Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #1

Brake bleeding procedure?

What is the correct procedure for bleeding the brakes on my 02 boxster?

I am removing all 4 calipers to refinish them, and I want to switch to ATE Superblue fluid. Is there a special procedure to bleeding due to ABS, or do I just do the typical start furthest from the master and work my way up?

Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1137 View Post
What is the correct procedure for bleeding the brakes on my 02 boxster?

I am removing all 4 calipers to refinish them, and I want to switch to ATE Superblue fluid. Is there a special procedure to bleeding due to ABS, or do I just do the typical start furthest from the master and work my way up?
Here is a good DIY guide.

Bleed the Brakes & Clutch
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #3

Are you required to bleed the clutch everytime you bleed brakes? Is the system together?
Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #4

+1 on Pedro's brake bleeding tutorial. He has an excellent article on painting your calipers too. Paint the Calipers

(I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but Pedro's site is very slow to load in Internet Explorer but it pops right up when I use Safari.)

Best advice - get one of those Motive power bleeders - worth its weight in gold, especially if you are going to bleed the clutch line as well. I have the European Black Label model and I think it was worth the extra couple of dollars.

The clutch and brake do share a common reservoir so you really should bleed both the clutch and brakes together.

I'm with you on the Superblue. It sure takes the guesswork out of knowing when you are done.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #5

If you left the system open while refinishing the calipers (e.g.: let all the fluid drain out), you will need access to a PIWIS or Durametric system to cycle the ABS/PSM system while bleeding it because there is now air trapped in the pump and control system, which will not come out without the computer cycling the system.

And yes, you should always bleed the clutch when flushing the system; adds about 1 min. to the process.