Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #81

Is the left and right flap supposed to both move? My right flap with the circular holes moves but the flap with the oval holes does not.

Caeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeg View Post
Is the left and right flap supposed to both move? My right flap with the circular holes moves but the flap with the oval holes does not.
Yes both should move.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 AM   #83

My 25year old was in town last week and borrowed the car to visit some friends. Went out there last night to get something from the car and noticed foam all over the interior...Oh boy. I thought the next project was going to be the new control arm links I recently purchased. I suppose that can wait.

Dave in TX
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #84
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Attached Images

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #85

probably because of too hot outside, he did full blast the AC fan that made the inner vent foam materials out of the system.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:05 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfrigi View Post
probably because of too hot outside, he did full blast the AC fan that made the inner vent foam materials out of the system.
That's OK. Not her fault, and it is indeed HOT!

On the bright side she is 25 and can drive a stick...gotta be happy about that.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #87

Hey all. The 2004 986 I acquired from a family member in Houston this summer has this issue I have started the "through the heater core" repair because it was leaking anyway.
Can someone give me details on how to get the bottom (footwell) door bushing out? I removed the screw and arm that actuates it, but it seems to be too stuck/attached to the door end to just drop off. Is there a clip to undo or maybe I have to pry it? Don't want to break it.

NEVERMIND. I figured it out. Had to leave the "arm" attached to it and use a interior trim prybar to pop it loose.

Last edited by Exodus5; 01-18-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Exodus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 AM   #88

I have done this this evening. Thanks all for sharing this solving method of a very annoying issue on the boxster. Thanks guys!

Last edited by thejack; 01-31-2019 at 06:55 AM.
thejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #89

no heat fix

Originally Posted by 78F350

I did this fix tonight, took about two hours total and have great heat again! I cut the duct and my wife (she has little hands) was able to cover both flaps with aluminum duct tape. This is why I love the forums, If I had taken this to the dealer it would have cost hundreds of $$ but because of the extensive knowledge on this wonderful forum I was able to fix it with zero out of pocket costs, only my time. Thanks everyone.

MaddogsMotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:56 AM   #90
MarkT

Garage
I posted this question in the wrong place....sorry guys

Bits of foam are starting to come out off my vents.
Can I access the vent flaps using this through the dash method on my 05 box 987?
I am by no means a mechanic and hesitate to go through the front trunk.

Thanks
Markt213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #91
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markt213 View Post
I posted this question in the wrong place....sorry guys

Bits of foam are starting to come out off my vents.
Can I access the vent flaps using this through the dash method on my 05 box 987?
I am by no means a mechanic and hesitate to go through the front trunk.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure that it will work the same. I have not personally seen it in a 987, but someone quoted this method on another forum for Caymans. There won't be any harm in removing your console to take a look. I expect that the HVAC system is the same.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM   #92

Hi gang!

Regarding this issue, I have a question. I understand it effects the heater side of the system, but does it impact the A/C side in any way? I'm in Florida and will never use the heat, but definitely need the A/C to work properly. It won't be worth fixing for me if the A/C side of the system is not impacted.

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #93
Porschephile

Pretty sure it's going to effect both. Hot won't be hot and cold won't be cold. The doors block the other passages off when you switch from one to the other. Swiss cheese let's the air mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Hi gang!

Regarding this issue, I have a question. I understand it effects the heater side of the system, but does it impact the A/C side in any way? I'm in Florida and will never use the heat, but definitely need the A/C to work properly. It won't be worth fixing for me if the A/C side of the system is not impacted.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #94
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
What Tomikaze said.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:07 AM   #95
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Reviving this old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
stay positive.
in a year or two it will be all gone.
lucky for us, lack of foam affects only the heating function, and not the cooling.
Good morning people.

OK. I've had that foam problem, and was going to cover the flap(s) with aluminum tape (never fail). As I was researching the steps I visited this thread (Bookmarked).

Yesterday, again (and since I purchased the car in 8.17) If it's reasonalby hot outside (100F+) when I run the AC I'll get cold air. However, and it pops up randomly, occasionally it will start blowing cool air... and then tepid. This will last for 5 minutes... then return to cold... then 5-10 minutes... cool and tepid... then cold again. It repeats the cycle until the car is shut off. It seems like a "cycle".

So, this morning and as I was researching the repair process, I find that "... lack of foam affects only the heating function, and not the cooling." Given I run the heater maybe twice a year I'm not so concerned about the heat.

All that said... do the board pros believe that the flap repair will remedy the, when the ac is running, cold/cool/tepid/cold/cool/tepid/ etc cycle? Is there something else at which I should be looking? Is the "... lack of foam affects only the heating function, and not the cooling" statement correct? Thje Tomikaze response leaves me seeking further clarification. Thank you.

Thank you, wise minds.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:57 AM   #96
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Meir was incorrect. Missing foam on the heater core flap will allow varying degrees of your cooled AC air to flow over the always hot heater core, making the AC temp vary.

Fixing the heater core flap will solve this.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 AM   #97
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Meir was incorrect. Missing foam on the heater core flap will allow varying degrees of your cooled AC air to flow over the always hot heater core, making the AC temp vary.

Fixing the heater core flap will solve this.
Thank you, PW. It appears that will be my next project... this "winter".

Cheers!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #98
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I did this project yesterday. Mostly because no matter where I directed the air via the buttons it came out all vents almost equally. The front flap had no foam left at all. The rear flap still had most of the holes covered with a super thin layer of brittle foam. So I removed what I could from the rear flap and covered them both with silver foil duct tape.

I plugged the HVAC controller back in to make sure the flaps both worked before I put it all back together, i'm glad I did. The rear flap wasn't working. It must have fallen out of the actuator while I was removing foam or taping it. Well I got it back where it belongs and everything works great.

Now I can get the air to come out of what vents I want and I think the AC blows colder now that it isn't picking up any heat from the core.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #99
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Nice one, Tommy
Old 12-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #100
jcp

Hi guys...my first post here. '99 Boxster Base with the flake problem. Found this thread and followed the various posts with complete success!! I started the project with trepidation but with all the posts for help, it really went well. Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

jcp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam , vent