Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Ignition switch installation problem

My 2001 Boxster developed an intermittant starting problem, so I bought the electrical part of the ignition switch as described on this forum (4A0 905 849B).

With no key in the ignition, I removed the old switch and installed the new one according to instructions on Pedro’s Garage.

On the new switch, I noted that the central mechanical connection that engages the male part attached to the car was 90 degrees off compared with the old switch. I used a flat blade screwdriver to rotate this to the same position as in the old switch.

When I pressed the electrical plug onto the new switch, the chime sounded (doors were open) and all the dash lights came on, as if I had turned on the ignition, although the key was not in there.
When I did insert the key, it would not turn.

Do I have a defective new switch?
Or should I have disconnected the battery before messing with this stuff?

I’m not sure what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated.

David Wildrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

Garage
David -

I have replaced mine twice and each time had disconnected the battery first.

Maybe disconnect battery and wait 15 minutes and reconnect.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #3

I think I figured out the problem. I bought this 2001 from the dealer in 2005. It had a comprehensive 2-year warranty.

While still on warranty, the ignition switch failed and they replaced it. I assumed they replaced it with the original part, 4A0 905 849 B-5155. I have 2 of these on hand because I expected the damn switch to fail again eventually, and that’s what I tried to install (and does not work).

However, the part I removed turns out to be the newer one, 4B0 905 849, that was installed in 2004 Boxsters. The only external difference is that the older part number switch is about a quarter inch longer (which makes it a little harder to get the set screws into the notches).

What I don’t understand is that Pelican Parts says these 2 switches are not interchangeable. So how did they get the 4B0 905 849 to work in my 2001?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Garage
I was under the impression that the Audi part AU4A0905849B was the newer version of the switch and it was compatiable on the 97 -2004.5 MY Boxsters.

If you have two did you try to install the other one with battery off, could have shorted it out during install if you had the battery connected the first time.

On Suncost (where I bought mine) it worked fine.
Ignition Switch:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

By the way what part of Houston are you located at? Might have to get the other Houston area Boxsters together before it get's too hot for top down driving.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

I followed the instructions from “Pedro’s Garage.” If you go to the link for this (Replace Ignition Switch),
and scroll down to the third figure you will see the following:

[IMPORTANT NOTE:
On model year 2004 and newer cars, the ignition
switch was upgraded and is different from the
one described above. The new Audi part
number for this upgraded switch is: 4B0 905 849.
These switches are not interchangeable.
The new version is substantially more expensive.]

My car is a 2001, but the switch I removed was the 4B0 905 849.

If you go to the Pelican Parts procedure for changing the switch (Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Ignition Switch Replacement - 986 / 987),
they have these part numbers backwards (which is indicated in the comments people added after the “how to” instructions), and I am sure this has led to confusion on this issue.

Before I had the current switch failure, I had already bought 2 of the 4A0 905 849 B-5155 switches that are supposed to work on the 2001 (and earlier) cars. I only tried one of them, but they are not the same as the switch I removed.

Today, I bought a 4B0-905 849 from a local independent Porsche repair place ($42 vs. $92 quoted by the local Audi and VW dealers), although you can get them for $8 from Amazon. But I want to put this in the car tonight. I will disconnect the battery this time, just in case.

I’m in Southwest Houston in Meyerland, 5 miles W. of the Medical Center.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Garage
I wonder if they upgraded your Ignition Lock Housing to the newer 2004 version also when you had the issue under warranty?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
I wonder if they upgraded your Ignition Lock Housing to the newer 2004 version also when you had the issue under warranty?
It could be. I didn't look for the paperwork on the warranty job.
If they did change to the newer version, I guess it means there wasn't a big improvement in failure rate of the "improved" switch over the old one. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wildrick View Post
It could be. I didn't look for the paperwork on the warranty job.
If they did change to the newer version, I guess it means there wasn't a big improvement in failure rate of the "improved" switch over the old one. I'll let you know what happens.
Well, I dug out the warranty repair info. from 2007. They did change the ignition assembly instead of just replacing the electrical part of the switch. Looks like the "improved" switch lasts 5 years.
Mystery solved. I installed the correct switch and everything works now.
Thanks for the assistance.