Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #1

987 S Power v. 986 S Power

Has anyone driven them back to back? Is there a difference in acceleration? I think the best 0-60 times I have seen for the 987S is 5.0sec and 986 S is 5.2sec. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Does anyone know what Porsche did to gain the 20hp? It seems that the 986 S should be able to gain these 20 horses that are hiding in there fairly easily. Perhaps dropping the 987 ECU, intake, exhaust into the 986?

Kan-O-Z

Kan-O-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:13 AM   #2

Based on the collective experience of the board here, I would not agree that an "easy" 20HP are to be had on the aftermarket front. Several folks have actually gone backwards when adding exhaust mods for example.

To my recollection, changes were made to the intake, exhaust and ECU in the 987 models.

I do not believe these are simply "bolt ons" to the 986 but your parts dept would know for sure, as well as be able to give you prices for the parts if they are indeed, add ons.

Don't forget labor costs, they can be a killer.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #3

I'm not really so interested in 0-60 times. What's .3's of second to a non-competitive motorist?
I drove my 2000S behind a 987S recently on the highway and the extra 30 HP is just enough to seem noticeable. He was pulling away quickly. Definitely a huge AUDIO difference. I could hear the other guys car more than the engine sitting directly behind me!

On paper it makes sense, another 22 HP from purely intake and exhaust mods. But there's more to it. The engine internals have also been upgraded, which allow the aiflow changes to be bigger.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote