Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Turbo

After much deliberation I decided to purchase a 2001 996TT. As much as I like my 2000S, the reliability of the M96, lack of aftermarket support and very expensive swaps or engine builds led me to the decision.

The 996TT conversely has a reputation for being extremely reliable, has huge aftermarket support and reasonable big HP gains for the $. 996TT prices have really come down. Consumables like fluids, filters, rotors, pads, and tires are marginally higher than the Box.

I bought the 996TT back in April with the thought to sell the Box, thinking it would be a $28K upgrade. Price of a Raby motor, fabspeed exhaust, HP clutch and the shipping to/from Canada.

I managed to get the 996TT within budget and it included fabspeed, upgraded hoses, diverters and intake. I changed my mind and will keep the Box, but think I could pull the swap for <$30K.

I could not resist the $1,400 ECU upgrade that added 80HP; it should be making 520 with all the stuff which I will confirm at the next porsche cub dyno session.

After over 5K KM, > 500 laps around the local track, I have to say the power of 996TT, AWD and big brakes is addicting. One day I had both at the track so I could jump from one to the other. No question the Box is extremely well balanced, a slightly better handling car than its high tech brother.

I seriously considered spending the big budget on the Box, just couldn't do it for 350HP and the hope the upgraded M96 would hold up. I will hang on to the Box and wait to see if the forum solves the $HP/reliability issue. Maybe Jake's new book can get the DIYer a $10K solution. That could be interesting project.

Sourcerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #2

You're living my dream!

When I find the cash, this is exactly what I'm going to do myself. Keep my boxster and buy a TT... hopefully it will be a 997 though, because I like the interior and exterior much better. And they'll be old by the time I find the cash

It all boils down to me needed a LOT more HP from my sports car.

My only hesitation is the cost of replacement on the turbochargers. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-08-2011 at 11:32 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #3

Agreed on the 997, they are still 2X the 996 money right now. I track a lot and self insuring the 996 is enough of a ri$k.

My original plan has been to either upgrade or enhance the existing turbo’s along with bigger intercoolers (this winter). You get huge HP gains for the money (relative to the M96 motors), lots of options, just depends on your budget.

Too bad the LSX series of GM motors don't fit in the Box. By my calculations the engine bay is 5" short. Like most of the 986 fans, I wish there were performance options that offered reasonable power upgrades for the $.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

Not true. Brad Roberts Racing plus another guy from Mississippi on this forum have shoehorned a LS1 V8 into a boxster. It's very doable according to them, and a fraction of the price of a Porsche motor of any variety.

That's my dream, btw... a Porsche Boxvette. I just have no money right now.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #5

there's also a subaru conversion in the works, but i think the whole purse/pigs ear analogy applies; the boxster is what it is and trying to make it something else has other trade-offs. i like the turbo/gt3/gt2 engine as well; good move.

where to you track near bragg creek - race city? is it true that it's going to be shut down? where else is there - drive to mission? somewhere in the states?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My only hesitation is the cost of replacement on the turbochargers. What are your thoughts on this?
If properly treated (spooled down and cooled, when parking) and maintained (good oil and interval change) turbochargers should last a long time (>50K miles). They can easily be re-built (UMW for example), replaced, or upgraded for as little as $1k each. Prices go up fast from there. Upgarded turbochargers also need other upgrades (intercooler, tuning, and etc) which increases the total costs significantly.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #7

Yes as I recall the 996 turbo motors have different heads and crank etc.; a different structure. The regular M96 problems are not problems are not there, correct?

They are extremely fast on the track and have PSM to catch you. They just walk away from me on the track as soon as there are straights to deal with and are right on me in corners but then again I am a beginner. My impression is that they handle extremely well

With the right skills development is it possible to stay with a regular 996 on certain tracks? They really quick too
Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #8

The price of a 986 is so cheap right now and you get a fantastic chassis and braking for the money. It could be a great candidate for a swap to a more powerful and reliable motor. The subie swap looks interesting and will keep my eye on this option as it evolves.

I have a lift in my shop and took the opportunity to make some measurements when upgrading the IMS, RMS and replacing the clutch. Assuming the factory Porsche transaxle stays in its factory position it appears to be impossible to fit the LSX in the remaining space without cheating into the cockpit. My disclaimer is I’m not a professionally trained technician or fabricator.

The local track (race city) is closing when winter arrives. Lots of speculation about what will happen next. I’m still in denial.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:21 AM   #9

When the hell is someone going to offer the kit to put an audi V8 in a boxster or at least provide a write up. A don't think a Subi motor would do the car justice, at least a Audi motor is ultimately made by the same company that makes Porsche motors.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #10

Rem evade hybrids did a ls? In a 996. So it can be done. They are doing a Boxster now I think.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
Crazy Austrian

Garage
You guys might want to check this out. No comprehensive write up but interesting nontheless. I had the same lack of hp problems as the rest of you but I'm solving mine with 997.2 DFI engine stock 385hp 330 torque but I'm pumping up to about 430 hp in my 04 Boxster S. A little slow getting it done, never enought time but for those of you who can do there own work you can get it done for around 15k
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #12

Wow...nice! What electronic interface issues have you had? What gearbox did you use? Could this installation extend down to a 2000 S? Was the weight and distribution there-of affected? What are you planning on doing with the suspension if anything?

Last edited by jaykay; 09-13-2011 at 12:17 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
They are extremely fast on the track and have PSM to catch you. They just walk away from me on the track as soon as there are straights to deal with and are right on me in corners but then again I am a beginner. My impression is that they handle extremely well
Couple of thoughts come to mind. First, the 911 weight distribution with the motor sitting in the far back makes it spin-out prone on the track if you lift off the power in mid turn. The all wheel drive models (incl. the turbo) diminish this issue, but it still exists.

Secondly, I've seen Miatas lap turbos all day every day at the track events in which I participate. The turbos scream by on the straightaway, but they're always waiving the miata boys on by on the second or third turn after the straightaway

Frankly, I don't care. I want a 997 turbo. I've always wanted one since I was a kid. I have enjoyed my 97 boxster and will keep it until I can afford to get the turbo, but it's just too underpowered for street use in Houston. Now if I lived in North Carolina, I'd probably be singing a very different tune. But I don't. I live in a place with lots of flat, straight roads and a turbo would be piles of fun compared to a boxster.

If my motor blows before I save enough to buy a turbo, I'll probably put something bigger in it to increase the value of ownership (not increase the financial value when selling it) like a Subi or an LS1. I would not throw big money into a Porsche motor into my particular car, it being a 97 with the weaker subframe issues, lack of glass window, old interior, etc.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #14

Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like I really have to work on my skill level. The track had 3 straight sections and a long high speed sweeper which I found hard to deal with.....plenty of turns too but you really have to be on it to make up time there....a very technical track

997 turbos are just incredible. I hope to get hold of one someday. You should check out the Top Gear (the British BBC version) segment on on it. It will really pump you up. Even Jeremy Clarkson, who hates 911s, was wooed and wowed.

Last edited by jaykay; 09-14-2011 at 07:32 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #15

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #16

Yep I will try and get it done!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #17

Congratulations my friend. Within the next 8-12 months I will be in same boat. I will be in the market for a 996TT. To your like, I will hold onto my Boxster as well. Part in fact to the relatively extensive mod list I have managed acquire thus far. My Boxster will soon graduate to a dedicated track car. Whereas the 996TT will serve as my new DD. Whilst in Los Angeles last week for business. I had the pleasure of jumping behind the wheel of a '02 996TT and it met my every expectation and more. Wow, what a delight. Drivability is there and power to boot. Nonetheless, enjoy her in the best of health!

2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote