Boxster via the CAN bus cables, or if I need to collect RPM (not CAN signal) from the OBD connector and the analog throttle position from the pedal cluster.
without going into the whole OBD connector functionality.
you might be right. didn't notice (when posting my reply) you are from Finland.
my statement on the previous post is relevant for cars made for the US market starting January 1st 1996 (and i'm not talking Porsche only).
with that said, the diagnostic tool you are using (Durametric and such) are using the same wires to connect to your car, so i find it hard to believe you will not be able to get those readings with your device.
i'm currently testing an OBD reader with WiFi connectivity, that transmit that exact information to a smartphone app.
if you would like, i can test it on my friend's 99, and let you know if it works.
this is the device:
New WiFi WLAN OBD2 OBDII Wireless Diagnostic Scan Code Reader Universal | eBay
this is the app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8
this app can be displayed also on a double DIN head unit from pioneer and kenwood (using a smartphone), so you can have a nice display in your car.
(i hope i understand correctly what you are trying to achieve )

Last edited by Meir; 02-04-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroggers View Post

edit: vehicles from 96 and not 06
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

We are getting close in understanding Meir

I am installing the Racelogic Video VBOX in my 2001 Boxster racing car. It has the ability to collect additional data from the car for analysis. By default it uses the CAN Bus system and reads the data from there. Another option (which will require me to pay out for more accessories from them) will use a small box they make that converts analogue signals into CAN signals that are then supplied to the VBOX.

I had a look in the Bentley manual for the Boxster - for 2001 and on, Porsche did have the CAN wires installed (the CAN signal does not go to the OBD in the Bentley manual). But reading the 101 Boxster project book it states that Porsche did not actually use the CAN bus until starting 2002 when they changed to the 7.8 Motronic.

I am trying to understand if there is a CAN bus signal running in the CAN High and Low wires in my car or if they were just installed in preparation for 2002 model cars.

If there is a signal in my CAN wires that I can read the RPM and throttle position into the VBOX using a €20 Racelogic cable, and splice it into the CAN wires on the Boxster.

If there is no signal in my CAN wires, then I need to collect RPM etc using the analog approach and pay €200 for the conversion box from Racelogic.

I am trying to understand if I need to order a €20 or €200 part from Racelogic to complete the installation
Old 04-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

Meir,

Where can I get the information of the CAN Bus signals for my 2004 Boxster? I am working on converting my 2004 base model to Electric and in my conversion the engine, fuel system, exhaust system will be missing and I will need to replace or spoof the CAN Bus signals for the DME to work...:-(

Any help you can provide or point me in a direction will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote