Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

is Litronics bi-xenon or low beam only?

I'm looking on ebay for Litronics. I found a new pair that explains it as having a halogen high beam. I thought they were bi-xenon, ie, the projector handles both low and high beam. Did Litronics change to bi-xenon at a certain year?

baxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #2

Garage
I can only say for the 03-04 the Xenon lamp have the same out put in high and low beam. the lamp housing changes position slightly and a Halogen lamp under the xenon lamp is turned on during high beam operation
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #3

Early Lits were HID on low beams, a combo of HID/Halogen on the high beams (the low beam HID was motorized and tilted up to fill out the high beams). Later cars has dual HID's.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I can only say for the 03-04 the Xenon lamp have the same out put in high and low beam. the lamp housing changes position slightly and a Halogen lamp under the xenon lamp is turned on during high beam operation
Are you sure that the lamp housing changes postion, or could it be that a shield inside the housing changes postion? If the entire projector housing changed postion, you would only be getting half of the possible light out of the projector.

Here's a pic of how most (i believe) bi-xenons work.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Early Lits were HID on low beams, a combo of HID/Halogen on the high beams (the low beam HID was motorized and tilted up to fill out the high beams). Later cars has dual HID's.
By "dual HID's", do you mean like the bi-xenon projector in the illustration above?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #6

In my 2004 my low-beam is my Xenon/HID, when you pull the lever to high-beam, the Xenon/HID raises up and the halogen high-beams also turn on.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #7

Garage
100% positive the projector housing tilts up. The motor is attached to a pivot on the inboard side of the projector housing and when the high beam is operator that motor shifts the projector upward and slightly outward. Ive had mine apart because this pivot is a ball and socket it unclipped and the light only pointed down. I had the HID lamp out the ingnitor out. the high beam lamp out. This was the only way to get 2 fingers underneath the socket and clip it back onto the ball for the motor. There is no flap as shown in the illustrations in an originally equipped 03 - 04.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

wow!! I thought Litronics was a bixenon system like in the illustration. I wonder if JFP is talking about post 04 boxsters when he says "later cars".
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster View Post
By "dual HID's", do you mean like the bi-xenon projector in the illustration above?
I meant that both the low and high beams are HID, rather than the HID/Halogen combination used in the early Lits.................
Old 10-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I meant that both the low and high beams are HID, rather than the HID/Halogen combination used in the early Lits.................
Thanks!! Do you know when they went to the duel HID? I'm guessing it was the 987?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #11

It was with the 987, but you need to be careful as the 987's also had halogen lights that looked a lot like the HID's projectors...........
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #12

got it... thx!