Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

dual mass flywheel gone bad??

from time to time, mostly in 2nd gear while "coasting" to a stop, I can hear ticking. noise. it's when the engine rpm is 1K to 2K and the brake is starting to dominate over engine braking.
if the dampener in the dual mass flywheel is shot, would it make this noise.
car is 01 5 speed, 125K miles on original clutch.
thanks in advance
tad

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #2

The dual mass flywheel is incapable of making any noise, other than the scream owners let out when they find out how much they cost to replace. From your description, it would appear to be more of a bearing issue in the driveline, but it is impossible to diagnose without actually seeing the car. Your best bet would be to take it to a good Porsche shop and have them look at and listen to the problem………..
Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #3

JFP in PA. thanks for your input.
i kinda know how a bad CV joint and axle bearing sound like. it's more like a loose spring in the traditional clutch disc is flopping around.
under load, no noise. I hear it more from the right side.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
JFP in PA. thanks for your input.
i kinda know how a bad CV joint and axle bearing sound like. it's more like a loose spring in the traditional clutch disc is flopping around.
under load, no noise. I hear it more from the right side.
update: outer cv boot split. guess i need to re-think. I know what a bad CV joint sounds like on a front wheel drive car when turning, but not when it is going straight (as in the cv joints on the drive shafts of Boxster.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #5

so I got the CV boots replaced on both sides along with water pump.
The rattle is still there. only hear it when the drive train is unloaded. Namely the car is in gear and only when there is no net power transmitted by the engine to the wheels or wheel to the engine.
any thoughts?
thanks in advance
tad
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
so I got the CV boots replaced on both sides along with water pump.
The rattle is still there. only hear it when the drive train is unloaded. Namely the car is in gear and only when there is no net power transmitted by the engine to the wheels or wheel to the engine.
any thoughts?
thanks in advance
tad
If you were getting a clicking sound from the CV Boot/joint, then there is a good chance the joint is shot... Was the joint dry? Putting a new boot with fresh grease on a worn joint is pointless. I have heard boots slap together where they've split which simply necessitates boot replacement. Did you make sure that all the components of the axle were serviceable before you installed new boots?
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
If you were getting a clicking sound from the CV Boot/joint, then there is a good chance the joint is shot... Was the joint dry? Putting a new boot with fresh grease on a worn joint is pointless. I have heard boots slap together where they've split which simply necessitates boot replacement. Did you make sure that all the components of the axle were serviceable before you installed new boots?
performed by the dealer. no problem with the CV joints
Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #8

I would like to post this question differently.
having read many threads on flywheels, what sound or "feel" would indicate a DMFW going bad?
thanks much
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Crazy Austrian

Garage
I don't believe they make a noise you might get a slight hesitation on quick take off but most likely you will not be able to tell. the one sure way is drop the transmission and measure the movement of the flywheel plus check the condition of the clutch surface area
Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
I don't believe they make a noise you might get a slight hesitation on quick take off but most likely you will not be able to tell. the one sure way is drop the transmission and measure the movement of the flywheel plus check the condition of the clutch surface area
Thanks for your input.
Would I be able to "feel" the play if I jack up one rear tire, have the tranny in gear and try rotating the tire?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

No, you would not be able to feel it for multiple reasons. The movement at the flywheel is only a few millimeters; there is way too much other slop in the driveline to detect it at the wheel, even with gear ratio multiplication. It has to be measured at the circumference of the flywheel to do it accurately.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Crazy Austrian

Garage
As JFP said - NO

Last edited by harryrcb; 07-31-2012 at 06:19 PM.
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #13

thanks much for all your inputs.
it turned out to be locked alternator pulley playing havoc with the serpentine belt tensioner.
examined the pulley, no free wheeling. replaced the pulley, checked all 3 rollers and just got back from 14 mine drive. no more noise.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #14

Garage
Good to know you got it fixed. Thanks for the update on the problem.

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote