Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #21

Garage
Do you have a reusable air filter?

Here's an idea....I had the exact same think happen on my Ford Explorer, It would just seem to fire then shut off immediately, I too check fuel pressure and it was fine (just like you).

The problem turned out to be a dirty MAF sensor, the oil from my recently installed cold air intake's filter was messing up the MAF sensor, I pulled it out, cleaned it with some brake fluid, put it back in and VOILA the truck fired and idled fine.

Worth a try, sounds like a MAF sensor issue to me.

Piper

986piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #22

This may not be fuel, maf, cps problem at all. I've seen many problems with immobilizer or key recognition. You may have a key transponder failing. If you have another key, try using it and see if the problem goes away. If it does, switch back and see if the problem reoccurs. I have a VW that had the same symptoms you've described, and when it wouldn't stay running, the immobilizer "key" symbol would flash. It would just start and die several times. I'm not sure if the Boxster has an immobilizer symbol as I haven't been able to check mine (in storage till spring).
Autobahn Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:15 AM   #23

Any solution

Hello,

I was just wondering if you ever found a solution? I have the identical issue as you described. The only thing I can add is that the 2 times this has happened to me, both days were hotter than average 31C [90F]. Fuel pump, MAF and CPS are all functioning correctly.

To my ears the instant "shut down" gives me the feeling it's not fuel, but spark related... In my experience fuel issues generally involve a bunch of coughing and sputtering before the engine dies... This is instant, car runs as expected for about 1.5 seconds and then shuts off like the ignition was turned off.

Immobilizer issue sounds plausible, but does anyone have any other opinions or experience?
d2_mcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #24

I’m having this problem as well, did the original poster get if figured out?
garym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym View Post
I’m having this problem as well, did the original poster get if figured out?
When I had this problem it was related to a giant vacuum leak I created when replacing the starter. The car can only compensate the mixture so much. The fact that it starts seems to suggest fuel and spark are there, but air could be the issue. Just a thought.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
When I had this problem it was related to a giant vacuum leak I created when replacing the starter. The car can only compensate the mixture so much. The fact that it starts seems to suggest fuel and spark are there, but air could be the issue. Just a thought.
My problem turned out to be a bad fuel pump.
garym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #27
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Ignition switch perhaps?

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote