Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #1

Hp upgrades

My last car, years ago, was a 1993 Mazda rx7 twin turbo. There were hp upgrades that generally everyone would follow in certain order. For instance, intake, exhaust, down pipe, intercooler, ecu, boost pressure increase, fuel injectors, mid pipe, boost pressure increase.

What are the normal mod order of events for a 986? I have a 2002 boxster S. This will be a fun street car.

The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The dude
My last car, years ago, was a 1993 Mazda rx7 twin turbo. There were hp upgrades that generally everyone would follow in certain order. For instance, intake, exhaust, down pipe, intercooler, ecu, boost pressure increase, fuel injectors, mid pipe, boost pressure increase.

What are the normal mod order of events for a 986? I have a 2002 boxster S. This will be a fun street car.
Unlike your Mazda of old, it's both difficult and expensive to squeeze more hp out of the boxster's normally aspirated engine. However, many of us have been successful with some of the following upgrades :

1. A comprehensive and methodical approach to revamping the exhaust system; i.e. headers, cats, cat back ect...
2. Light weight under drive pulley
3. Larger throttle body and plenum
4. ECU re-programming
5. Lighter wheels (a potentially faster and better performing vehicle by means of
reducing unsprung weight and rotational mass)
6. Reducing weight in general; i.e. spare tires, oem seats, lighter battery ect.. (this is
more aimed toward tracking your boxster .
7. Suspension upgrades (though not a direct increase in power, a faster vehicle can be
had by means of better handling and performance .
8. A divorce (reduction in weight by means of one less passenger)

and the list goes on ...........
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #3

Step One: Inherit a lot of money, or win the lottery…………….
Step Two: The rest is easy...........
Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Unlike your Mazda of old, it's both difficult and expensive to squeeze more hp out of the boxster's normally aspirated engine. However, many of us have been successful with some of the following upgrades :

6. Reducing weight in general; i.e. spare tires, oem seats, lighter battery ect.. (this is
more aimed toward tracking your boxster .

8. A divorce (reduction in weight by means of one less passenger)

and the list goes on ...........

Cont....

Cut out burgers and fries. For most, it is easier to loose 10-20 pounds in the waistline, then cutting weight from the Boxster.

New and stickier tires made the biggest difference to mine. Also a good driving school!

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Try this

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/itisn%27tfastenough

though the first decision is figuring out where you want the HP and what you are willing to give up to get it there....besides $$$$$. Is it stoplight power, high end track power, sound, bragging items...
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

comments

It sounds like what I expected. I didn't think buying a Porsche was going to be a car to upgrade...... just an awesome car to drive.

I will concentrate on just cleaning the car up cosmetically to make it flawless. Then save for the 911!

That sounds like the better plan, you think?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

Save up for the 3.6L swap... around $15k, or 3.8L swap around $20k.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Several on this board don't see the 911 as an upgrade.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice
Cont....

Cut out burgers and fries. For most, it is easier to loose 10-20 pounds in the waistline, then cutting weight from the Boxster. :p

New and stickier tires made the biggest difference to mine. Also a good driving school!

Yep. I used to race bicycles and I still ride quite a bit. I get a kick out of guys that are chasing bike weight. After you get to about 19 lbs, its easily $1000 per pound to get any lower. and I look at them and they could easily lose 20-30 lbs off their fat butts for free. Hey just take dump before you ride and you probably lose a pound. There, you just saved a grand.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
My last car, years ago, was a 1993 Mazda rx7 twin turbo. There were hp upgrades that generally everyone would follow in certain order.
3.4L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 4.0L, 7.0L LS1 Chevy V8
Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
Yep. I used to race bicycles and I still ride quite a bit. I get a kick out of guys that are chasing bike weight. After you get to about 19 lbs, its easily $1000 per pound to get any lower. and I look at them and they could easily lose 20-30 lbs off their fat butts for free. Hey just take dump before you ride and you probably lose a pound. There, you just saved a grand.

My road bike weighs 13.1 pounds (you're right on the equation - about a $1000 per pound ). However, as a former CAT 1 racer, even at 45 years old my body fat percentage is still only about 5% .
Old 09-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
My road bike weighs 13.1 pounds (you're right on the equation - about a $1000 per pound ). However, as a former CAT 1 racer, even at 45 years old my body fat percentage is still only about 5% .

Cat 1, I'm impressed. I made it to cat 2. Well, actually I placed in enough races to make cat 1, but the USCF changed the rules that year and only national team members were cat 1.

Still ride quite a bit. Cycling here in Miami is great. Organized rides 6 days a week, 50-150 people show up. Several cat 1 and 2s and a couple of ex-pros that really cane the group. Not at 5% body fat, but I'm losing weight staedily.

By the way, you can't race your bike in sanctioned events. Its too light!

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1993 Saab 9000
Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Cat 1, I'm impressed. I made it to cat 2. Well, actually I placed in enough races to make cat 1, but the USCF changed the rules that year and only national team members were cat 1.

Still ride quite a bit. Cycling here in Miami is great. Organized rides 6 days a week, 50-150 people show up. Several cat 1 and 2s and a couple of ex-pros that really cane the group. Not at 5% body fat, but I'm losing weight staedily.

By the way, you can't race your bike in sanctioned events. Its too light!

Years back, I was on "assignment" in Miami for awhile . It's flatter than "piss on a plate" there ! No wonder there were no "climbers" !! LOL ! Up here in New England it's all killer hills and climbs .
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #14

Originally posted Blue2000S "Several on this board don't see the 911 as an upgrade."

Agreed. Your S will run with, or outrun, any base 911. And out handle it also.

Oh and you guys let me know when you want to come up and ride the "hills". Mine start at 9,000 feet.... and go UP from there. This is where the climber's train.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 09-11-2011 at 09:39 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #15

First, I am one of those who do not think of a 911 as an upgrade, just a different and more expensive car. As far as the list to upgrade power cheaply, it is as follows:
After these it gets really expensive and not worth it. I really think that the best way to gain speed is to learn to drive the car.

Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #16

cat 1

Quote:

I know we are swithing thread topics..... but, I am a triathlete and an ironman. I have to ask out of curiousity..... what was your power output as a cat 1 racer? Also, your my new hero.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
Originally posted Blue2000S "Several on this board don't see the 911 as an upgrade."

Agreed. Your S will run with, or outrun, any base 911. And out handle it also.

Oh and you guys let me know when you want to come up and ride the "hills". Mine start at 9,000 feet.... and go UP from there. This is where the climber's train.

BTW- I find it interesting that people often share similar interests. It seems to me from the chat here that many Porsce owners are probably cyclists as well. Interesting.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
I know we are swithing thread topics..... but, I am a triathlete and an ironman. I have to ask out of curiousity..... what was your power output as a cat 1 racer? Also, your my new hero.
To be honest with you, when I raced as a CAT 1 it was during my college years, and for a short while thereafter. I'm now 45 years old, so that was quite along time ago . LOL ! Unfortunately, there wasn't much technology back then to really map a person's performance like today . In any event, most of the riding that I do today is purely recreational with occasional master's road race. I'm much more of a "climber" than I am a sprinter .
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Years back, I was on "assignment" in Miami for awhile . It's flatter than "piss on a plate" there ! No wonder there were no "climbers" !! LOL ! Up here in New England it's all killer hills and climbs .

It is flat here. All we have is the "Alp du Rickenbacker", the bridge to Key Biscayne that goes up a whopping 90 feet. But we are fast. The training rides/races are always 25 mph+, many times 35 mph+ for some fairly long stretches.

Raced in southern Wisconsin and there were some short steep climbs that I miss, but at my age, not too much. I raced criteriums almost exclusively, which were usually pretty flat.

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1993 Saab 9000
Old 09-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
It is flat here. All we have is the "Alp du Rickenbacker", the bridge to Key Biscayne that goes up a whopping 90 feet. But we are fast. The training rides/races are always 25 mph+, many times 35 mph+ for some fairly long stretches.

Raced in southern Wisconsin and there were some short steep climbs that I miss, but at my age, not too much. I raced criteriums almost exclusively, which were usually pretty flat.
I know the bridge well. I use to ride over it on my way the Bill Baggs Point !