Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Garage
What oil weight is best for the 2.5l?

So a few weeks ago I got the first oil change since I've owned the Boxster. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic and am now wondering if I used the right weight. I used 10W-30 and ever since I got it changed there's a slight ticking coming from the engine. It's more noticeable when I start it up in the garage. It still runs extremely smooth and there's no issue with performance. So I'm wondering if I should've used a heavier weighted oil? I live in FL so the climate is a little warmer. Thanks for any input.

1999 Triple Black Boxster
2004 Volvo XC 90 (5-Kid Carrier)
1stBlkBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stBlkBoxster View Post
So a few weeks ago I got the first oil change since I've owned the Boxster. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic and am now wondering if I used the right weight. I used 10W-30 and ever since I got it changed there's a slight ticking coming from the engine. It's more noticeable when I start it up in the garage. It still runs extremely smooth and there's no issue with performance. So I'm wondering if I should've used a heavier weighted oil? I live in FL so the climate is a little warmer. Thanks for any input.
Probably not the right oil for your car. Some drivers run Mobil 1 0W-40, I run Castrol 5W-40, some run 10W-50. All should be full synthetic.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to ryanwise
Theres been tons written on this subject but I found an interesting article written by Pedro on Pedro's board. Pedro's shop is in Miami. As any engine accumulates miles, tolerances begin to wear also. Due to the fact that we live in Florida where we don't have to deal with freezing start up temps, we dont necessarily need 0 or 5 weight oils and in fact, we could run as high as 15 weight. On the high side.........since we drive these cars in 90-95 degree temps 9 months out of the year with the air on......they get hot and definately could use the 50 weight viscosity ...................so on a higher mileage engine....driven in Florida all year......... 15W50? According to Pedro....its OK.
ryanwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Our shop runs 10/60 in the race cars.. and can show you what it looks like bearing wise after running it for 6 years in track cars

I agree.. the cars are too old for for the thin stuff, and Mobil sold to Exxon in 99-00 and what Porsche bought from Mobil originally is not what is being sold now (lots of additives were removed so Exxon could make more money on each quart)

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Here in SoCal (similar to Florida weather-wise) I run Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage year round. The High Mileage version includes the anti-wear and seal conditioning additive package.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

anything-30 is pretty much the wrong oil. like previous posters have said, there are a lot of write ups on here. to sum up the lower the first number (0, 5, 10...) the lower viscosity (thickness) at colder temps to lubricate the parts until the oil warms up.

bob's the oil guy has a great "course" called "Motor Oil 101" - it'll tell you everything and more you ever wanted to know about oils...

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy

**also** go post pics of your black boxster on the http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/34334-official-black-boxster-thread.html

Last edited by tonycarreon; 03-14-2012 at 03:22 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I agree.. the cars are too old for for the thin stuff, and Mobil sold to Exxon in 99-00 and what Porsche bought from Mobil originally is not what is being sold now (lots of additives were removed so Exxon could make more money on each quart)
B
This is quite true. I once used Mobil 1 exclusively, but within just a few months after the Exxon merger / takeover, I noticed that the color and pour point on Mobil 1 had suddenly changed.

I don't appreciate anyone trying to take advantage of their customer with such a bait and switch tactic. I will certainly never use their products again.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

One thing I always wonder about is the IMS.

On the one hand, if your bearing seal is already toast, I suppose thinner oil get penetrates more easily would be better. On the other hand, if your bearing is still sealed, thicker oil might be preferable. No realistic way to know.

I hedge with 5w40.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks for all the input. Now...do I dump $50 worth of oil or just deal with it for a while? Also, Tonycarreon I would post a picture of it but I'm not quite sure how to. Thanks!

1999 Triple Black Boxster
2004 Volvo XC 90 (5-Kid Carrier)
1stBlkBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #10

I ran Mobil 1 10W-30 for the first oil change in my first Boxster with the 2.5 engine. It was summer time. As I learned more about the car I changed to the 10W-40. I think if you change it out when you reach 3,000 to 5,000 miles it "should" be OK. Now about brand. Many are convinced Mobil 1 isn't what it once was. Many now like Castrol Edge/Syntec and some other brands. With my second Boxster S I to have switched to the Castrol. I've actually used Castrol brand oils in my motorcycles for over 40 years. I think brand is mostly a choice that is personal and based on what gives you peace of mind. But 40 weight is necessary.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. Now...do I dump $50 worth of oil or just deal with it for a while? Also, Tonycarreon I would post a picture of it but I'm not quite sure how to. Thanks!
- personally, i'd dump it asap, especially if you plan to drive the car at all. the problem is the oil is going to be too thin at normal temps

- to post pictures, use "Click here to upload a photo..." link under the editing box:
Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. Now...do I dump $50 worth of oil or just deal with it for a while?
Would you rather dump $50 for oil or +$10,000 for an engine replacement. Pretty easy now?

I suggest you use Mobil 1's 5W50. It is Porsche approved. My UOA's with this oil are excellent, and slightly better than when I was running Red Line 5W40. The 5W50 is a little hard to find, and about $9/quart.

Here's one place you can order from:

Industrial Lubricants | Food Grade Lubricants detail&itemcode=98HF24
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #13

Drain it into clean container(s), then use it for another car. Or your lawnmower---a lifetime supply!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #14

15W50 Mobil 1 every 5K in eastern NC No freezing weather.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #15

Pedro, I will be in Florida (Miami) in May what is your shops address? Do you sell parts ?
Thanks

Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote