View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Kroggers

We are getting close in understanding Meir

I am installing the Racelogic Video VBOX in my 2001 Boxster racing car. It has the ability to collect additional data from the car for analysis. By default it uses the CAN Bus system and reads the data from there. Another option (which will require me to pay out for more accessories from them) will use a small box they make that converts analogue signals into CAN signals that are then supplied to the VBOX.

I had a look in the Bentley manual for the Boxster - for 2001 and on, Porsche did have the CAN wires installed (the CAN signal does not go to the OBD in the Bentley manual). But reading the 101 Boxster project book it states that Porsche did not actually use the CAN bus until starting 2002 when they changed to the 7.8 Motronic.

I am trying to understand if there is a CAN bus signal running in the CAN High and Low wires in my car or if they were just installed in preparation for 2002 model cars.

If there is a signal in my CAN wires that I can read the RPM and throttle position into the VBOX using a €20 Racelogic cable, and splice it into the CAN wires on the Boxster.

If there is no signal in my CAN wires, then I need to collect RPM etc using the analog approach and pay €200 for the conversion box from Racelogic.

I am trying to understand if I need to order a €20 or €200 part from Racelogic to complete the installation
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote