Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

Top latch slipped out and locked up

On the way into work this morning there was a loud bang and the windows dropped down like I was putting down the top. When I checked it out I see that the latch for the top has popped out of the slot it goes into while closed. Its out about 1/4 inch max. When I try and pull the latch handle it wont budge. I tried to push it forward to get the latch back in the slot with no luck. An ideas whats going on here? Did something internal break? To get the windows to stay up I have to press the sensor with my finger so they go up then turn the car off. The sensor is obviously still working.

Earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Matt

Just to clarify... You were putting down the top on January 11? You suck... Three new inches of snow, and growing. But back to the topic. Did you not disengage the latch completely causing it to catch on the way back? If so, and I think out loud: If it caught the latch on the way back, the mechanism (microswitch) might think it is latched which would (I believe) cause the entire mechanism to be locked out.

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 01-11-2012 at 08:13 AM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #3

Nope I didn't touch the top at all, I was driving with the top up and locked. I had the top down about a week ago and haven't had any issues until today.

It has been in the 60's here so I would like to fix it and use it
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn View Post
Nope I didn't touch the top at all, I was driving with the top up and locked. I had the top down about a week ago and haven't had any issues until today.

It has been in the 60's here so I would like to fix it and use it
Hmmm. Never mind.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
On the way into work this morning there was a loud bang and the windows dropped down like I was putting down the top. When I checked it out I see that the latch for the top has popped out of the slot it goes into while closed. Its out about 1/4 inch max. When I try and pull the latch handle it wont budge. I tried to push it forward to get the latch back in the slot with no luck. An ideas whats going on here? Did something internal break? To get the windows to stay up I have to press the sensor with my finger so they go up then turn the car off. The sensor is obviously still working.
Try putting the top all the way down & then all the way back up being carefull to center the latch & don't release the top switch until the light goes off & then manualy latch the locking lever.

Milehigh this link may help you:
Reading Comprehension
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Matt

Actually, if you read the quote of his you used - it won't budge. So putting it all the way down and back up - probably not an option. Try the reading comprehension thread - I'll meet you there. :dance:

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 01-11-2012 at 09:28 AM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #7

The latch wont move at all. The button and handle seems stuck. The portion of the latch that normally goes into the hole with the sensor is slipped back and resting against the plastic.

Last edited by Earn; 01-11-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added more detail...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
The latch wont move at all. The button and handle seems stuck. The portion of the latch that normally goes into the hole with the sensor is slipped back and resting against the plastic.
Sounds to me like a mechanical issue that may require some persuasion!!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #9

My thought as well but I thought I'd ask before I started prying on it. The last thing I need is to break it worse and end up with a top that I can't close. Tonight I'll see what I can come up with when I can spend a little more time with it.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #10

The problem fixed its self at 80mph on the highway. Talk about scary. All of a sudden the top popped open and I hed to hold it down until the exit. I was worried I wouldnt be able to get it to close but when I used the button to open it the latched popped open like normal. I cloed the top and got it home. Ive opened and closed it a few times without issie. Im guessing the last time I latched it I didnt have it all the way in the hole. Glad its fixed but freaked me out for a min on the road.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
The problem fixed its self at 80mph on the highway. Talk about scary. All of a sudden the top popped open and I hed to hold it down until the exit. I was worried I wouldnt be able to get it to close but when I used the button to open it the latched popped open like normal. I cloed the top and got it home. Ive opened and closed it a few times without issie. Im guessing the last time I latched it I didnt have it all the way in the hole. Glad its fixed but freaked me out for a min on the road.
Man, that is way lucky. Be careful.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #12

Yea thanks. Im glad it didnt rip the top all the way open and I was able to grab the handle.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #13

BYprodriver, I think you are right. I always want to release the button when the top is up or down .....enough. We all should hold the button until it stops by itself. It's hard to do but you have to do it. The mechanics must reach "home''and the limit switch will have done it's job by shutting the drive (lift) motor off. Hope your top gets fixed !!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #14

Garage
Yeah, there is a sequence & every step must be completed to properly open or close the top on most convertible cars. On the 996 cab the last step is the rear windows go up automatically, that's why you see so many driving around with top & front windows up & rear windows down, they didn't hold the button long enough to complete the sequence.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Yea thanks. Im glad it didnt rip the top all the way open and I was able to grab the handle.
You found a way to make driving your Porsche more exciting!

At 1 of the tire stores I worked for our best mechanic took a 911 cab for a test drive after doing a alignment. When he came back the top had a big rip in it, I assume he didn't latch the top properly & he was going alot faster than he said. :dance:
Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
You found a way to make driving your Porsche more exciting!

At 1 of the tire stores I worked for our best mechanic took a 911 cab for a test drive after doing a alignment. When he came back the top had a big rip in it, I assume he didn't latch the top properly & he was going alot faster than he said. :dance:
Oh wow Id hate to be that customer
Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Oh wow Id hate to be that customer
If the top wasn't new, I would love to be the customer. That's a new top.