Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2017, 04:58 AM   #21

really wasn't too bad. I've only tried to wrap a couple simpler items before. It just took a little time and patience. I watched a bunch a videos on YouTube and that certainly made some of the curves around the E-brake depression easier.

since95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #22

Does anyone know whether there’s a vinyl wrap out there that matches Porsche arctic silver?
Old 03-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #23

It’s interesting to see how truegearhead’s mod interests have evolved over the last decade ��.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
1) Pick a paint color that you like. Matching colors to Porsche's in spray cans along with compatible primer and clear coats can be found online
2) Remove the soft touch material by sanding
3) sand the entire surface with a fine grit paper, 400 or so
4) prime then sand, 400 grit
5) color then wet sand, 1500 grit
6) clear then wet sand, 1500 or 2000 grit
7) polish with increasingly fine rubbing and polishing componds, 3m makes really good stuff
8) wax
I just painted my inner door sills this weekend, and I would suggest a small revision to the instructions above. The rubbery "soft touch" material dissolves with 91% rubbing alcohol. To remove the material more quickly, I "wet sanded" the surfaces with 150 grit sandpaper and 91% rubbing alcohol, wiping off the residue when I changed sandpaper squares. Once all of the "soft touch" material was gone, I then wet sanded the surface again using 220, then 320 grit sandpaper, again using the rubbing alcohol as a lubricant.

I didn't want a glossy finish, as I was just trying to match (more or less) the existing black plastic trim pieces inside the car, which have a little bit of texture. So once the sanded plastic was down to a greyish sheen, I then painted it with a simple all-in-one "primer + paint" matte black spraypaint, using 4 or 5 thin coats (I lost count). The sills turned out better than I expected.

Last edited by Banana S; 03-15-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote