Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

TPC Supercharger question

I have recently purchased a 97 boxster with a TPC supercharger kit. Car is great but at rpms below 2K when you accelerate it seems to either get way to rich and miss or is way to lean. Has the same symptom when using lots of throttle. Check engine light flashes then when running smooths out it stops flashing. I suspect there may be a problem with extra injector controller. Does anyone have experience with this? Are any of the LED's on the control box supposed to illuminate on idle? It is installed in the trunk so impossible to see when driving.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Jim

jporter1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #2

There is a thread here about a tpc install. Front what I understand, there were various iterations of the kit with different controllers (or lack thereof). Typically, control was very simple: fuel delivery to the seventh injector was based on (a) rpm, and (b) vacuum. This is the only info sent to the controller. So, perhaps you have a vacuum leak. Otherwise, perhaps the controller is ****************ered. I think tpc will replace/reprogram if asked. Finally, this may just be how the beast operates - I've read in a variety of places that their seveth injector approad Twithout remap or timing revisions) was imperfect at the best of times).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #3

This is from the installation manual for the TPC supercharger

26. VERY IMPORTANT: Testing procedure for the additional injector controller.
a. Initial Test
i. With engine running, rev. engine to 2,200 rpm and rpm red light will come on.
ii. Blip throttle hard past 2,200 rpm and bst light (red) will come on.
iii. Blip throttle again and one or two (green) leds will illuminate to confirm your
injector is driving.
b. Final Test (to check if injector will fire)
i. Run engine at 2,200 rpm and disconnect trigger wire from injector (ground not
B+) and momentarily touch to ground to drive injector (Engine should flood
immediately).
ii. If engine does not flood. Push injector connector more firmly into place (wiggle
connector and push real damn hard).
27.DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TEST DRIVE CAR IF THE ABOVE PROCEDURE DOES NOT GO AS
OUTLINED.
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

Wait until the SC fails. The angle they mounted it at causes an oil starvation issue in the SC drive gears

I worked on the first Boxster with the kit in 1998 (written up in Panarama)

POS

Mike Levitas personally came out multiple times to "work" on the car.. still never ran right.

People found out we had a car? then proceeded to ask us to fix their 993's with the TPC kit.. NONE of them ran right!!!!!!

My favorite is the amount of Turbo kits they have sold and the number of engines that have failed.. you see the owners posting online about the kits and how great they are.. then you don't hear from them?? Hum.. then we end up buying core engines from people with the kits.. hum..

Run.

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #5

Garage
Send a message via MSN to tim986
Talking Supercharger Fix

Best thing for you to do is get a
unichip and have it Dyno Tuned.

I have the same set up I dont use the 5th injector anymore its not required if you fit a UNICHIP.

I fitted a 5bar Fuel Pressure Regulator and dyno tuned with the UNICHIP and now have 180kw at the wheels which is not bad for a little 2.5lt Boxster main problem with the TPC kit is the restriction where the boost pipe is squashed to fit in the engine bay.

I love my little boxster I'm currently in the process of rebuilding it.

I also have a tuned 996 Turbo with 628ft/lbs and 400hp atw and I'm sure I can drive the Boxster faster in the mountains for driving on the twisty stuff you really cant beat the boxster.
tim986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #6

Garage
Send a message via MSN to tim986
Fit a unichip and get it dyno tuned

tim986 is offline   Reply With Quote