Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #1

Oil leak

Just noticed an oil leak from my 02 base. Seems to be centerline about even with the center of the wheels. I put some cardboard under the car last night and it only had three small spots, though when I discovered it last night there was enough that it had run downhill and tracked about a foot.

Worried that my new toy is becoming a money pit two weeks after buying. knew it needed tires and an alignment when I bought her: kaching.

I have another post about a whine I get above 30 mph that isn't changed with engine rpm, braking, etc... could these problems be related?

Hoping it's not the IMS.

afpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #2

Garage
Did you tab your finger in the dripped oil... Transmission fluid has a distinct smell to it.
Low oil in your tranny will cause the tranny to whine...
If the oil is dripping from the car you need to figure out whre its coming from... remove the triangular shaped
cover under the tranny and check everything. Unlikely that the IMS is leaking, its more likely the RMS that's
leaking if anything. If the seam between the engine case and trany case is wet then you'll more than likely have
an RMS leak (In which case you might as well replace the IMS while you're in there because 90% of the work to
get there is already done) on the other hand it could be something simple (no way of knowing until you look in detail)
Welcome to Boxster ownership by the way... a lot of people buy these cars and get discouraged about maintenance
and things that go wrong. It's like any other car except the parts cost more - but thats why you drive a Porsche and
not a Lada Depending how much you drive it, I would probably budget 2-3K per year on maintenance, but
depending on how much the previous owner neglected it, you might be spending a few more bux in the first year
to get all the issues sorted out. Anyhow thats just my opinion

Last edited by Heiko; 01-11-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #3

Garage
Don't forget, it could also be the breather pipe on the bottom of the AOS as they often split, leaking oil onto the transmission and drive shaft area (passenger side).
If it is this, its a cheap fix - Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by afpa View Post
Just noticed an oil leak from my 02 base. Seems to be centerline about even with the center of the wheels. I put some cardboard under the car last night and it only had three small spots, though when I discovered it last night there was enough that it had run downhill and tracked about a foot.

Worried that my new toy is becoming a money pit two weeks after buying. knew it needed tires and an alignment when I bought her: kaching.

I have another post about a whine I get above 30 mph that isn't changed with engine rpm, braking, etc... could these problems be related?

Hoping it's not the IMS.
Take the car to your Indy, put it up in the air and have a look. Along with determining the source, it will give you some peace of mind...........
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

thanks for all the input. I'm taking it into the shop in the morning. They have an excellent rep in town, so I'm optimistically hopeful they won't shaft me.

Planning on the worse budget wise for the first year (already put $800 in her the first week with tires / alignment!). I figure fix anything and everything possible right off the bat to get some piece of mind. She'll be my daily driver, so I'm guessing around 10K miles a year.

I'll have them look at the bearings (rear whine >40mph), top off any / all fluids, etc.. while she's in the shop.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #6

I have had a leak for the last six years and 20k miles coming either from the rms or IMS. I tried to get Porsche to look at it but my warranty had expired. I'm going to fix it when I update my IMS in a few months as I figure it's the rms.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

RMS it is, along with a valve gasket. So...with the tires and alignment she needed, this will bring my grand total for repairs / maint to $2300.

They couldn't find / hear the whine from the driver's side / rear at speed.

I bought her three weeks ago.

I'm praying I've taken care of everything pressing and can just start enjoying the ride.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #8

Quote:
RMS it is, along with a valve gasket. So...with the tires and alignment she needed, this will bring my grand total for repairs / maint to $2300.

I'm praying I've taken care of everything pressing and can just start enjoying the ride.
IF they are going to do the RMS, have them do the IMS update as well; you will have already paid the major labor costs just to get at the RMS......
Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #9

Quote:

They couldn't find / hear the whine from the driver's side / rear at speed.

I bought her three weeks ago.

Seriously just get the IMSB done and make it an even 3 grand. If you're in there you "might as well"
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Might be looking at a new clutch upon inspection while tranny is pulled. If your valve cover is "seeping" and was previously a garage queen it might heal itself once you turn it into an everyday driver.
Uller God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #11

'valve gasket'? i don't think there is a gasket between the cam cover and the head. there is a gasket between the head and the block, but you'd be paying a lot more to change that.

the cam cover is just torqued on with a bead of anaerobic sealant. before pulling it and re-sealing it, perhaps just retorque all the bolts. also, the spark plugs pass through the cam covers via plastic tubes sealed at each end by rubber o-rings. these tubes often crack and the o-rings wear. the resultant oil leaks often present as cam cover leaks. might just be time for new plugs, tubes and o-rings instead.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #12

Good lord... add a new clutch to the damage. Mechanic did a nose to tail check: suspension, exhaust, tranny, wheel bearings, etc...all good. Asked about the IMS and they said it's solid.

So... I've had her for less than a month.
Tires: $700
4 wheel alignment: $110
RMS, clutch, leak at valve cover: $3200

I've officially lost the glow from buying my first Porsche.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Good lord... add a new clutch to the damage. Mechanic did a nose to tail check: suspension, exhaust, tranny, wheel bearings, etc...all good. Asked about the IMS and they said it's solid.

So... I've had her for less than a month.
Tires: $700
4 wheel alignment: $110
RMS, clutch, leak at valve cover: $3200

I've officially lost the glow from buying my first Porsche.
$3200 seems steep... The parts cost if you pay retail for a stock clutch/RMS should run <$650 unless you're replacing the DM flywheel as well. What exactly are you getting for the other $2550? That's 25.5hrs or more at most indies. The clutch/rms should only take half of that.

Last edited by shadrach74; 01-15-2013 at 11:59 AM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #14

So you are located where in Florida? Anywhere near Pedro's Garage?

Is the car apart? Just how did the mechanic determine what he told you were the causes of your leak(s)? What is his reputation?

When I bought my second Boxster, the Pre-Purchase-Inspection I had done told me I needed similar things and I negotiated on price to help pay for some of them. Yes I bought tires and alignment and brakes and a few other things and had a 60k service done but then the car was good for the next 5 years or more.

In your case, I'd go ahead and do the IMS unless the mechanic has done a camshaft deviation test to tell you it is rock solid and even then I probably would just to enhance the car's value. And I'd have it done by someone who had already done 20. I don't want him doing his first on my engine.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #15

dont worry....BUY IT DRIVE IT BREAK IT FIX IT !

many of us have been thru the same thing. Personally my total was 4800.00 within 60 days of purchase. once the car is "sorted " i'm sure you'll love it. Try getting it in the power band 4 to 6 thousand rpm and you'll forget all about the repairs BUY IT DRIVE IT BREAK IT FIX IT !

nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote